Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Gassavers.org Stickers (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/gassavers-org-stickers-1645.html)

GasSavers_DaX 01-23-2006 11:27 AM

Gassavers.org Stickers

We need them. I really want to put one on my car. I'm willing to pay for it.

Matt Timion 01-23-2006 11:54 AM

I'll start looking into it.

I'll start looking into it. If you know of a sticker place online, please give me the heads up.

SVOboy 01-23-2006 12:47 PM

Yes, most def wanting one

Yes, most def wanting one that's like the clear background with the letters, I'll look around now.

kickflipjr 01-23-2006 05:46 PM

a

https://www.stickerjunkie.com/index.jsp

^
they have 100 stickers for $25. But they are only in black and white. different font is $10 more.

SVOboy 01-23-2006 05:54 PM

Good find, I think

Good find, I think transparent type would be best though so just the gassavers.org or whatev shows up on the logo.

kickflipjr 01-23-2006 06:03 PM

I just did a search for

I just did a search for di-cut vinyl stickers. They are really expensive. yeah, Clear background is a better option.

SVOboy 01-23-2006 06:09 PM

Honda-tech.com sells theirs

Honda-tech.com sells theirs for like 4 bucks a pop, I'd def buy them for that.

Matt Timion 01-23-2006 06:41 PM

I found a bunch of vinyl

I found a bunch of vinyl stickers but they were not clear background. I'll keep searching.

rh77 01-23-2006 11:10 PM

Sign me up

Sign me up for a sticker. Also, I was thinking of a Gassavers.org license plate frame (probably a little more complicated).

RH77

Matt Timion 01-24-2006 04:46 AM

Re: Sign me up

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77
Sign me up for a sticker. Also, I was thinking of a Gassavers.org license plate frame (probably a little more complicated).

RH77

I was thinking of something like this too... something like:

https://images6.theimagehosting.com/license.th.gif

GasSavers_DaX 01-24-2006 04:52 AM

Re: Honda-tech.com sells theirs

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Honda-tech.com sells theirs for like 4 bucks a pop, I'd def buy them for that.

Maybe we should bug the mods there and see where they get theirs made.

JanGeo 01-24-2006 05:12 AM

diy

Anyone with a low speed laser printer like an HP 4ppm can make their own out of lettering vinyl - certain vinyls take toner very well and a coat of Clear Krylon fuses the toner to the vinyl and makes it all nice and shiny! It will also peal off cleanly after years stuck on your bumper. Been doing it for years. Guess you need to see the rear bumper of my Geo . . .

chesspirate 01-26-2006 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77

RH77

I was thinking of something like this too... something like:

https://images6.theimagehosting.com/license.th.gif

The license plate frame is a cool idea, but putting a mpg number like 50 leaves us lower life forms out in the cold. Driving a truck keeps me way behind, even though my mileage is easily 20% than other trucks like mine and as much as 50% depending.

Matt Timion 01-26-2006 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesspirate
The license plate frame is a cool idea, but putting a mpg number like 50 leaves us lower life forms out in the cold. Driving a truck keeps me way behind, even though my mileage is easily 20% than other trucks like mine and as much as 50% depending.

I was actually thinking of making a series of these each with different MPG figures. I was debating license plate frames (obviously more expensive) and bumper stickers.

The only problem with all of this is that I would have to order a massive amount for any order. Some stickers I found online would be a minimum order of 2000 stickers.

Which leads me to another question.

What type of sticker is preferred? Rectangular? oval? Clear background? White background? Black backgrond? What about the color of the text? I'm looking at one place that can give all of these options, but I'm unsure if they can do more than one option at a time for one order.

I'm not opposed to spending some money in hopes that the stickers will sell. It would obviously take some time, however, but I think it's doable.

Just looked into license plate frames... it's very doable. Minimum order is 125, so including a MPG figure might not be a good idea. Any design suggestions?

SVOboy 01-26-2006 08:39 PM

Clear backgrounds, for

Clear backgrounds, for windows. Not as obtrustive and all that, :)

Matt Timion 01-26-2006 08:43 PM

Re: Clear backgrounds, for

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Clear backgrounds, for windows. Not as obtrustive and all that, :)

color of text?

SVOboy 01-26-2006 08:47 PM

Black I'd say for the first

Black I'd say for the first run. Or do the tri-color thing like h-t has.

GasSavers_DaX 01-27-2006 04:50 AM

I'd say clear background.

I'd say clear background. Maybe white lettering...we want something that shows! I'll talk to my friend who used to run the car club I was in. There is a vinyl sticker shop nearby where we used to get our stickers done, and they weren't that bad. I think I paid like $16 for one that was about 30" long with 3 or 4" letter height.

Sticker real estate on the rear of my car is getting slim as it is...I may have to remove some to make room for the Gassavers one!

