Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Motorcycles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/)
-   -   Direct injection motorcycles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/direct-injection-motorcycles-13794.html)

Sludgy 08-19-2011 11:45 AM

Direct injection motorcycles

Other than a few Italian scooters, no motorcycles have GDI (gasoline direct injection). I've always been disappointed with my XR650L's excessive weight and poor fuel economy.

A direct - injected ~250 cc two stroke bike would substantially reduce weight and improve economy without reducing performance. It would also ride a helluva lot smoother than my thumper.

Now, BRP makes Evinrude outboard motors with direct fuel injection, from 25 to 300 HP. They've been doing it for several years now. Why hasn't Honda done it on any dirt (or street) bikes?

cat0020 08-19-2011 12:47 PM

Re: Direct injection motorcycles

I think the ultimate goal should be do away from burning fossil fuel altogether.

Sludgy 08-29-2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat0020 (Post 163093)
I think the ultimate goal should be do away from burning fossil fuel altogether.

LOL.... that's way too funny coming from an owner of seven fossil -fueled vehicles.

cat0020 08-29-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sludgy (Post 163212)
LOL.... that's way too funny coming from an owner of seven fossil -fueled vehicles.

None of them purchased new..
I buy used/neglected/abused vehicles, fix them up and use them.. instead of new fossil-fuel burning vehicles...

theclencher 08-29-2011 09:31 PM

Funnier than a 21 mpg full sized pickup driver on a gassaving site?

Sludgy 08-30-2011 04:07 AM

Let's face it. there are NO Nissan Leaf owners at this site.

alvaro84 08-30-2011 06:35 AM

And there are no electric long range bike owners. I'd like to be one, but these bikes don't exist :o
So I just keep Teresa until, like, wheels off. She has some range.
I see a possibility though to get a short range one for offroad and/or commuting - as soon as I find one that I like and is affordable to me.

bones33 08-30-2011 10:49 AM

Kinda stumps me too. GDI is part of the base model of the cheapest Hyundai offered in the USA. The excuse certainly isn't cost.

I think there is more development potential that hasn't been realized yet for GDI. The 40mpg for the 1.6L GDI Accent is the same as the 40mpg for the 1.8L Elantra. I'm just not seeing the benefit of GDI yet. Hopefully we'll begin seeing it soon.

bowtieguy 08-30-2011 01:42 PM

incoming digression...

well, agree w/ her or not, you gotta give daryl hanna credit for living what she believes.

theclencher 08-30-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alvaro84 (Post 163223)
And there are no electric long range bike owners. I'd like to be one, but these bikes don't exist.

I've been getting almost all my local transport needs done on electric bicycle or bicycle. I've come to like that electric more than I thought I would. Yes it is range limited. I'm contemplating hot-rodding it with a bigger battery pack.