Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   does cold weather affect gas mileage? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/does-cold-weather-affect-gas-mileage-15290.html)

tootal2 02-26-2014 07:55 AM

does cold weather affect gas mileage?

The gas mileage of my chevy spark has gone down since its been cold.

Jay2TheRescue 02-26-2014 09:38 AM

Yes. Engine warmup periods are longer, cold air is denser requiring more fuel, and winter blend fuels all combine to result in lower economy in the winter.

trollbait 02-26-2014 09:46 AM

Plus, tire pressures drop. So check and make sure they aren't low. Use a gauge, eyeballing doesn't work. By the time a modern tire looks low it is nearly flat. The TPMS will pick a low tire up before it looks low, but they have a wide enough range to not report a tire that is slightly low.

B3NN3TT 02-26-2014 11:56 AM

Economy in my Saturn went down around 5 mpg from summer to winter.

Cold engines run RICH until they get up to normal operating temp.

hoopitup 02-27-2014 03:12 AM

Use the front defroster only when needed. The AC compressor will run even though the AC button is not on.

theholycow 02-28-2014 09:29 AM

There's also more time spent in traffic jams on slippery freeways, increased rolling resistance on fresh snow, and lots of increased electrical usage for headlights/fan/etc.

Charon 03-02-2014 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoopitup (Post 174395)
Use the front defroster only when needed. The AC compressor will run even though the AC button is not on.

That's only partly true. The AC low pressure switch will keep the compressor from running when the temperatures get down near freezing. The temperatures vary with the unit, but usually about 40F or 5C will be the cutoff. The idea is to keep the evaporator from freezing up.

Of course, if the compressor DOES run it provides a bit more load on the engine, which will then warm up more quickly.

hoopitup 03-02-2014 07:41 AM

I agree, but I know a lot of people that leave on defrost ALL the time & don't realize how wasteful it is.

tootal2 03-03-2014 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoopitup (Post 174450)
I agree, but I know a lot of people that leave on defrost ALL the time & don't realize how wasteful it is.

turning the heater fan off till to car gets warmed up seems to help.
but it makes the car cold inside and the windows fog up sometimes

Charon 03-04-2014 01:12 PM

Leaving the heater blower off until the engine warms does help the engine warm more quickly. In truly cold weather there is a hazard involved in leaving that motor off. If the defroster is turned on after the engine warms, the blast of hot air hitting the cold windshield has been known to crack the glass. Decades ago Americans stationed in Alaska were told to turn the defroster on as soon as they started the car, to avoid that very problem.