Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Reputable Engine Importers? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/reputable-engine-importers-14069.html)

Davo53209 02-02-2012 04:26 PM

Reputable Engine Importers?

As of today, I found a shell for an 89 Honda Civic Hf that appears to be in mint condition off of Craigslist. All that's required is an engine to be dropped in. My question is two fold. First, would I be better off going with the stock 1.5liter Honda D15B6 engine to maximize fuel economy, or would it be possible to squeeze out a few more MPG's with the 1.3 liter EV1 I4 engine? And yes I know, that one is carborated.

Secondly, where can I find a reputable engine importer that sells low mileaged used engines? Thank You.

IndyFetch 02-02-2012 05:48 PM

Re: Reputable Engine Importers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davo53209 (Post 165601)
As of today, I found a shell for an 89 Honda Civic Hf that appears to be in mint condition off of Craigslist. All that's required is an engine to be dropped in. My question is two fold. First, would I be better off going with the stock 1.5liter Honda D15B6 engine to maximize fuel economy, or would it be possible to squeeze out a few more MPG's with the 1.3 liter EV1 I4 engine? And yes I know, that one is carborated.

Secondly, where can I find a reputable engine importer that sells low mileaged used engines? Thank You.

I have learned not to trust imported engines. I know two people that have bought them (I do not know where from). One had a spun bearing so the engine had to be rebuild. The other had a cracked block.

hondaguy72 02-03-2012 05:16 AM

I've had good luck with hmotorsonline. Always swap out timing belts prior to installing the motor as low mile motors probably have never been serviced other than fluid changes.

The stock efi motor is probably more efficient and will pass smog if necessary.

trollbait 02-03-2012 05:53 AM

Along with smog, you might not be able to use an older model engine in a newer car and pass emissions in some states.

silversol 02-03-2012 01:08 PM

This place is local to me in atlanta I have bought 15+ engines from them over the years and never had an issue with any od them. They are called Nad auto.

GasSavers_Erik 02-04-2012 05:36 AM

If you get an imported carbed engine, you'll also need all of the accessories that go with it- the ECU, emissions control boxes, etc. for it to run right- unless the stock US 1.5 intake will bolt onto the JDM 1.3 and you can stay with your fuel injection setup (you might want to down size the injectors).

I was running a carbed 1.5 liter in my 87 Civic and was getting 44-45 mpg on the highway in the summer. I decided to grab a 1.3 liter at the pull a part yard and rebuild it (I swapped in the 1.3 carb too). After all of that $, it just bumped my highway mileage up to 46-47mpg and I lost a fair amount of low end torque.