Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Tool for visualizing aero vs rolling resistance (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/tool-for-visualizing-aero-vs-rolling-resistance-1802.html)

MetroMPG 03-21-2006 05:42 PM

same formulas, brick? care

same formulas, brick? care to share?

fyi, for anyone not following the mirrors thread, i just wanted to post some links that basjoos added today. i had a quick look, and these PDFs look like they have some solid, practical aero info we can all benefit from:

Quote:

Originally Posted by basjoos
According the the following article, the rear view mirrors contribute 3% to 6% of the total vehicle drag.

https://www.tfd.chalmers.se/~lelo/rvad/reports/rva2002_gr11_contribution-to-drag.pdf

The following article also has a lot of basic information about drag reduction in cars.

https://www.tfd.chalmers.se/~lelo/rvad/reports/rva2002_gr10_drag-reducing.pdf

as for the web page calculator, i haven't finished tweaking. i'll try to get it a bit more polished soon.

JanGeo 03-23-2006 08:23 PM

AIRTABS edit

Hey anyone heard of these airtabs www.airtab.com seems they breakup the vortex behind a non-aero body shape - might work for my xB for only $2.50 each and 3 per foot . . . . my bad not airtabS

SVOboy 03-23-2006 08:27 PM

That domain is for sale, bad

That domain is for sale, bad link mehbe?

rh77 03-24-2006 12:35 AM

Re: punch cards!! i caught the

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
at that time my "PC" was a Commodore 64 :)

I've got ya beat. First computer: Commodore VIC-20. 5K bytes of RAM, no hard-drive, only a cassette tape to store data. And it plugged right into the TV set!

Had to chime in...

RH77

rh77 03-24-2006 01:13 AM

Re: AIRTABS

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanGeo
Hey anyone heard of these airtabs www.airtabs.com seems they breakup the vortex behind a non-aero body shape - might work for my xB for only $2.50 each and 3 per foot . . . .

The Mistubishi Evo IX uses "Vortex Generators" to help with this sort of airflow to maximize spoiler usage. It could also help with square-backed vehicles:

https://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL698.../135058317.jpg

RH77

Matt Timion 03-24-2006 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77
The Mistubishi Evo IX uses "Vortex Generators" to help with this sort of airflow to maximize spoiler usage. It could also help with square-backed vehicles:

RH77

the cool thing about this design is that it will also help keep people off the beach if you want it all to yourself.

n0rt0npr0 03-24-2006 08:28 AM

Quote:

RH77

I seen these! Think they would help my square backed car?? Would the airtab have the same effect?
https://images6.theimagehosting.com/C...areBack.th.jpg

rh77 03-24-2006 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n0rt0npr0
I seen these! Think they would help my square backed car?? Would the airtab have the same effect

From what I know about aerodynamics (and what I saw on "Mythbusters"), the vortex generators could create a "pillow of air" between your back glass and trunk lip. This way, the air could potentially ride over the vortex creating less drag -- in theory.

RH77

rh77 03-24-2006 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
the cool thing about this design is that it will also help keep people off the beach if you want it all to yourself.

Dun-nuh...dun-nuh...dun-nuh Jaws IV!

or from early SNL:

Knock, Knock...Land Shark...

RH77

MetroMPG 03-24-2006 08:43 AM

if you want more technical

if you want more technical info straight from the horse's mouth:

https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate/about_us/technology/review/e/pdf/2004/16E_03.pdf

krousdb 03-24-2006 09:47 AM

Thanks for the good read.

Thanks for the good read. It just seems like for 0.006 decrease in Cd, it may not be worth the effort and expense.

SVOboy 03-24-2006 01:04 PM

Quote:Thanks for the good

Quote:

Thanks for the good read. It just seems like for 0.006 decrease in Cd, it may not be worth the effort and expense.
Says the man with a .376 Cd!

krousdb 03-24-2006 02:59 PM

Re: Quote:Thanks for the good

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Quote:

Says the man with a .376 Cd!

