Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Hi, the new guy... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/hi-the-new-guy-14246.html)

silverlight 05-01-2012 10:47 AM

Hi, the new guy...

It's true: there is a forum for everything.

Long story short: in 2005, I bought a new Pontiac Vibe, and I bought it with an automatic transmission, the first of my 8 cars to have one, as I am getting on in years.

It has the base 1zz-FE 1800cc engine, and a 4 speed auto trans.

When I bought it, it had the EPA numbers 29 city, and 34 highway. Not what I had been getting from my 1988 Honda Civic Wagon with a 5 speed, but gasoline was under $2/gallon... Then Katrina hit, not too long after I got my car, and the price of gasoline approached $3/gallon, and I was only getting about 25MPG in the city, and 30 on the freeway.

I took it back to the dealer, where, to condense the rhetoric, they said : **** you. We have you money. We don't care if your car is getting **** for mileage. We don't have to.

And it's been this way ever since. The EPA actualy LOWERED the mileage estimates for the 2007 model year, so the identical car/drivetrain NOW gets EPA Estimates of 26 city, and 31 highway.

I think ONCE I managed to get 31 MPG, by driving about 200 miles at 50 MPH, which pissed off EVERYBODY who couldn't pass me on the 2 lane (in one direction) freeway fast enough to keep their pointy little redneck heads happy.

So I need to do something to get the milegae up.

Just to make it harder: I have very little money at all to work with, since I got hurt, and lost my job, and I'm not getting any unemployment.

I am running the tires at 38 PSI. MFG recommended is 32 PSI.

Any other ideas for inexpensive ways to increase mileage?

Thank you

GasSavers_BEEF 05-01-2012 11:02 AM

Re: Hi, the new guy...

there is a tab at the top of the page "201 tips to save gas" it is very helpful.

Jay2TheRescue 05-01-2012 11:05 AM

When you say MFG recommended, is that the vehicle, or the tire manufacturer? I usually go by the max pressure listed on the tire itself. The manufacturer pressure is usually much lower than that.

silverlight 05-01-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 166969)
When you say MFG recommended, is that the vehicle, or the tire manufacturer? I usually go by the max pressure listed on the tire itself. The manufacturer pressure is usually much lower than that.

Pontiac says to put 32 PSI in the tires. The tire place I've been going to for decades, that is the same family for 4 generations said NOT to put the maximum air pressure listed on the sidewall, because then the tires lose too much traction in wet weather.

I don't want to total my car trying to get an additional 1 MPG.

mrbillhf 05-01-2012 06:07 PM

My wife drives a 2006 Vibe 1.6L automatic. She gets about 32mpg. If i drive it I get 37mpg with a 39.5 best. I say this to point you towards "driving technique" to get better mileage. Going slow helps for obvious reasons, but learning how to accelerate, how to coast, how to safely draft, etc. helps alot. I went from a consistent 14mpg in my 4x4 s10 to 17+mpg simply by changing my technique. (17 may not sound like much but it's a 22% improvement ) You can do it. :-)

Jay2TheRescue 05-01-2012 06:09 PM

I've been running the max sidewall pressure for years, and I've never encountered traction issues.

silverlight 05-01-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbillhf (Post 166978)
My wife drives a 2006 Vibe 1.6L automatic. She gets about 32mpg. If i drive it I get 37mpg with a 39.5 best. I say this to point you towards "driving technique" to get better mileage. Going slow helps for obvious reasons, but learning how to accelerate, how to coast, how to safely draft, etc. helps alot. I went from a consistent 14mpg in my 4x4 s10 to 17+mpg simply by changing my technique. (17 may not sound like much but it's a 22% improvement ) You can do it. :-)

The Pontiac Vibe was never made with a 1.6L engine. In 2006, they all had 1.8L engines, either the Toyota 1zz-FE, or the engine used in the GT that was much higher output.

Coasting is a very bad idea in a car with an automating transmission, and the other name for 'drafting' is 'tailgating'.

You are free to do as you wish with your car, but tailgating semi trailer trucks is foolish as best, and fatal at worst.

I know a guy who liked to do it on the interstate with his big Honda motorcycle.

He's dead now. Not paying attention, for a few seconds. But he was getting 55 MPG!

GasSavers_BEEF 05-02-2012 04:59 AM

so people give you the advice that you want and you criticize them for it?

why is coasting bad in an auto??? going down a large hill, my car will stay in DFCO for quite some time. I assume you meant neutral coasting (but you didn't say)

and safe drafting is very effective though not the way you think. it is not tailgating. most people are safe drafting and don't even realize it. there are aerodynamic advantages even 5-6 car lengths behind a transfer truck. you don't have to be inches from the bumper to see the advantages.

our assumption from your original post is that you wanted advice on how to get better mileage....look around, we are getting better mileage. everything said so far has gotten nothing but scrutiny from you. good luck on your mileage quest. the way you are going about it, you're going to need it.

Jay2TheRescue 05-02-2012 05:25 AM

Coasting itself does not damage automatics. You can coast w/o damage in gear, or in Neutral with the engine running. If you shut the engine off while coasting the internal parts of the transmission are spinning without lubrication which is where your damage will occur.

trollbait 05-02-2012 07:16 AM

That's only true for a transmission that can't be flat or dinghy towed.

I've only experienced traction lost on wet pavement when starting from a stop on an incline. I have the pressure at 50 to 52, tire rated 51. It even be 55 now since I haven't backed it down from the winter yet.