Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Can too much transmission fluid hurt the shifting of the transmission??? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/can-too-much-transmission-fluid-hurt-the-shifting-of-the-transmission-1709.html)

Compaq888 02-12-2006 12:40 PM

Can too much transmission fluid hurt the shifting of the transmission???

I checked the dip stick and it's way off from where it's suppose to be. When I got a tranny cooler I added half a quart, so can too much tranny fluid affect the shifting?

SVOboy 02-12-2006 12:41 PM

I doubt it, it just sits

I doubt it, it just sits around and lubes, not like it's exerting pressure or it'd shoot out the fill hole.

Compaq888 02-12-2006 12:48 PM

I checked the dipstick and

I checked the dipstick and it's 1 inch higher than H, which is a little more than should be in there. I'm afraid to take out some fluid because I have a tranny cooler and it won't cool the fluid.

diamondlarry 02-12-2006 01:11 PM

I've always heard that

I've always heard that aoutmatic ransmissions were kind of fussy about fluid levels. If you had some way of drawing a little out through the filler pipe it may help you. I had to do this on my Durango one time. It had a factory installed tranny cooler and it was showing overfull on the dipstick.

Compaq888 02-12-2006 01:15 PM

Thanks for the advice Larry,

Thanks for the advice Larry, anyone else have same opinion as Larry?

MetroMPG 02-12-2006 01:44 PM

a quick google search turns

a quick google search turns up no shortage of pages warning against overfilling. to be safe, i'd remove any excess fluid.

Compaq888 02-12-2006 01:52 PM

Thanks, I'm going to remove

Thanks, I'm going to remove the excess fluid. I think there is 0.5-1 quart too much.

rh77 02-12-2006 01:53 PM

If it's anything like oil...

If it's anything like engine oil, if you overfill it, it tends to become a foam becuase of the excessive movement against moving parts, and essentially renders the oil un-pumpable and won't get to vital parts. I'm thinking that trans fluid is similar, especially when pumping through a cooler. I know it's probably a pain to fill or drain, but I'd recommend getting the level within tolerances.

RH77

diamondlarry 02-12-2006 03:08 PM

I used a hand operated pump

I used a hand operated pump that I got from Autozone or someplace like that. It had a hose small enough that fit down inside the transmission dipstick tube. Much easier than taking the pan off and only takes a couple of minutes.

Compaq888 02-12-2006 03:42 PM

Re: If it's anything like oil...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77
If it's anything like engine oil, if you overfill it, it tends to become a foam becuase of the excessive movement against moving parts, and essentially renders the oil un-pumpable and won't get to vital parts. I'm thinking that trans fluid is similar, especially when pumping through a cooler. I know it's probably a pain to fill or drain, but I'd recommend getting the level within tolerances.

RH77

The problem is that I have a tranny cooler so extra fluid is required but I don't know how much is required. So I'm going going to drain it till it touches high. Right now it's way too far from high.