JanGeo 01-27-2006 05:17 AM

layout

Anyone have the artwork in Coreldraw or DWG file format or maybe a big bitmap that I can use to print them with? Usually I pick a color vinyl for the lettering and reverse print the black with the laser then it matches the black bumper of my Geo. The New xB is all white however so . . . have to do it in black letters on white vinyl.

GasSavers_DaX 02-10-2006 04:42 AM

Sorry for the delay, but

Sorry for the delay, but Matt, I found the place near me that does vinyl stickers for the cheap. I'm going to try to talk to them next week. The place is called Wolf Printing.

Is there any particular font you want me to check out? I was thinking of using a letter height of about .75" or maybe 1". Are we just going to do "Gassavers.org," or any other words or logos [logos will definately increase the price], and do you want it capitalized any differently?

The GT Autoshow is going to be here before I know it and I want to represent the site with my car.

Matt Timion 02-10-2006 07:46 AM

Re: Sorry for the delay, but

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
Sorry for the delay, but Matt, I found the place near me that does vinyl stickers for the cheap. I'm going to try to talk to them next week. The place is called Wolf Printing.

Is there any particular font you want me to check out? I was thinking of using a letter height of about .75" or maybe 1". Are we just going to do "Gassavers.org," or any other words or logos [logos will definately increase the price], and do you want it capitalized any differently?

The GT Autoshow is going to be here before I know it and I want to represent the site with my car.

Woot!

In theory I'd just like it ot be like the logo at the top of the screen (minus the gas pump). I can send you a photoshop/illustrator file if you want.

GasSavers_DaX 02-10-2006 08:05 AM

That would be excellent -

That would be excellent - daxifus@gmail.com

It might also be helpful if I know the font style and sizes of the two lines of text.

Matt Timion 02-10-2006 08:36 AM

Re: That would be excellent -

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
That would be excellent - daxifus@gmail.com

It might also be helpful if I know the font style and sizes of the two lines of text.

Just sent it. Let me know if you get it.

GasSavers_DaX 02-10-2006 08:42 AM

Got 'em.

Got 'em.

rh77 02-10-2006 08:50 AM

Re: Got 'em.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
Got 'em.

Sweet -- I can't wait to see the final product (on my car ;-) )

RH77

SVOboy 02-10-2006 12:34 PM

Quote:Sweet -- I can't wait

Quote:

Sweet -- I can't wait to see the final product (on my car Eye-wink )

RH77
Damn strizzle.

GasSavers_DaX 02-13-2006 04:22 AM

*edit*

NM...I got on a computer at school that has PS. :)

rh77 02-13-2006 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
*edit*

NM...I got on a computer at school that has PS. :)

Man, when it comes to PhotoShop, I feel like one of those old farts who can't keep up with technology -- I'm not too artistic either - too scientifically-minded. I can make a Newsletter in Word :-)

But yeah, I've had to do the NM a few times lately - no worries.

RH77

JanGeo 02-13-2006 09:52 AM

stickers

Hey photoshop is not the way to make a sticker - you want to use a drawing program not a photo editing program. Illustrator - Autocad - Coreldraw - Micrographics Designer all use vector drawing for the fonts so that they scale and fill in at the printer resolution whatever that may be so you get crisp clear sharp lines.

GasSavers_DaX 02-13-2006 09:56 AM

I know...you want vector

I know...you want vector files, not raster files. I was just using PS to see what font style was used. I'm going to take both a raster and a vector file up there today and see what they say. I'll check on available colors too. Any preferences? I'll almost surely want a white one [easy readability on glass].

Matt Timion 02-13-2006 10:20 AM

Re: stickers

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanGeo
Hey photoshop is not the way to make a sticker - you want to use a drawing program not a photo editing program. Illustrator - Autocad - Coreldraw - Micrographics Designer all use vector drawing for the fonts so that they scale and fill in at the printer resolution whatever that may be so you get crisp clear sharp lines.

Actually, starting at photoshop 7 the fonts were vector. They can easily be imported to illustrator if need be.

DaX, be sure to ask about colors. While we all seem to love black font, I'm pretty certain it would be nearly invisible on most cars. Does anyone have a problem with white lettering?

GasSavers_DaX 02-13-2006 10:25 AM

Yeah, my last post asked

Yeah, my last post asked about color. I'm going with a white sticker. I'm pretty sure varying the colors won't be a big deal if someone wants a different color, as long as the stickers are solely one color [i.e. - the second line of text is not a different color than the first].

I currently have a silverish grey sticker from them on my car reppin' the old car club I was in.

