Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News, Articles and Products (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Car Repair/Maintenance Books (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f16/car-repair-maintenance-books-14763.html)

RiabovB 07-09-2013 11:16 AM

Car Repair/Maintenance Books

Hello,

Can anyone recommend any books for first-time drivers regarding vehicle upkeep, repair, maintenance, and general use? I'd really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Boris

Jay2TheRescue 07-09-2013 04:25 PM

To good books to have on your vehicle.

#1. Owner's manual. This will outline all the preventative maintenance that should be performed, and when it should be done. Read this cover to cover, and know it well.

#2. Manufacturer's service manual. Yeah, its expensive, but gives you detailed information on how to do any service or repair to your vehicle. Well worth the cost. I've tried to cheap out before and get a Chilton's manual, just to look it up in the Manufacturer's book because Chilton's service procedure was just too vague.

theholycow 07-10-2013 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 170320)
#2. Manufacturer's service manual. Yeah, its expensive, but gives you detailed information on how to do any service or repair to your vehicle. Well worth the cost. I've tried to cheap out before and get a Chilton's manual, just to look it up in the Manufacturer's book because Chilton's service procedure was just too vague.

On this subject:

Chilton's, Haynes, Auto Repair Reference Center (a web service offered through some public libraries to their patrons), and the repair guides on AutoZone.com are made almost entirely of the same data, just organized and accessed differently. If you don't mind using the computer for it you can access it all for free on AutoZone's site or possibly through your local library if it has a subscription to ARRC or ChiltonLibrary. OTOH the dead tree edition for a 1990 Civic should be readily available on eBay for a scant few bucks.

There is a link in my sig to my meta-sig, which has links to some sources for Honda repair manuals online. I'm not sure of the quality or where the content comes from.

trollbait 07-11-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

OTOH the dead tree edition for a 1990 Civic should be readily available on eBay for a scant few bucks.
Or even in a used book or thrift store.

bowtieguy 07-11-2013 08:21 AM

if not, rockauto is much cheaper than the local parts stores...

Ford Man 09-23-2013 11:11 AM

Ebay is a good place to pick up repair/service manuals. Often they're in like new condition for about 1/3 to 1/2 the retail price. Haynes or Chilton's are good manuals for the beginner since they are broken down into step by step instructions.

Sprite 08-02-2016 11:51 PM

Has anyone got an old alfa romeo 147 manual they don't need anymore?

Sprite 11-30-2016 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprite (Post 190221)
Has anyone got an old alfa romeo 147 manual they don't need anymore?

Hi Sprite, I have an old one in the garage. Where abouts are you located anyway?

Draigflag 11-30-2016 11:10 PM

You're replying to yourself?....

LDB 12-01-2016 05:30 AM

I guess I interpreted it differently. My first thought was something like this. My level of knowledge and mechanical aptitude.

Auto Repair For Dummies, 2nd Edition:Book Information - For Dummies