Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   my first 70+ mpg (US) segment (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/my-first-70-mpg-us-segment-1825.html)

MetroMPG 03-24-2006 08:30 AM

my first 70+ mpg (US) segment

this morning i had a very productive trip to see the scrap guy (in more ways than one - i'll post more in the EV thread later)...

- cold start, rural/exurban/urban combo, 11 miles / 17.7km
- 67.6 km/h / 42 mph MAX
- 32.2 km/h / 20 mpg AVG
- 17.7 km / 11 mi. round trip
- .5 hours elapsed driving time

Wind Direction (WDIR): SSW ( 200 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 6 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 6 kts
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 30.14 in
Air Temperature (ATMP): 38.1 °F

- 3.34 L/100 km / 70.4 mpg (US) / 84.55 mpg (imp)

- driving style: like a crazy man. (crazy for fuel economy that is.) engine off wherever i could, only possible due to light to no traffic on the rural/exurban portions of my route. you can see my AVG speed is pretty loooooooow. how crazy?

when it became apparent i was within shooting distance of 70, i stopped on the side of the road at one point for 3-4 minutes (engine off, of course) to wait for a specific strategic combo of traffic flow & stoplights to arise in my favour at a particularly troublesome spot. crazy crazy.

disclaimer: mpg figures are as reported by the scangauge - note i haven't filled up since installing the ignition kill switch, so i don't know how accurately it's figuring things out with this technique.

krousdb 03-24-2006 08:55 AM

Crazy Dude! Crazy! Where do

Crazy Dude! Crazy! Where do I get some of them thar imperial gallons. They appear to make quite a difference in the Firefly. Do you think I will have the same results?

W000t!

MetroMPG 03-24-2006 09:10 AM

yes, it sure is nice to talk

yes, it sure is nice to talk in imperial gallons once in a while. makes me look pretty good.

tell you what: i'll ship you some of those imperial gallons when you ship me some more of that warm weather ;)

MetroMPG 03-29-2006 01:29 PM

a 77.7 mpg segment

oh yeah... another craaaaazy segment today - my first @ 75+ mpg

- warm start, rural/exurban/urban combo
- 75.6 km/h / 47 mph MAX
- 40.2 km/h / 25 mph AVG
- 32.3 km / 20.1 miles round trip
- .7 hours elapsed driving time

Wind Direction (WDIR): SSW ( 210 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 11 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 12 kts
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 30.24 in
Air Temperature (ATMP): 47.1 °F

- 3.03 L/100 km / 77.7 mpg (US) / 93.31 mpg (imp)

for a while it was over 80 (US), but i had a stretch of highway to do where there weren't any coasting opportunities. thus the sucky 77.7. i'm beginning to see the potential advantage of driving on hilly roads vs. flatland.

tank average is now 61.2 @ 160 miles.

it'll be cool if i can crack the 100 mpg (imp) threshold when it warms up and i get my full aero treatment in place.

(standard disclaimer: s.g. readings not yet compared to fill-up for engine-off coasting technique)

JanGeo 03-29-2006 01:49 PM

added savings

Hey see if your fuel pump runs a recirculating bypass regulator - my Geo pumps the extra pressure and fuel back into the tank thus wasting electrical power running the pump - if we could add a plentium to the high pressure side and cycle the pump on and off or run it slower we could reduce the electrical load it puts on the battery / alternator and save some energy especially when going slow.

krousdb 03-29-2006 03:33 PM

Re: a 77.7 mpg segment

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
- 3.03 L/100 km / 77.7 mpg (US) / 93.31 mpg (imp)

for a while it was over 80 (US), but i had a stretch of highway to do where there weren't any coasting opportunities. thus the sucky 77.7. i'm beginning to see the potential advantage of driving on hilly roads vs. flatland.

tank average is now 61.2 @ 160 miles.

it'll be cool if i can crack the 100 mpg (imp) threshold when it warms up and i get my full aero treatment in place.

(standard disclaimer: s.g. readings not yet compared to fill-up for engine-off coasting technique)

Yes Metrosan. Feeeeel the the force Metrosan. Soon 100 MPG will be yesterdays news for you.

I'm jealous! :)

SVOboy 03-29-2006 03:53 PM

Quote:Yes Metrosan. Feeeeel

Quote:

Yes Metrosan. Feeeeel the the force Metrosan. Soon 100 MPG will be yesterdays news for you.

I'm jealous! Smiling
???????????????????????????

krousdb 03-29-2006 04:03 PM

Re: Quote:Yes Metrosan. Feeeeel

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy

Babelfish translates this as :

SVOboy 03-29-2006 04:08 PM

Babelfish can't read

Babelfish can't read japanese.

It says in romaji:

Aa, sou desuka? Meturo-san ha (wa) ichiban desuyooooo!