So I can put those thingys on my roof and bring my CD down from .378 to .372 or about 1%. I'm thinking a fresh coat of wax will have about the same effect. :)

rh77 03-24-2006 03:40 PM

Crap, 6-ten-thousanths?

That's crap. 0.0006 decrease in Cd? The bugs stuck on the bumper create more than that. I was hoping for more (as most were, but the downforce on the spoiler at high speeds might benefit, who knows). Maybe if we stick 10,000 of them all over the car, we'll get some results! Anyhoo, they look cool. The STI has a sub-spoiler bar across the top of the back window -- probably a similar effect. But those guys in the photos looked real happy! "We just spent 2 years of 16-hour days developing nothing of significance".

-RH77

krousdb 03-24-2006 03:51 PM

Re: Crap, 6-ten-thousanths?

Quote:

That's crap. 0.0006 decrease in Cd?

Actually, I think you are off by a decimal point. Wasn't it 0.006? Still, it is only 1% and it only makes a difference at highway speeds. Since I don't do much highway travel with the del sol, it might be worth .25 - .50% overall.

Those guys looked like they could use a vacation.

rh77 03-24-2006 04:00 PM

Re: Crap, 6-ten-thousanths?

Quote:

Originally Posted by krousdb
Quote:

That's crap. 0.0006 decrease in Cd?

Actually, I think you are off by a decimal point. Wasn't it 0.006? Still, it is only 1% and it only makes a difference at highway speeds. Since I don't do much highway travel with the del sol, it might be worth .25 - .50% overall.

Those guys looked like they could use a vacation.

Yeah, my bad...0.006. Why don't they look into taking the mirrors off and replacing them with cameras, and ditching the antenna? That would save an appreciable amount of drag. Schtuff like that?

RH77

Oops, yeah, my bad -- an extra zero. So, 6-thousanths of an increase. I'd say putting in rear-view cameras instead of mirror, removing the antenna and such would increase Cd a helluva lot more.

SVOboy 03-24-2006 04:35 PM

Quote:So I can put those

Quote:

So I can put those thingys on my roof and bring my CD down from .378 to .372 or about 1%. I'm thinking a fresh coat of wax will have about the same effect. Smiling
Better wax the car yo, and you'll get near to my Cd.

rh77 03-24-2006 09:53 PM

Re: Quote:So I can put those

How the heck did that double post on itself. I got an error message, went back and re-typed it. Wierd -- didn't mean to say the same thing twice.

By the way, have I mentioned removing the mirrors?

Anyways, I betcha I have a relatively low Cd -- it's a hatchback. Any stats on the 'teg?

RH77

SVOboy 03-25-2006 06:40 AM

Looks like you're a .32, not

Looks like you're a .32, not bad.

rh77 03-25-2006 06:48 AM

Re: Looks like you're a .32, not

Quote:

Looks like you're a .32, not bad.

Nice - thanks for the research. So it looks like maybe more efficient tires may help for low-speeds. With .32, there really isn't much more to do, I s'pose. Maybe block the grille, put some plastic tabs in front of the wheel wells (like the Prius, HCH, etc.) Lowering might help too (but the cost...)

RH77

SVOboy 03-25-2006 06:55 AM

What about a full undertray?

What about a full undertray? Mwahaha, mod from heeeellllllll.

PS: <A href=https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/APC-coilover-springs-lowering-Honda-Civic-Integra_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33586QQitemZ804 9824249QQrdZ1 target=_blank>Lowering a teg for 25 bucks</a>

rh77 03-25-2006 07:04 AM

Re: What about a full undertray?

Quote:

What about a full undertray? Mwahaha, mod from heeeellllllll.

