Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   My friend just bought a Jetta TDI (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/my-friend-just-bought-a-jetta-tdi-1650.html)

Matt Timion 01-24-2006 09:13 AM

My friend just bought a Jetta TDI

All I have to say is WOW. That car is amazing. Not only is it super slick, but it gets about 50mpg in stock condition. It made me want to get one for a brief instant.

Compaq888 01-24-2006 10:51 AM

Re: My friend just bought a Jetta TDI

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
All I have to say is WOW. That car is amazing. Not only is it super slick, but it gets about 50mpg in stock condition. It made me want to get one for a brief instant.

I would never get it and here is why...
1. Jetta are not reliable, too many electrical problems.
2. Diesel is really expensive.

Matt Timion 01-24-2006 10:59 AM

Re: My friend just bought a Jetta TDI

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
1. Jetta are not reliable, too many electrical problems.

According to who? You know people who have a 2006 Jetta and have had electrical problems? Is this just heresay/rumors, or is it a documented problem? Don't tell me that you know three people who have electrical problems as your evidence... give us the facts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
2. Diesel is really expensive.

Diesel may be more than gasoline right now, but this car also gets twice the gas mileage of most cars it's size AND it can run on Biodiesel (which is cheaper than gas BTW). You'll actually save on fuel using a more efficient vehicle, even if diesel is more expensive.

This car emits fewer greenhouse gases than gasoline equivilants, so it's better for the enviroment.

Compaq888 01-24-2006 11:05 AM

Check out the vortex forums,

Check out the vortex forums, they have over 100,000 members and there is a lot of problems. I'd rather wait for the diesel hybrid. Diesel cars get the same mpg as hybrids. If they make a diesel hybrid it will get no less than 70mpg.

SVOboy 01-24-2006 02:38 PM

They have made a diesel

They have made a diesel hybrid and it gets no more than 55mpg, so you're wrong already. In any case, I know owners of new VWs with no problems, and also diesel cost will end up being less not to mention SVO/WVO is completely free gas and recycling too.

rh77 01-24-2006 06:51 PM

Golf TDI

For a while I was really gung-ho about buying a Golf TDI 5-speed -- actually test drove one. It only had like 100hp, but the torque made up for it. I loved the driving position, the low-end grunt, fuel economy, etc. I joined a TDI forum and found out a few things:

1. It requires diesel-spec synthetic oil
2. The timing belt needs changed every 60,000 miles
3. Consumer Reports rates it in the pooper for reliability
4. If you live in areas with harsh Winters, you have to add an anti-gel fluid to the fuel, and an engine block heater is almost mandatory.
5. It's not a Honda/Acura

RH77

Compaq888 01-24-2006 10:51 PM

Re: Golf TDI

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77
For a while I was really gung-ho about buying a Golf TDI 5-speed -- actually test drove one. It only had like 100hp, but the torque made up for it. I loved the driving position, the low-end grunt, fuel economy, etc. I joined a TDI forum and found out a few things:

1. It requires diesel-spec synthetic oil
3. Consumer Reports rates it in the pooper for reliability
4. If you live in areas with harsh Winters, you have to add an anti-gel fluid to the fuel, and an engine block heater is almost mandatory.
5. It's not a Honda/Acura

RH77

AMEN

Sludgy 01-25-2006 04:51 AM

Diesel problems

I don't know much about VW diesels, but my F350 diesel never has had so much as a hiccough. On the other hand, its mileage stinks.

Matt Timion 01-25-2006 06:20 AM

Quote:

Isn't this a general rule for ALL cars?

GasSavers_DaX 01-25-2006 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote: