Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Topping Off When Filling Up? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/topping-off-when-filling-up-13914.html)

Doogals 10-31-2011 07:54 PM

Topping Off When Filling Up?

Wanted to ask around and see what techniques you guys use when topping off your tank during a fill up. Did a search for this information but the results all seemed to date back to 2008 and earlier, thought it was time for a revisit.

So what do you do? Wait for a single click? Double or triple click? Round up to even dollar amount? Round up to even gallon/liter amount?

I understand consistency is important, and some people go as far as to ensure they use the same pump at the same gas station every time ? or even the same time of day to account for temperature variances.

So? what do you do?

VetteOwner 10-31-2011 08:29 PM

Re: Topping Off When Filling Up?

i go to the select few gas stations because their the routinely cheaper ones.

depends on what vehicle i have: s10 i fill that baby up till i cant squeeze anymore in/ nearest dollar after i get tired of squeezing the handle a buncha times.

chevette usually the 1st or 2nd click cuz it loves to overflow then maybe nearest quarter or anything in a 0 or 5 haha.

blazer is about the same as the s10.

no preference on what pump/time of day/night if its cold and windy/blowing rain its usually till it shuts off then one more good squeeze haha.

not too picky but i always fill it up all the way.

theholycow 11-01-2011 04:58 AM

Same gas station every time. Same pump, same side, same direction, if possible. I don't worry about time of day but it ends up being the same time of day anyway.

I stick the cap in the handle and take my hand off it. When it clicks off, I do not try to squeeze more in. It's nowhere near perfect but it's the best consistency I can manage.

Sometimes circumstance forces me to go somewhere else. I note it in my gaslog. I also note if anything else interfered with fill consistency, like a pump acting wonky.

Jay2TheRescue 11-01-2011 05:44 AM

I do the same, I wedge the gas cap in the pump handle, go to the first click, then I hang up the pump. I do not try to force any extra fuel in. This can damage the evaporative emissions system on some vehicles, causing the system to be filled with liquid fuel.

IndyFetch 11-01-2011 06:04 AM

I fill up my Hondas until I can't fit any more in. I haven't had any ill effects thus far (at least 2 Hondas with over 230,000 miles). I don't top off the Chevy as much, because I cannot see the fuel going in (it has a flap, whereas the Hondas do not). Plus, the Chevy has a 34-gallon tank... topping off is moot.

Stopping for gas in Indy can be an exercise in waiting for a pump, so I want to fill up as infrequently as possible. I can go over 500 miles in the Civic by topping off.

GasSavers_WD40 11-01-2011 07:58 AM

I stop at the first click at any gas station and any pump .. it all evens out in the end ..
IMHO if your gonna get too anal about how and where and why, then maybe your just not getting enough mpg to begin with .. :)

GeneK 11-07-2011 07:44 PM

1st click on full.
1st click on slow.

Dr. Jerryrigger 11-10-2011 01:50 PM

I do top off but think it's a bad idea. It's best not to dump liquid fuel into your evap system. I do it so I know my tank numbers are more accurate, but I may be hurting my FE by doing so. The difference in not topping off will average out, but I want do know now for sure; which is dumb and impulsive and working against my over all goal (being a cheap skate).
Also +1 on using the same pump when ever possible.

1cheap1 11-12-2011 07:23 AM

I fill to the very top, including the fill tube. On the other hand i have run my car dry, put in a set amount and run dry again. Less fuel, less weight, exact mpg. I am now running with a full tank as i believe gas to going to go up again. The only good thing is that i don't drive that much anymore. If gas goes way up again looking to get over 750 miles on a full tank of 13.2 gallons.

GasSavers_JoeBob 11-13-2011 12:26 AM

I don't top off...the Cad and the Geo both are completely full when the pump clicks...any more and it spills all over the side of the car and/or the ground.