Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   95 Honda VX Hatch (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/95-honda-vx-hatch-13935.html)

Kendaddy126 11-08-2011 09:12 PM

95 Honda VX Hatch

Hello, I love the site. I have a BONE Stock 1995 Honda VX Hatchback. I travel for work, so I need good MPG. I stumbled along this little gem and expected to get 30+ MPG. I never expected to get over 40! I gave it a tune up, check air pressure, clean air filter, etc... I average a little over 41MPG. It has over 200k on it. It is loaded with about 300lbs of samples for work (can't leave it behind) and about 220lbs of me. t-belt was done 40k ago. I didn't go with plat plugs, used NGK split fires. Any tips would be appreciated... I don't want to complain about 41mpg, but I have heard as much as 50 on these cars. My driving style is conservative, but not miserly.. I run 7-9mph over the limit. I accelerate gently, but not like a little old lady..If it's hot outside, I run the AC.. I'm not a sadist:) The worst mileage i ever got was 36, the best 44. I would like any tips on a chip.. but I heard those things can mess up the motor. I also thought about doing a HHO system, but I heard they can mess up the motor, and they don't work. Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

theholycow 11-09-2011 04:50 AM

Re: 95 Honda VX Hatch

Do you know if the car is all original equipment? I thought the VX wasn't available with AC.

Splitfire and other gimmick multi-electrode plugs are, at best, a waste of money.

As I understand, the VX is quite sensitive to weight, so you may be at a disadvantage compared to VXes that are not used to haul work samples around.

A chip is going to be for making more power by using more fuel, not for making better fuel economy. I wouldn't be surprised if a chip for the VX disables lean burn, one of the things that makes the VX efficient. Speaking of lean burn, do you know if it's working?

HHO doesn't work. People have been barking up that tree forever but good quality data is still curiously absent. If you really botch it up it could mess up the motor but I wouldn't expect that to happen. If you do experiment with it, do so without supporting the HHO industry, which is chock full of scummy businesses running scams...do it all using free plans and commodity parts.

Besides controlling your speed, do you have any other habits that affect fuel economy? For example, coasting slowly through fresh green lights instead of stopping at stale red lights, taking turns fast instead of slowing and re-accelerating after the turn, etc.

Have you tried increasing the air pressure in your tires? Especially with the VX's small tires and the extra weight, I bet you could see a decent advantage just by airing up more.

IndyFetch 11-09-2011 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 164373)
Do you know if the car is all original equipment? I thought the VX wasn't available with AC.

Splitfire and other gimmick multi-electrode plugs are, at best, a waste of money.

As I understand, the VX is quite sensitive to weight, so you may be at a disadvantage compared to VXes that are not used to haul work samples around.

A chip is going to be for making more power by using more fuel, not for making better fuel economy. I wouldn't be surprised if a chip for the VX disables lean burn, one of the things that makes the VX efficient. Speaking of lean burn, do you know if it's working?

HHO doesn't work. People have been barking up that tree forever but good quality data is still curiously absent. If you really botch it up it could mess up the motor but I wouldn't expect that to happen. If you do experiment with it, do so without supporting the HHO industry, which is chock full of scummy businesses running scams...do it all using free plans and commodity parts.

Besides controlling your speed, do you have any other habits that affect fuel economy? For example, coasting slowly through fresh green lights instead of stopping at stale red lights, taking turns fast instead of slowing and re-accelerating after the turn, etc.

Have you tried increasing the air pressure in your tires? Especially with the VX's small tires and the extra weight, I bet you could see a decent advantage just by airing up more.

My VX had working A/C. I think it was a dealer-installed option. I remember looking at the HX when it was still available, and it did not have factory air either. However, on the "build your own" area of the website, it was a $1100 option, not including dealer installation.

One thing you might think of regarding performance mods for the VX would be springs and shocks. If the VX is always carrying a heavy load, you may consider some Eibach Pro springs and shocks. They'll lower the car slightly (1.5 - 1.75 inches) and get it out of the wind a little bit. More importantly, it will get rid of the rear sag that goes with a loaded VX. Your headlights will be pointed a the road and not the trees. :)

Kendaddy126 11-09-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 164373)

I believe the car is completely stock. Air filter, everything. I'm not sure about the "lean burn" ive heard so much about. I can tell when the extra valves kick in... if that's what they are refering to. The ac and power steering were options... I don't have power steering, don't need it. I can't live in South Carolina without air. I do try to coast to stops and I rather enjoy "Hugging" a curve. I thought the plugs were a gimick. I think the only advantage to a platinum is longer life. I cleaned the intake today, a mechanic friend of mine told me that the carbon build up is a result of the "Lean Burn" so it must be working... very dirty... It runs smoother now and accelerates better. The tires call for 35psi, I have them at 40.... do you think I should take them to 45 or so? I didn't think HHO worked... There are chips out there that promise increased MPG... I'm just skeptical. I don't really care about performance. I have a Mustang GT if I want to go fast. Thanks for the advice:D

theholycow 11-09-2011 10:42 AM

If the tires are rated for a maximum of 35psi then you may not want to exceed it. It's harmless but seems improper; I worry that it could cause legal exposure after a crash. The extra inflation I advocate is no higher than the tire's rated maximum, between that and the minimum recommended by the car manufacturer.

Chips almost all promise increased fuel economy but that promise is usually BS. At most I might expect it to have an effect on fuel economy for a stoplight racer, not someone who drives efficiently. On a VX I really expect it to reduce fuel economy pretty severely.

Kendaddy126 11-09-2011 05:44 PM

I was wrong on tires. HONDA recomends 34psi, The tires themselves have a max psi at 50. I filled up today, after paying attention to my driving style and slowing down a bit, I managed 42.53mpg. I was also stuck in traffic for a long time.. I believe I could have done much better were I not in heavy traffic for over an hour.