Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Winter Blend Arrival (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/winter-blend-arrival-13848.html)

VX_Arky 09-19-2011 04:54 PM

Winter Blend Arrival

So it's now getting toward the end of September, which means it will be cold for some of us soon and the rest of us in a few more weeks. When does this winter blend of fuel arrive, and how much of a significant drop in FE can I expect? I'm running 47 mpg right now, so should I look for 10-20 percent drop? Or worse???? :eek:

Jay2TheRescue 09-20-2011 03:19 AM

Re: Winter Blend Arrival

I believe its the first day in October (or is it November?) through the first day in April. I tried looking it up online and could not find specific dates.

GasSavers_BEEF 09-20-2011 05:15 AM

I thought it was different for different areas. I didn't think florida (or at least the southern part of it) got the winter blend at all.

remember that it isn't just the gas that hits your FE in the winter. usually the driving conditions are different (snow, ice, and what not) and also the warm up times are significantly greater. also if you are one that warms up his car in the morning, that pings it as well.

add|ct 09-20-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 163627)
I thought it was different for different areas. I didn't think florida (or at least the southern part of it) got the winter blend at all.

remember that it isn't just the gas that hits your FE in the winter. usually the driving conditions are different (snow, ice, and what not) and also the warm up times are significantly greater. also if you are one that warms up his car in the morning, that pings it as well.

Perhaps I'm a newb on these matters, but I thought summer blend gas contained perhaps more ethanol, at the reduction of FE? Burns cleaner, burns faster?:confused:

I'd say the cold weather is the biggest factor, higher starting idle over a longer period of time. More fuel used with thicker oil relative to ambiet temps, etc.

GasSavers_BEEF 09-20-2011 05:46 PM

I am just sharing what I have read/been told.

summer blend yields you better efficiency.
winter blend yields you much better cold start performance

I have never tried it but I have heard that you would have a time starting an engine in the winter using the summer blend gas. that may only be true on older non-FI engine....it may not be true at all.

realize that there is a lot of heresay about this but even I will say that there is usually one tank during the spring where my FE jumps around 3-5MPG and stays there pretty much through the summer.

add|ct 09-20-2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 163633)
I am just sharing what I have read/been told.

summer blend yields you better efficiency.
winter blend yields you much better cold start performance

I have never tried it but I have heard that you would have a time starting an engine in the winter using the summer blend gas. that may only be true on older non-FI engine....it may not be true at all.

realize that there is a lot of heresay about this but even I will say that there is usually one tank during the spring where my FE jumps around 3-5MPG and stays there pretty much through the summer.

I noticed my FE did that this spring, but it got bad recently and I think I have to chalk it up to being a clutch that's going out, not fuel quality.

VX_Arky 09-20-2011 08:16 PM

So nobody really knows? You guys are a lot of help!!!! :D