JanGeo 02-13-2006 11:20 AM

colors

Hey are we talking white letters on clear for the windows?? That will work but I have a white car so it will not work on my white bumper which is fine with me. Actually I have printed full color on clear reversed so you stick them on the inside of the glass and the color is protected from the UV so it lasts - only problem is my xB has really dark tinted windows in back.

rh77 02-13-2006 01:49 PM

I imagined the Font best as White

I imagined the Font best as White on the clear background. As for tinted windows, I have a suggestion.

When election time comes around, I don't want to put a sticker on my car, and try to remove it after they lose, or have it on there for eternity, so my solution:

I went to a hobby shop and bought a 6" roll of magnetic tape. Take the window sticker as a template and cut the magnetic material. Remove the adhesive backing and carefully mount the sticker, or stick first then cut -- it's up to you. The maget is generally black, or "magnet brown", so you have a dark background. Just find some metal on the back of your car and voila, you have a moveable magnet-sticker (so your paint doesn't fade in one spot).

RH77

JanGeo 02-13-2006 02:00 PM

magnetic material

Yeah that would work - I have some magnetic signs I have found on the side of the road - blown off probably from speeding by the beach - usually the material has a white background with black vinyl lettering attached. Was thinking about using it for side guards to protect from dings in my doors, just stick it on in the parking lot and take it off when I hit the road. Got some bullet holes printed on the same material you can stick on your car - looks like someone shot you up - pretty funny. Be really easy for a friend of mine to cut up some vinyl letters and apply them to the magnetic material. Could use any color vinyl for the letters.

n0rt0npr0 02-13-2006 02:40 PM

clear type sticker

I'd throw in on one too.

GasSavers_DaX 02-13-2006 04:28 PM

OK, so I went to Wolff Signs

OK, so I went to Wolff Signs today and talked to them for a little while. I realized how little I knew about what everyone wanted, so I made up some stuff - if we like it we'll keep it, if not, we can change it.

The stickers I looked at are vinyl and are decal cut - this means there is NO background to the sticker. When you apply it, there will be a transfer tape on the front of the sticker to keep the letters evenly spaced while you apply it to your car. They can do stickers with a background [they can really do ANYTHING], but that's more expensive.

The next thing is size. I don't really know how big people want these. The sticker is going to be the logo [text only] at the top left of the website here. For the quote, I told them 10" from end to end for the sticker. If we want it different sized, I'm sure the price will change accordingly.

Next is color. They have pretty much any color vinyl we want. To keep the cost of the stickers down, the entire thing will be one color [second line of text is same color as first]. If there are a group of people equalling five or more, we can do a separate color at no additional cost. I'm going to do mine in white, because I plan on affixing it to the window of my car, and I think this will be the easiest to read.

Lastly is capitalization. They showed me the sticker both as "gassavers.org" and "GasSavers.org." I must say that the latter is more readable, and they recommend this, especially if we're going to be advertising on a car which can go by quickly [or slowly, for us gas saving grandma drivers =P]. I really don't care how we do it. Matt [or consensus, or whatever], I just need to know how we want it.

As it currently is with the sticker 10" long [I think this gives good readability for the second line of text], the stickers will cost $6 ea if we order 10 or more. We can try smaller if we want to get the price down. The minimum order is $20 from them. I thought it would be cheaper than it is, but it is what it is.

Whether anyone else decides to get one or not, I'm at least doing one so that I can represent for the car show on April 1, 2006. Matt, if you want to contact them yourself, their email is wolffsigns@comcast.net - just tell them you're with "gassavers." If you've already got a cheaper alternative, awesome, just let me know.

JanGeo 02-13-2006 04:45 PM

vinyl letters

Just so you know I had some on my Geo rear window on the black inside painted area - still don't know why they do that but, the letters fell off pretty quick due to heat from the sun and the winter ice and snow. You have a good price however when you see how much work it is to cut and weed the letters out of vinyl. Make sure the surface it really clean and dry and maybe they will give you some application liquid.

The 11 inch long ones I ran through the laser printer that I stuck on the black bumper of my Geo stayed on no problem and peal right off clean leaving no glue at all on the bumper other than a little less fading under the covered area but when hit by other bumpers it would scratch off the black reveiling the underlying color.

Matt Timion 02-13-2006 10:53 PM

Awesome Dax. Let's talk a

Awesome Dax. Let's talk a little bit more about this via instant messenger if you have it.

I saw a few other alternatives that I was willing to invest in, but they all required me to order 200 or so stickers. In that case they would be a clear background, but they also were not 10 inches wide. How tall are the stickers in the quote?

I'm thinking we can probably make these 6-8 inches wide instead of 10, which will probably help with the price.

Anyway, send me your instant message info via private message and we'll talk some more.

Thanks for doing the footwork on this one.

GasSavers_DaX 02-14-2006 04:28 AM

Matt - I'll be around on and

Matt - I'll be around on and off today at the computer. I'll go ahead and turn on my AIM. My handle is IntkCompIgntnExh