Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   what are your 2006 fuel economy goals? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/what-are-your-2006-fuel-economy-goals-1639.html)

MetroMPG 01-22-2006 04:50 PM

what are your 2006 fuel economy goals?

saw this in kickflipjr's sig: "2006 Goal: 35mpg Average: 4 tanks over 40mpg"

good idea. did someone already start a thread on this topic - i.e. what are your fuel economy goals & mods for 2006?

might be interesting reading everyone's plans for the year. lay it on the table and come back in a year to see how we did.

my '06 mileage goals:
- raise my average mileage (hwy/city combined) to above 50 mpg (us) - or 6.8% above current levels
- achieve consistent hwy mpg of 55-60 (US) (@50+ mph, summer temps, calm conditions) - or 10-20% above current - aero mods will contribute most to this goal

planned mods/changes:
- driving style will contribute most to city mpg improvements; paying more attention to pulse & glide / coasting in neutral opportunities
- further aero tweaking (belly pan, skirts, dams, lowering) ... this will give me my expected 10-20% hwy mpg increase
- going to try alternator optional 12v system (solar/plug in) for local driving ... this will contribute to increasing my city mpg
- keep my eye out for lightweight 13 inch alloy rims ... also primarily a city gain
- continue investigating the metro EV project, and proceed if insurance and build cost looks reasonable

SVOboy 01-22-2006 05:08 PM

My 06 goals: - combined to

My 06 goals:
- combined to over 50 mpg also
- highway to over 60 also

I've got a ways to go so here we go on the mods:
- MPFI from DPFI
- OBD1 from OBD0
- Tuned for MPG
- Manual from Auto
- VTEC-E from nothing
- WAI
- some sort of blended gas
- drop 150 more pounds somehow (wheels and crap like that)
- Full undertray.

Meh. Assorted small mods

rh77 01-22-2006 05:12 PM

2006 MPG Goals

Mine is to get the Integra to get 40 mpg on a combined cycle (80/20).

The TL is another story. Can't decide to keep or sell it. To keep it requires $200 in O2 sensors to get good mileage (the warm-air intake freaked out the ECU -- got 22 mpg (OUCH!). To consistantly get around 30 for the TL is a goal if we keep it.

RH77

kickflipjr 01-23-2006 06:09 PM

I won't make my goal unless

I won't make my goal unless i drive more highway. Well, we will see how it goes.

Compaq888 01-23-2006 06:46 PM

mine is to get rid of this

mine is to get rid of this car. The more gas prices stay up there the more it costs to drive this car. I get paid good money at my job but it requires a lot of driving. If I'm paying $3+ for gas then my job isn't worth it.

GasSavers_DaX 01-24-2006 05:25 AM

By the end of 2006, I would

By the end of 2006, I would like to have my 5-speed HF transmission installed and the car converted to MPFI & OBD-1. I would like to see consistend 40+ mpg combined. I have no idea what to shoot for when I do my straight highway run.

I think I'm going to wait until 2007 to install the Hondata.

SVOboy 01-24-2006 10:06 AM

Why wait so long for

Why wait so long for hondata?

GasSavers_DaX 01-24-2006 10:27 AM

Money is ever tight trying

Money is ever tight trying to afford and plan a wedding. I have the Hondata, and it may end up getting installed sometime this year if I can find someone to tune it. My deal with waiting was that I was going to wait to get a PLX M300 wideband for myself to do the tuning, and that will be about $300.

SVOboy 01-24-2006 01:59 PM

I've seen used widebands go

I've seen used widebands go for 150, and you can just turn around and sell them or tune for others, not much loss if you wanna work for it, :p

Matt Timion 01-24-2006 02:27 PM

Re: I've seen used widebands go

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
I've seen used widebands go for 150, and you can just turn around and sell them or tune for others, not much loss if you wanna work for it, :p

I found a used VX wideband on honda-tech for $25. I saw another go for $50 on ebay once. I have one with cut wires in my engine now that I might be able to let go for next to nothing, if you want to splice wires.

SVOboy 01-24-2006 02:40 PM

Don't be silly matt, we're

Don't be silly matt, we're talking about wideband controllers for tuning, ;)

Capcom 01-24-2006 03:37 PM

I dont have a fuel economy

I dont have a fuel economy goal for 2006. of course more MPG is always welcome if performance of my car is not decreased.
In fact i will probably spend much more money in order to make some consumption tests and modifications.

