Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Welcome back DaX! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/welcome-back-dax-1818.html)

SVOboy 03-22-2006 06:38 PM

Quote:it maybe harsh but

Wiki err0r double post.

rh77 03-22-2006 06:39 PM

Re: it maybe harsh but true. 60%

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
it maybe harsh but true. 60% in marriages end in divorce. 80% of the marriages want to divorce but can't due to reasons of single parent, child support or etc.

My grandparents of 42 years even divorced, my aunt also divoced.

Son, you're on the edge of "Troll" status with a statement like that. You should be ashamed of yourself. I wish Dax the best with his marriage, and IMO you owe him an on-post apology. Just because you've been tainted by divorce doesn't give you the right to bring others down with you. I come from a family of divorces, but I'm happily married for about 2 years now and I don't try to belittle people that try things that I disagree with. I hope the marriage lasts through our lifetimes, and we're really working at it. I think Dax will do well based upon the foundation he has started in researching a home purchase.

Compaq888, I feel bad that your life has clearly been negatively affected by divorce. I hope your life improves and wish you the best despite your attitude toward others.

Rick Harrell
"RH77"

rh77 03-22-2006 06:39 PM

You should be ashamed of yourself V2.0

Wiki Wiki

rh77 03-22-2006 06:40 PM

You should be ashamed of yourself V3.0

Wiki Trifecta

Compaq888 03-22-2006 07:01 PM

my life is not tained by

my life is not tained by divorces. People remarry. There is nothing wrong with getting divorced except the part where you lose 50% or more of your money and etc.

congrats on marriage :)

thisisntjared 03-22-2006 07:20 PM

there is everything wrong

there is everything wrong with divorce. ive seen too many broken families and problems come from it. it is extremely destructive

the fact that those statistics are getting worse makes me sick!

i hate to totally thread jack, but if your going to get married with divorce being an option, then you didnt really get married.

in a real marriage, divorce is never an option.

Compaq888 03-22-2006 07:26 PM

Sorry If I came out all

Sorry If I came out all harsh Dax, I just want to wish you well. When my grandparents divorced and my aunt nobody sued anybody for any money. But you know how it is in America. Everybody gets sued over any little thing. I do wish you a happy marriage.

Matt Timion 03-22-2006 09:14 PM

Quote:

it maybe harsh but true. 60% in marriages end in divorce. 80% of the marriages want to divorce but can't due to reasons of single parent, child support or etc.

Prenup sounds stupid now but you'll be happy if you get divorced in the future due to the prenup saving you.

Unless you can give me a source for your stats, I don't buy it. Having taken a number of stats classes it's very easy to see how stats can be misused and obscured.

We discussed this exact situation in my stats class as an example of how "stats lie." While 50% of marriages end in divorce, this doesn't mean that 50% of people who get married get divorced. I know people who have been married 6 times. Each one of those marriages counts towards the 50% statistic. Brittany Spears' shotgun wedding and subsequent divorce also counts towards this stat, as do all of the teenagers who get married on a whim and divorced a year later.

Sadly a lot of the divorce statistics are just propoganda made to make you think that the world is in a worse place than it really is. After all, if the world is in a horrible place then you'll buy into the "solution," whatever it may be. You'll see the same type of mentality arise when people start talking about fuel economy, or perhaps try to sell you their device. Create the cancer, and then offer the cure.

I've been divorced, and I'm a young guy. It doesn't mean that I'm going to get divorced again. I think when you tell someone to get a prenup you're essentially telling them that you don't believe their marriage will work, which is a rather large insult when coming from a stranger on the internet. Saying such a thing implies that the person he is marrying is only out for money, that the marriage will fail, and that he will be screwed in the end.

Anyway, Dax... good luck with classes. Wedding preparations suck, but it's always worth it in the end. Please pop in every once in a while and give us updates. Hopefully we'll hear about the car show soon.

Compaq888 03-22-2006 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote:

Prenup sounds stupid now but you'll be happy if you get divorced in the future due to the prenup saving you.

Unless you can give me a source for your stats, I don't buy it. Having taken a number of stats classes it's very easy to see how stats can be misused and obscured.

We discussed this exact situation in my stats class as an example of how "stats lie." While 50% of marriages end in divorce, this doesn't mean that 50% of people who get married get divorced. I know people who have been married 6 times. Each one of those marriages counts towards the 50% statistic. Brittany Spears' shotgun wedding and subsequent divorce also counts towards this stat, as do all of the teenagers who get married on a whim and divorced a year later.

Sadly a lot of the divorce statistics are just propoganda made to make you think that the world is in a worse place than it really is. After all, if the world is in a horrible place then you'll buy into the "solution," whatever it may be. You'll see the same type of mentality arise when people start talking about fuel economy, or perhaps try to sell you their device. Create the cancer, and then offer the cure.

I've been divorced, and I'm a young guy. It doesn't mean that I'm going to get divorced again. I think when you tell someone to get a prenup you're essentially telling them that you don't believe their marriage will work, which is a rather large insult when coming from a stranger on the internet. Saying such a thing implies that the person he is marrying is only out for money, that the marriage will fail, and that he will be screwed in the end.

Anyway, Dax... good luck with classes. Wedding preparations suck, but it's always worth it in the end. Please pop in every once in a while and give us updates. Hopefully we'll hear about the car show soon.

I never implied that a prenup would end up in a divorce later on. People change that is the reason for a prenup.

rh77 03-22-2006 11:21 PM

Do some Research and try to Understand

Quote:

I never implied that a prenup would end up in a divorce later on. People change that is the reason for a prenup.

Perhaps there's a culture or perception gap here. C-888, we're trying to tell you about the perception of the pre-nuptual agreement in American Society. From my experiences, the pre-nup is reserved for people like Donald Trump and Jessica Simpson. The average person in the U.S. would be broken hearted, offended, and it does indeed imply, "Hey if this doesn't work out, I get 80% of everything". That completely dismisses the bond of commitment since there's an "escape route". Mark my words - if you ever mention a pre-nup, you'll lose the love of your life. People change, but people adapt. People change, but most are willing to take that chance. Even if a divorce occurs, the experiences that you've had together can never be replaced, even if you have to give up a percentage of things with a pricetag. You can't put a price on love.

Dax, Matt summed it up -- the planning stage is sometimes rough for the Groom, but when planned properly, the Big Day will go off without a glitch. Good luck with school, the job, and the whole works.

RH77