PS: <A href=https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/APC-coilover-springs-lowering-Honda-Civic-Integra_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33586QQitemZ804 9824249QQrdZ1 target=_blank>Lowering a teg for 25 bucks</a>

Yeah right, a full undertray. That sound like so much fun to install! With my luck and engineering, parts would come off and cause an accident.

Anyways, you lower the car (I'd have to have someone install it -- not that proficient at suspension work, and spring safety), get a camber kit to straighten that out, take it in for an alignment, I'd bottom out daily (driveway and coffee shop). Granted, it would look better, but then you have to get rims for it to look right, and an exhaust to complete the package...

RH77

SVOboy 03-25-2006 07:06 AM

Camber kits are for losers,

Camber kits are for losers, :p

SVOboy 03-25-2006 07:07 AM

For that matter, so are non

For that matter, so are non DIY alignments. If you're selling drugs in NJ anytime soon swing buy and I'll put some coilovers on for you, should only take about 2 hours.

rh77 03-25-2006 07:17 AM

Re: For that matter, so are non

Quote:

For that matter, so are non DIY alignments. If you're selling drugs in NJ anytime soon swing buy and I'll put some coilovers on for you, should only take about 2 hours.

Yeah, I'll swing by with some experimental Congestive Heart Failure medication and we'll make a deal (you have to sign a consent form first) :-) BTW, the drugs are free, in most cases we actually pay you!

RH77

SVOboy 03-25-2006 07:21 AM

Eh, I don't even take

Eh, I don't even take acietamenphine or how ev you spell it when I have a headache, (the last 3 days being a good example).

rh77 03-25-2006 07:42 AM

Criteria

Well, I don't suppose you're in NYHA Class III or IV heart failure and have been hospitalized for decompensated CHF is the last 60 days, so I'm sorry, but you may not qualify.

As for Tylenol, that's a good philosophy -- if you take Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen too often, when you really hurt and need it, then your body's built up a tolerance to the meds and they're worthless.

This year, I refused to take an antibiotic for my 4-week bout of Laryngitis into Bronchitis up to Sinusitis. It was probably viral anyway, and if I went to the doctor, he would probably prescribe an antibiotic (like every year when I get bronchitis) and in the meantime, the bacteria is becoming stronger and immune to the meds so people who actually have bacterial infections require stronger meds, ad infinitum.

(and to make the post valid to the topic: I think rear decklid spoilers, factory-spec or otherwise, create more drag than they're worth -- so I'm not completely off topic ;-) )

RH77

krousdb 03-25-2006 08:09 AM

Quote:

You shuold make RH77 sign a release form before you install them, especially if he has a bad back.

Bounce, bounce, bounce.... down the street. I am used to it and it's not bad for me because I stay off the interstates and the roads are fairly smooth. But the times that I have to drive on I-79 the incessant bouncing turns my brains to mush.

thisisntjared 03-25-2006 08:12 AM

i thought that the newer

i thought that the newer tegs had a lower cd?

you guys know what the cd is of a 94 civic hatch??

SVOboy 03-25-2006 08:17 AM

I would prolly get him to

I would prolly get him to install something a bit more substantial since it seems like his wife might drive the teg every once and a while and she likes the smooth stuff.

rh77 03-25-2006 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krousdb
Quote:

You shuold make RH77 sign a release form before you install them, especially if he has a bad back.

Bounce, bounce, bounce.... down the street. I am used to it and it's not bad for me because I stay off the interstates and the roads are fairly smooth. But the times that I have to drive on I-79 the incessant bouncing turns my brains to mush.

Honestly, I do have a bad back (another good call), ironically (degenerative disc disease). For the most part it's OK, but yeah, the jolts probably would be a bad idea. L4-L5 and L5-S1 are both shot, so I don't personally have shock absorbers in my lower back, and if the squished disc pushes against the spinal cord due to inflammation, my leg goes numb and hurts. Wish I would've known that when I was lifting 300-lb patients as a Medic/Firefighter 5 years ago (found out around 2 years back).

RH77