Nowadays i am plannig to obtain an ODBII interface and a PDA computer in order to log the consumption and engine data all the time..
And at summer i will try to completely cover underfloor of the car.
And June will be the month when i will begin trying to apply some serious modifications and tests.. Before summer i am planning and obtaining data and ideas from internet web pages and forums (like gassavers.org :) )

GasSavers_DaX 01-25-2006 07:59 AM

Re: I've seen used widebands go

Quote:

I'm thinking of investing in a good one, so that I can also tune my turbocharged motor when I get it back up and running. And yes Matt, I'm talking about a controller, not the actual sensor. :)

SVOboy 01-25-2006 01:00 PM

Of the the new innovate

Of the the new innovate lm-1s is perfectly good, just doesn't have a fancy *** display with it, :p

GasSavers_DaX 01-26-2006 08:52 AM

I personally wouldn't buy

I personally wouldn't buy either Tech Edge or Innovative, as I have had friends that have had serious problems with both. I've heard nothing but praise from PLX, plus I'm willing to pay the difference. Does the Innovative still only use the NTK sensor? One benefit of the PLX is that it uses the much less expensive Bosch sensor.

diamondlarry 01-26-2006 02:40 PM

There are a few things in

There are a few things in the works that, if they work as planned, I think my mileage could easily be in the 50's for combined city/highway and 60's or way above for straight highway. I wish I could share more details but I don't want to jeapordize my chances at this year's Tour de Sol.

chesspirate 01-26-2006 07:58 PM

i figure since my best fuel

i figure since my best fuel mileage ever occured in jan, last couple of weeks, i've already achieve my un-stated goal! But seriously, runnning a full tank and achieving 25mpg's would probably make my year, in mpg terms at least

Matt Timion 01-26-2006 08:45 PM

50 mpg

My goal is 50 miles per gallon highway. I know it's doable because I'm installing enough this year to easily beat that. I just want my goals to be obtainable.

Oh, I also want to finish my n600. and cruise around in it this summer :P

Compaq888 01-28-2006 12:53 AM

Re: There are a few things in

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondlarry
There are a few things in the works that, if they work as planned, I think my mileage could easily be in the 50's for combined city/highway and 60's or way above for straight highway. I wish I could share more details but I don't want to jeapordize my chances at this year's Tour de Sol.

They are no secret. I can tell you all the stuff to make my gas hog get 60mpg hwy. Remove seats except mine, spare, jack, tools. Pump up tires to 45 psi. Get a clean air filter, do the whole underbody of the car and go 55 mph. Don't forget the fuel heater, tricking the air intake sensor and playing with timing.

But I think you have some more stuff I haven't thought about. I've been doing some experimental stuff and I have found out the brakes do in fact work while the car is off and so does the automatic transmission. It shifts as if the engine is pushing it but the engine is off. SO far I have done this 3 times and they were okay. Since I have a auto I only do it in areas that I know well and when I know i'm going to park my car for a while. For instance I went to my cousin's house and since there were no cars I turned the motor off like 1/4 mile from his house. The car rolled in D with the engine off all the way to his house, I even parked it. Same thing with my other cousin we turned the engine off 1/4 mile from his house and rolled it down a street turned left and parked it next to his house. Having no powersteer is ok. It feels only a little bit harder.

Matt Timion 01-28-2006 02:07 AM

DiamondLarry is working on

DiamondLarry is working on some radical engine/car modifications to get his proposed MPG figures, much above an underbody addition or weight reduction.

Some of the mods you mentioned Compaq will shorten the life of your engine. Screwing with timing and your o2 sensor is kind of an exact science, one that will hurt your engine if you don't do it right. Hell, we could get any 4 cylinder engine to get 100mpg if we ran it lean enough. Then again we could probably only use the engine once in this condition.

As for running your car with the ignition off, I'd do a little reading on your transmission before you do this again. MOST (not all) automatics should not be run with the ignition turned off. It will destroy your transmission faster than anything else. You'd be much better off putting it in neutral than turning your engine off.

JanGeo 01-28-2006 02:48 AM

tranny

The oil probably drains down from the torque converter letting it turn freely but seals may fail first, clutches may be working making the gears move needlessly, better to be in neutral. Steering may eventually wear without hydralic pressure moving the rack - maybe electric motor assist on the pump would be cool like in the minicooper.

diamondlarry 01-28-2006 03:36 PM

Quote:DiamondLarry is

Quote:

DiamondLarry is working on some radical engine/car modifications to get his proposed MPG figures, much above an underbody addition or weight reduction.
From what I've heard about my proposed mods the other things would pale in comparison as far as mpg benefits go. I'm not going to rule out aerodynamics but I think they will wait until the engine mods are complete.

JanGeo 01-28-2006 04:38 PM

scary mileage on my new xB

Hey guys I think this stuff is working - I go by how many miles to half a tank and the gas gauge seems pretty stable at the half mark. So far this very filled up tank has me at 235.2 miles and a hair above the half mark with 6 gallons being the amount needed to fill it at half a tank. It is a 11.9 gallon tank but the half mark took 6.001 gallons to fill before so going by that I am approaching the 40mpg mark really soon like 39.2mpg if I was at the half mark. Still a little concerned that the ScanGauge reads my mileage so much higher and yet the gas used and the miles traveled are pretty close. Actually the miles are little high ?? and the gas used seems pretty close or maybe lower that actual? Not sure until I fill it up again SOON!! By the way I find that a little reving seems to get the ScanGauge reading much higher MPG after when putting around town for a while.

JanGeo 02-05-2006 01:15 PM

humm gas log

Well I just gassed up again cutting is closer to empty this time 10.810 gallons in a 11.9 gallon tank probably could have squeezed some more in also. The gas log is keeping the most recent entry as the one displayed . . . will have to reenter the most recent instead of the going backwards. Seems the Acetone and the Torco have been adding significantly to the mileage. And the fact that I have about a 10% low reading on my odometer means that I am getting even better than indicated.

The ScanGauge indicated 9.8 gallons used when it took 10.81 to fill so it was 9% low adding to that the speed being 3% off all added to the hugh error in the MPG being calculated which is now a bit more accurate although somewhat not as high as I would have liked it to actually be. Still not too bad for a minivan sized vehicle.

Will be running without adding the Acetone this time for a little while but the Torco was added at fillup. Will add the Acetone later in this tank to see how my MPG is affected without it first on the 12 mile test run and then add it and see what the difference is now that the ScanGauge is calibrated.

JanGeo 02-07-2006 03:24 AM

loop run

Ok ran the 12.1 mile loop again last night got the green light both ways now with the calibrated ScanGauge I get 42.6mpg just with Torco and temp about 36 degrees F cold start.

MetroMPG 12-01-2006 07:40 PM

Well, folks...

It's the last month of the year. Maybe a bit early for retrospectives, but how did you do? Did you meet your goals?

If you didn't, you've still got 30 days :)

Matt Timion 12-01-2006 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
My goal is 50 miles per gallon highway. I know it's doable because I'm installing enough this year to easily beat that. I just want my goals to be obtainable.

Oh, I also want to finish my n600. and cruise around in it this summer :P

I cruised around in my n600...

but I never broke 50mpg. Life got in the way.

I am driving to California in December. Hopefully I'll be able to break 50mpg on that trip. I think it's definatley possible if I drive down going 65mph :)

diamondlarry 12-01-2006 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondlarry

I was not allowed to compete in this year's Tour de Sol. It seems that they "conveniently" eliminated the category for my car. I think it had a lot to do with Fran's results from last year's event. As for my mileage goals, I ended up very close. It took a different car to achieve these goals since my original car died a horrible death on the highway. I have been getting fairly consistent mid 50's. My last tank was hand-calculated at 54.85 mpg. My best tank so far was a trip to the far north side of Chicago and back when I got 55.4 mpg.

SVOboy 12-01-2006 11:06 PM

Quote:

My 06 goals:
- combined to over 50 mpg also CHECK
- highway to over 60 also CHECK

I've got a ways to go so here we go on the mods:
- MPFI from DPFI CHECK
- OBD1 from OBD0 CHECK
- Tuned for MPG CHECK
- Manual from Auto CHECK
- VTEC-E from nothing Working on it...
- WAI [b]Meh[b]
- some sort of blended gas Meh
- drop 150 more pounds somehow (wheels and crap like that) Meh
- Full undertray. Working on it

Meh. Assorted small mods

Not fail my two finals tomorrow? We'll see about that though.

