Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid Vehicles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Honda Accord Hybrid B mode ? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/honda-accord-hybrid-b-mode-16566.html)

1motime 07-10-2014 07:50 AM

Honda Accord Hybrid B mode ?

Can anyone tell me if I should drive in D or B in my car, i know it stands for brake but is it better to use or not :confused:

Draigflag 07-10-2014 09:18 AM

Its quite scary to think there are people who dont know how to use thier own cars. Maybe refer to the manual?

trollbait 07-10-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1motime (Post 177617)
Can anyone tell me if I should drive in D or B in my car, i know it stands for brake but is it better to use or not :confused:

If it is anything like the the B mode in the Prius, you want to keep it in D for fuel economy. There the B is for engine braking. The Prius opens up the valves on the engine to allow it to pump air as most traditional cars do while coasting during fuel cut off.

It throws away energy by doing that, which helps in controlling your speed on long downgrades, but not for conserving energy. But check the manual.

1motime 07-10-2014 02:14 PM

Duh!! now why didn't I think of that, there is nothing I can find in the MANUAL about this subject. Even the sales person of 16 years didn't know what it does.

Draigflag 07-10-2014 02:43 PM

Shocking. No wonder the US has high fatality rates.

1motime 07-11-2014 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 177627)
Shocking. No wonder the US has high fatality rates.

Thanks for your help

trollbait 07-11-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1motime (Post 177626)
Duh!! now why didn't I think of that, there is nothing I can find in the MANUAL about this subject. Even the sales person of 16 years didn't know what it does.

They rarely know the technical details.

nemesisf150 08-11-2014 02:14 AM

Sorry but, I have to agree with Draigflag, read the manual. We just purchased a 2014 Accord hybrid and I wondered the same thing. I read the manual. What "B" does is increases the regenerative braking feature of the vehicle charging the batteries and slowing you down. The MANUAL suggest that you use it going down long hills.

1motime 09-01-2014 05:48 PM

The manual is a joke just like Draigflag , you have to drive it a while to understand the B mode, works great in town with lots of stops and starts. No long hills here, still get very good use out of B mode after I figured it out, with no help from this board.

MpgParadox 04-06-2015 07:54 AM

I've found that using the D mode in the Accord Hybrid is easier to deal with in city driving where you can anticipate the traffic ahead and coast as long as you can. It also is easier to "pulse" drive in the D mode. "Pulse" driving in B mode causes a jerky motion to the car. Using the B mode means you have to stay on the gas pedal until you are close enough to start braking, since it doesn't coast as far. You can start coasting in B mode further away from traffic, but that tends to upset people who follow you too closely, since you decelerate too fast for their tastes. Maybe on the freeway in stop in go driving, the B mode works better, I haven't been in that situation yet - it's my wife's car, so I rarely drive it on a daily basis.
Of course, on downhill drives, it is used to control the speed while taking advantage of energy recovery.