Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   If you owned a Bugatti Veyron, would you hypermiling it, too? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/if-you-owned-a-bugatti-veyron-would-you-hypermiling-it-too-17939.html)

ChewChewTrain 07-13-2015 07:53 AM

If you owned a Bugatti Veyron, would you hypermiling it, too?

A Bugatti Veyron gets 5 city / 15 highway.

Hypermiling is SO a part of me,that I'm unable to stop doing it no matter what vehicle I drive. Are you the same?

Draigflag 07-13-2015 08:25 AM

I enjoy very fast cars, but I also enjoy conserving fuel and slashing emissions too. So most of the time, if I had a fast car, I would be driving it slowly. That's why I'm becoming a fan of cars that are fast and economical too!

Draigflag 07-13-2015 08:32 AM

I just remembered an interesting fact from top gear, at top speed (252 mph) the Veyron will use 100 litres of fuel in 10 minutes (that's 26 US gallons!)

ChewChewTrain 07-13-2015 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 184380)
I just remembered an interesting fact from top gear, at top speed (252 mph) the Veyron will use 100 litres of fuel in 10 minutes (that's 26 US gallons!)

Thanks for your fun response, Draigflag!

Along with your comment, here's a visual demo of how fast gas passes through a dragster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfbV1PlJMeY

Draigflag 07-13-2015 08:57 AM

That's a scary amount of fuel, way too much for any vehicle regardless of how many thousand hp it has!

The only thing with hypermiling a fast car is that you begin questioning the point of owning such a car, and you get people looking at you saying "why own a car like that and drive it slowly?" at least that's what I say everytime I'm forced to overtake a Ferrari with its 75+ aged owner travelling at 45 Mph everywhere...

I used to have a Sporty little car, but I drove it slow to get good fuel economy, that's why I changed to my little diesel, it suits my laid back nature more, but if I want to drive quick and aggressively, my fuel economy won't drop below 50 Mpg anyway. Win win.

ChewChewTrain 07-13-2015 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 184385)
That's a scary amount of fuel, way too much for any vehicle regardless of how many thousand hp it has!

The only thing with hypermiling a fast car is that you begin questioning the point of owning such a car, and you get people looking at you saying "why own a car like that and drive it slowly?" at least that's what I say everytime I'm forced to overtake a Ferrari with its 75+ aged owner travelling at 45 Mph everywhere...

I used to have a Sporty little car, but I drove it slow to get good fuel economy, that's why I changed to my little diesel, it suits my laid back nature more, but if I want to drive quick and aggressively, my fuel economy won't drop below 50 Mpg anyway. Win win.

Handling finesse is SO much more practical for daily fun over raw horsepower. My other car is a MX-5. It being the world's best selling sportscar is a testament to it's value.

In the right hands and with the right tires, that humble little car can probably make a 90 degree, right turn at any intersection as fast as any supercar. :)

Draigflag, your earlier comment inspired me to have a bit of fun and post this Fuelly message:

https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/hyp...ous-17941.html

Cheers, Doug in Oakland, California :)

Jay2TheRescue 07-13-2015 06:19 PM

I said yes, however I have absolutely no desire to own a vehicle like that.

Draigflag 07-13-2015 10:56 PM

Did you also know that a routine service costs about $20,000, a set of tyres on the SS version cost $30,000 and will last about 15 minutes at top speed! Then every few thousand miles the wheels have to be stress tested for cracks etc, that's about another $35,000. To run a car like that would cost 100,000's of $$$ alone.

ChewChewTrain 07-13-2015 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 184398)
Did you also know that a routine service costs about $20,000, a set of tyres on the SS version cost $30,000 and will last about 15 minutes at top speed! Then every few thousand miles the wheels have to be stress tested for cracks etc, that's about another $35,000. To run a car like that would cost 100,000's of $$$ alone.

Fun stuff! I read a story where someone decided it was cheaper to take a private jet and have their Veyron trailered to a destination than to drive it there.

Along those lines, a buddy bought a Tesla. They start at $70k, but I heard they're more like $120k after you get the most popular options.

In California you might was well call the sales tax 10%. My friend paid more in sales tax than I paid for my lovely, although used MX-5. With the $113k savings that's like getting "free gas for life"! :)

ChewChewTrain 07-13-2015 11:15 PM

Oh. And, as expensive as the Veyron may be to buy, Volkswagon STILL loses money.

Draigflag 07-14-2015 01:18 AM

They did initially yes, it's an engineering masterpiece that cost millions to develop, much like a Formula 1 car, or Rally car. A friend of mine Elfyn, is about 5th in the World Rally, he has a fiesta with a 1.6 litre 300 hp engine which cost about £500,000. Only designed to last a season, there's not much profit there either!

