Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Can too much transmission fluid hurt the shifting of the transmission??? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/can-too-much-transmission-fluid-hurt-the-shifting-of-the-transmission-1709.html)

Compaq888 02-12-2006 12:40 PM

Can too much transmission fluid hurt the shifting of the transmission???

I checked the dip stick and it's way off from where it's suppose to be. When I got a tranny cooler I added half a quart, so can too much tranny fluid affect the shifting?

SVOboy 02-12-2006 12:41 PM

I doubt it, it just sits

I doubt it, it just sits around and lubes, not like it's exerting pressure or it'd shoot out the fill hole.

Compaq888 02-12-2006 12:48 PM

I checked the dipstick and

I checked the dipstick and it's 1 inch higher than H, which is a little more than should be in there. I'm afraid to take out some fluid because I have a tranny cooler and it won't cool the fluid.

diamondlarry 02-12-2006 01:11 PM

I've always heard that

I've always heard that aoutmatic ransmissions were kind of fussy about fluid levels. If you had some way of drawing a little out through the filler pipe it may help you. I had to do this on my Durango one time. It had a factory installed tranny cooler and it was showing overfull on the dipstick.

Compaq888 02-12-2006 01:15 PM

Thanks for the advice Larry,

Thanks for the advice Larry, anyone else have same opinion as Larry?

MetroMPG 02-12-2006 01:44 PM

a quick google search turns

a quick google search turns up no shortage of pages warning against overfilling. to be safe, i'd remove any excess fluid.

Compaq888 02-12-2006 01:52 PM

Thanks, I'm going to remove

Thanks, I'm going to remove the excess fluid. I think there is 0.5-1 quart too much.

rh77 02-12-2006 01:53 PM

If it's anything like oil...

If it's anything like engine oil, if you overfill it, it tends to become a foam becuase of the excessive movement against moving parts, and essentially renders the oil un-pumpable and won't get to vital parts. I'm thinking that trans fluid is similar, especially when pumping through a cooler. I know it's probably a pain to fill or drain, but I'd recommend getting the level within tolerances.

RH77

diamondlarry 02-12-2006 03:08 PM

I used a hand operated pump

I used a hand operated pump that I got from Autozone or someplace like that. It had a hose small enough that fit down inside the transmission dipstick tube. Much easier than taking the pan off and only takes a couple of minutes.

Compaq888 02-12-2006 03:42 PM

Re: If it's anything like oil...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77
If it's anything like engine oil, if you overfill it, it tends to become a foam becuase of the excessive movement against moving parts, and essentially renders the oil un-pumpable and won't get to vital parts. I'm thinking that trans fluid is similar, especially when pumping through a cooler. I know it's probably a pain to fill or drain, but I'd recommend getting the level within tolerances.

RH77

The problem is that I have a tranny cooler so extra fluid is required but I don't know how much is required. So I'm going going to drain it till it touches high. Right now it's way too far from high.

Compaq888 02-12-2006 03:43 PM

Re: I used a hand operated pump

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondlarry
I used a hand operated pump that I got from Autozone or someplace like that. It had a hose small enough that fit down inside the transmission dipstick tube. Much easier than taking the pan off and only takes a couple of minutes.

I'm too broke now. I'm doing it the old fashined way, take out the dipstick and wipe it a couple of hundred times.

JanGeo 02-12-2006 03:52 PM

yeah too full bad

Yeah too full is bad - foams and adds drag - loosen a fitting to the oil cooler and let it leak out.

SVOboy 02-12-2006 03:52 PM

Quote:I'm too broke now. I'm

Quote:

I'm too broke now. I'm doing it the old fashined way, take out the dipstick and wipe it a couple of hundred times.
Should sucked it out with a straw or something, that's what I did to my friend's once.

Compaq888 02-12-2006 05:32 PM

I took out about 8 ounces,

I took out about 8 ounces, size of a regular drinking cup. I can't take it down to oem levels because I have a aftermarket oil cooler. I drove for 40 miles the gauge didn't move much. We'll see how the next take will be. This one is ruined for sure since I did a lot of 4K idling.

kirk37 11-12-2008 09:08 AM

Here is what I learned

Well, here is what I learned from a well written book ?Complete Car Care Manual? published by Reader?s Digest (1981, page 202). ?You may accidentally overfill it and cause as much damage as you would by operating the car with too little fluid? with regard to overfill of automatic transmission fluid according to the book. :)

KU40 11-12-2008 09:30 AM

What are you? talking about and? why did you bring up this nearly 3? year old thread?

dkjones96 11-12-2008 09:30 AM

Haha, thread digger!

What better way to make your into than to reply to a couple year old thread.