Compaq888 12-02-2006 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
mine is to get rid of this car. The more gas prices stay up there the more it costs to drive this car. I get paid good money at my job but it requires a lot of driving. If I'm paying $3+ for gas then my job isn't worth it.

Goal met.

philmcneal 12-02-2006 02:51 AM

hm damn i hope i get my lazy *** up and install my mobil 1 oil that's been sitting there for months into my hybrid, as well switching the transaxle oil over to something much thinner. Then probably pay someone to install my block heater for me and then boom, 70 mpg here i come!

i hope to obtain the same epa as I did on my civic (39% higher) although for hybrids... obtaining even just 100% is already a chore.

GasSavers_brick 12-02-2006 03:39 AM

I didn't learn about serious FE improvement until March. The goal I eventually set was to get consecutive 40mpg+ tanks, and I managed seven before my weather ran out. There's no end to the value of what I learned at gassavers and cleanmpg!

zpiloto 12-02-2006 06:19 AM

Metro MPG
"Do you have a sense of where you can get the Maxima?

The Flea's limit is: how low am I'm willing to go with my average speed for a given tank.

RT-wise, I'd like to better my 133 mpg effort, and aim for 150+ mpg next summer. It won't be TOO hard, but it will be slow - probably 18-20 mph avg. Just for kicks. Not very practical.

Tank averages are a different story. If I go totally basjoos on the car, I may gain an additional 5-10% @ 50-55 mph. That's still not VX or basjoos territory. (I console myself by saying: I doubt there are any VX's around with 11,000 km on the odometer. But if i still had Firefly #1 - a little rusty & high mileage - I'd definitely be shopping for a VX now.)

70 mpg tanks are history now, I fear. The last one was mostly (unusually) mild November weather.

And here's another thing: like the bicycle cargo trailer, the ForkenSwift is going to be a problem next year: it's going to drag my Flea tank averages down when it goes on the road, because it'll displace even more local (high mpg) driving.

Your question reminded me to bump this thread though: what are your 2006 fuel economy goals?"

Without instantaneous FE feed back I think I'm about there. Somewhere around 65% over EPA or 35 MPG, any higher than that and it would involve spending money. I think the ceiling for any car for ideal normal driving is around 90% for a standard and 70% for automatic unless heavily modified (engine/transmission). I still have some issues to work out with the engine and transmission. Ultimate goal would be 38 MPG and then it's time to sell it and move on to another more challanging project.:D

kickflipjr 12-02-2006 08:59 AM

Quote:

2006 Goal: 35mpg Average: 4 tanks over 40mpg
Well I am averaging 37now. I don't think i averaged 35mpg for all of 2006, but i was near that. I still haven't had any full tanks over 40mpg, but that isn't really important to me.

psyshack 12-02-2006 11:18 PM

I didn't post any goals. But did have some.

I wanted to get a 50 mpg tank out of the Civic.
Been done a few times.

I wanted the wife to get better FE in the Accord.
She did it. Not a big increase. But a solid one. She slowed down a bit and backed off the A/C some. It helped.

I wanted the Rangers mpg to get better.
I may have made some ground on that today. It was either. It got better mpg, or I was going to blast it to death with a 44 mag. Or put a brick on the throttle parked in front of the Ford dealer and let toast its self. Then go buy a used F-150 or Tundra. It earned a stay of execution today.

psy

Silveredwings 12-11-2006 07:19 PM

Well, this late in the period, my '06 FE goals read as what I managed to get done:

1. Starting late spring, find info online regarding increasing FE (found GS, found varioius RSS FE, EV, HEV feeds).
2. Implement the FE low hanging fruit (learn optimized driving, raise tire pressure, add a grill block, log progress on both cars).
3. Consolidate from 2 seasonal cars to 1 daily driver (sell Passat wagon & 323 convertible, buy 325 wagon).
4. Continue learning ways to increase FE (e.g. mods).
5. Make garage space for FE modifications (still in progress).

GasSavers_DaX 12-12-2006 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
By the end of 2006, I would like to have my 5-speed HF transmission installed and the car converted to MPFI & OBD-1. I would like to see consistend 40+ mpg combined. I have no idea what to shoot for when I do my straight highway run.

I think I'm going to wait until 2007 to install the Hondata.

I reached all my 06 goals! Well, I didn't get converted to MPFI or OBD-1...I'll try to get the MPFI going in 2007. I won't be doing Hondata, because I sold it. I'd like to use a MID. Still haven't done a straight highway run.