ChewChewTrain 07-14-2015 05:32 AM

You buddy Elfyn should post his race mileage on Fuelly.com. His fuel savings will help pay for his new engine. I'm smart, eh? And, I wasn't even tryin'! :)

benlovesgoddess 11-06-2015 10:50 PM

I had a Citroën Xantia Hdi estate (as a pizza delivery car, complete with stick on flames!) and thanks to the Hydropneumatic suspension, I used to boast to people "she makes love to the roundabouts!". It had about 110 bhp, returned about 35 to the gallon working. Another old '92 Astra 1.7 turbo diesel estate (Isuzu engine) was a treat to throw around country lanes and city streets delivering. These weren't particularly powerful cars but they (at least seemed to!) handled well. I d never want a Veyron. If I had more money than sense, then possibly a Mazerati Quatreporte (if diesel) but a 1St gen Honda Insight would be my first lottery purchase. If I was ever to own something as inefficient, expensive to run and in need of transport to locations, I d at least want a WW2 tank of halftrack!

Draigflag 11-07-2015 12:46 AM

Ben there are plenty of MK1 insights on EBay, it's one of my saved searches, they are pretty rare, but there are lots of Japanese imports coming over now as they sold more over there. Some have auto boxes so watch out. They demand more money, but a UK example will be more "used" than an import. As for the Masserati, both the Quattroporte and the smaller Ghibli have excellent diesel engines available, keep saving! ;)

benlovesgoddess 11-07-2015 12:42 PM

Ha ha! Will be a LONG time from now - just bought my first house, no toys, projects or spare cars for me unless I win the lottery! A mk 1 insight went unsold on eBay for less than £2,500 a whole back, about half what I d seen before, but I m in no position to get one.

LDB 11-08-2015 08:32 AM

I would take the Veyron money and buy an Ariel Atom and a lot of cool other stuff like a Lotus Elan, Austin Healey Mk III, Norton Commando and several similar cool things and have a lot of money left over.

NickZee 11-25-2015 01:37 PM

As some of you know, I hypermile my BMW 640i Gran Coupe. Although it is far from a supercar, people find it weird that I would hypermile an expensive car. They don't understand the satisfaction of conserving fuel and emissions while also avoiding fuelling stops so that a tank seems to stretch forever.

But a Bugatti is all about the engine. It would not make sense to me when the situation is taken to this extreme.

Draigflag 11-25-2015 11:11 PM

Just an afterthought, I wonder if the W16 VW engine in the Bugatti Veyron is subject to the emissions scandal? ;)

Charon 11-26-2015 04:04 AM

As an unrelated matter, were a US citizen to be given (or win in a lottery) a Veyron, the US Internal Revenue "Service" would consider it to be income. It would be taxed as income for the year in which it was given, at the sticker price. Mighty few could afford to pay the taxes on it.

ChewChewTrain 12-27-2015 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charon (Post 186269)
As an unrelated matter, were a US citizen to be given (or win in a lottery) a Veyron, the US Internal Revenue "Service" would consider it to be income. It would be taxed as income for the year in which it was given, at the sticker price. Mighty few could afford to pay the taxes on it.

OUCH!

While we're poking holes in fantasies... Remember this. For example, when you pay $20k cash for a car, you're really paying $30k. That's because, if you typically lose 30% of your gross paycheck to federal/state taxes, you have to EARN $30k in order to have $20k leftover to pay for the car.

Draigflag 12-28-2015 01:57 AM

I don't think people who buy a Veyron would worry about that, it's not just a case of having a couple of million tucked away, these things cost an absolute fortune in fuel and servicing too. I read a story a few years back where a rich Arab in London paid £17,000 to service his Lambo, he actually flew it privately back to Italy, imagine the carbon footprint!

Jcp385 01-07-2016 05:05 AM

I have pondered this...I think I would try a time or two just to see, but I wouldn't regularly do it. Then again, even as a kid I wasn't into supercars. Though probably not for the reasons some here might cite for not being supercar fans.

luv2spd 01-08-2016 02:13 PM

Yes, I would hypermile a Veyron.

I hypermiled once or twice with all the cars that I have owned, just because I’m curious and saving gas is good. I hypermiled my 5.5L V-8 Mercedes once and got 25mpg; I also had the indicator show 26mpg which was probably correct based on filling up. I also kept to the 68mph speed limit; didn’t go slower or faster. When I had the Prius C I did the exact opposite once, I wanted to see what the fuel consumption is going as fast as I possibly could doing the same trip. I was doing 75-87mph the whole trip and once I topped out at 100mph going downhill (this was limited by air resistance and the 99hp combined power). I got 42 (s)miles per gallon. I think hypermiling a Veyron would not change the fuel consumption much; the 16 cylinders are constantly getting fuel and the engine is grossly under stressed at any speed around the speed limit.

Also, I would never buy a Veyron, although I’m glad it exists. They are already working on the Bugatti Chiron, the successor to the Veyron:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjNHVf08VZg

Draigflag 01-09-2016 12:56 AM

Top Gear did a similar experiment with a Prius V's a BMW with I think either a 4.0 or 5.0 litre engine. It was wasn't very scientific but when they thrashed the Prius and drove the BMW at the same rate behind it, the Prius got about 19 mpg and the BMW got something like 22 mpg ha! I thrashed my Clio last year as an experiment, and got it down to 50 MPG, wouldn't budge below, but I didn't have and really long stretches of road so I maxed out at about 70-80 Mph.