Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   my first 70+ mpg (US) segment (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/my-first-70-mpg-us-segment-1825.html)

MetroMPG 03-24-2006 08:30 AM

my first 70+ mpg (US) segment

this morning i had a very productive trip to see the scrap guy (in more ways than one - i'll post more in the EV thread later)...

- cold start, rural/exurban/urban combo, 11 miles / 17.7km
- 67.6 km/h / 42 mph MAX
- 32.2 km/h / 20 mpg AVG
- 17.7 km / 11 mi. round trip
- .5 hours elapsed driving time

Wind Direction (WDIR): SSW ( 200 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 6 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 6 kts
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 30.14 in
Air Temperature (ATMP): 38.1 °F

- 3.34 L/100 km / 70.4 mpg (US) / 84.55 mpg (imp)

- driving style: like a crazy man. (crazy for fuel economy that is.) engine off wherever i could, only possible due to light to no traffic on the rural/exurban portions of my route. you can see my AVG speed is pretty loooooooow. how crazy?

when it became apparent i was within shooting distance of 70, i stopped on the side of the road at one point for 3-4 minutes (engine off, of course) to wait for a specific strategic combo of traffic flow & stoplights to arise in my favour at a particularly troublesome spot. crazy crazy.

disclaimer: mpg figures are as reported by the scangauge - note i haven't filled up since installing the ignition kill switch, so i don't know how accurately it's figuring things out with this technique.

krousdb 03-24-2006 08:55 AM

Crazy Dude! Crazy! Where do

Crazy Dude! Crazy! Where do I get some of them thar imperial gallons. They appear to make quite a difference in the Firefly. Do you think I will have the same results?

W000t!

MetroMPG 03-24-2006 09:10 AM

yes, it sure is nice to talk

yes, it sure is nice to talk in imperial gallons once in a while. makes me look pretty good.

tell you what: i'll ship you some of those imperial gallons when you ship me some more of that warm weather ;)

MetroMPG 03-29-2006 01:29 PM

a 77.7 mpg segment

oh yeah... another craaaaazy segment today - my first @ 75+ mpg

- warm start, rural/exurban/urban combo
- 75.6 km/h / 47 mph MAX
- 40.2 km/h / 25 mph AVG
- 32.3 km / 20.1 miles round trip
- .7 hours elapsed driving time

Wind Direction (WDIR): SSW ( 210 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 11 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 12 kts
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 30.24 in
Air Temperature (ATMP): 47.1 °F

- 3.03 L/100 km / 77.7 mpg (US) / 93.31 mpg (imp)

for a while it was over 80 (US), but i had a stretch of highway to do where there weren't any coasting opportunities. thus the sucky 77.7. i'm beginning to see the potential advantage of driving on hilly roads vs. flatland.

tank average is now 61.2 @ 160 miles.

it'll be cool if i can crack the 100 mpg (imp) threshold when it warms up and i get my full aero treatment in place.

(standard disclaimer: s.g. readings not yet compared to fill-up for engine-off coasting technique)

JanGeo 03-29-2006 01:49 PM

added savings

Hey see if your fuel pump runs a recirculating bypass regulator - my Geo pumps the extra pressure and fuel back into the tank thus wasting electrical power running the pump - if we could add a plentium to the high pressure side and cycle the pump on and off or run it slower we could reduce the electrical load it puts on the battery / alternator and save some energy especially when going slow.

krousdb 03-29-2006 03:33 PM

Re: a 77.7 mpg segment

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
- 3.03 L/100 km / 77.7 mpg (US) / 93.31 mpg (imp)

for a while it was over 80 (US), but i had a stretch of highway to do where there weren't any coasting opportunities. thus the sucky 77.7. i'm beginning to see the potential advantage of driving on hilly roads vs. flatland.

tank average is now 61.2 @ 160 miles.

it'll be cool if i can crack the 100 mpg (imp) threshold when it warms up and i get my full aero treatment in place.

(standard disclaimer: s.g. readings not yet compared to fill-up for engine-off coasting technique)

Yes Metrosan. Feeeeel the the force Metrosan. Soon 100 MPG will be yesterdays news for you.

I'm jealous! :)

SVOboy 03-29-2006 03:53 PM

Quote:Yes Metrosan. Feeeeel

Quote:

Yes Metrosan. Feeeeel the the force Metrosan. Soon 100 MPG will be yesterdays news for you.

I'm jealous! Smiling
???????????????????????????

krousdb 03-29-2006 04:03 PM

Re: Quote:Yes Metrosan. Feeeeel

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy

Babelfish translates this as :

SVOboy 03-29-2006 04:08 PM

Babelfish can't read

Babelfish can't read japanese.

It says in romaji:

Aa, sou desuka? Meturo-san ha (wa) ichiban desuyooooo!

In english:

O rly? Mr. Metro's the beeeest!

Matt Timion 03-29-2006 04:19 PM

Re: Babelfish can't read

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
O rly? Mr. Metro's the beeeest!

https://www.hjo3.net/orly/gal1/orly_owl.jpg