In english:

O rly? Mr. Metro's the beeeest!

Matt Timion 03-29-2006 04:19 PM

Re: Babelfish can't read

Quote:

O rly? Mr. Metro's the beeeest!

https://www.hjo3.net/orly/gal1/orly_owl.jpg

SVOboy 03-29-2006 04:23 PM

Technically it's like "Oh,

Technically it's like "Oh, is that so?" But same difference.

MetroMPG 03-29-2006 04:44 PM

Re: added savings

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanGeo
Hey see if your fuel pump runs a recirculating bypass regulator - my Geo pumps the extra pressure and fuel back into the tank

yup, mine does the same. instead of changing the pump loading though, i'm going to try offloading the entire electrical system to the grid by going alternator-optional with a deep cycle battery, a trickle charger and my solar panel.

MetroMPG 03-29-2006 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krousdb

don't be too jealous. i sought out a route today that i thought would deliver the best results and was basically joyriding far out of my way to see what i could get - and in next to no traffic. (FASing sure makes you aware of what's coming up behind, though...)

imho, krousdb is the FE yoda around here.

krousdb 03-29-2006 05:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

don't be too jealous. i sought out a route today that i thought would deliver the best results and was basically joyriding far out of my way to see what i could get - and in next to no traffic. (FASing sure makes you aware of what's coming up behind, though...)

imho, krousdb is the FE yoda around here.

Thanks for the compliment but I must defer to basjoos. He has the top spot in the gaslog as well as all 10 top tanks. All hail the king, basjoos!

MetroMPG 03-29-2006 05:07 PM

wow. guess i hadn't looked

wow. guess i hadn't looked in the gaslog since i last filled up.

SVOboy 03-29-2006 05:08 PM

Ah, he got back on top of

Ah, he got back on top of you for the top stop, that'll change with your next tank though, I hate to say, :p

Anyway, you'll get some tanks in there I'm sure. I definately intend to get back up there.

krousdb 03-29-2006 05:15 PM

Re: Ah, he got back on top of

Quote:

Ah, he got back on top of you for the top stop, that'll change with your next tank though, I hate to say, :p

Anyway, you'll get some tanks in there I'm sure. I definately intend to get back up there.

Yes, I will probably jump back on top temporarily with a 57 MPG tank. But eventually I wont be able to catch up if he keeps posting 70 MPG tanks. I am doomed until I get the CX tranny. Then maybe I can approach 70. That and a little SVOboy magic which I will be testing tomorrow.

The tension builds...

Compaq888 03-29-2006 05:19 PM

I hate this!!!! I refueled 3

I hate this!!!! I refueled 3 times in the last 3 weeks!!!!!!

XFi 03-29-2006 05:25 PM

I'm just trying to catch up

I'm just trying to catch up to MetroMPG :)
---At least the retired numbers---
Wish me luck (and say a prayer)

MetroMPG 03-29-2006 05:34 PM

i think the moral of the

i think the moral of the story is:

"Gentlemen! STOP... YOUR... ENGINES!!!"

(whenever practical while coasting and stopped)

XFi 03-29-2006 05:41 PM

Been coasting as much as

Been coasting as much as possible, hope this next tank of mine 'at least' breaks into the low to mid 50s. Disappointing when you can't even make the EPA ratings. Oh well, warm weather is here! :)

SVOboy 03-29-2006 05:46 PM

Ya rly, xfi, I hope I do

Ya rly, xfi, I hope I do good this tank. I got screwed on the fill up cuz it barely graxed the F for like a mile, which is 50-80 less miles throughout the tank then, and it seems to be doing good none the less, my first tank back won't be accurate, :'(

MetroMPG 03-29-2006 05:55 PM

Re: I'm just trying to catch up

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroXFi
I'm just trying to catch up to MetroMPG :)
---At least the retired numbers---
Wish me luck (and say a prayer)

you don't need luck or prayers - you're already close. you'll be blasting past that car in no time.

rh77 03-29-2006 08:03 PM

Re: i think the moral of the

Quote:

I've meaning to ask. In a world of people rushing around, where exactly do you go "engine-off". I've been trying this more lately, but then traffic bears down on me, and I have to fire it back up to keep the locals from getting restless.

Next, at a long light, I go N and engine-off -- but with the automatic, you have to watch the opposing light, start when it turns yellow, then shift to D after a second or so and things are ready to go. One must not jump the gun, or the transmission gets offended. And by the way, how hard is it to change out a starter?

RH77

Compaq888 03-29-2006 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77
Quote:

And by the way, how hard is it to change out a starter?

RH77

ROFL, I'd seriously leave the engine off feature for manual guys. Not only are you hurting your auto but your starter too.

Why are you still at 30mpg??? I can do the same if I try, but my car has more displacement and a lot more weight. Try some airdonamic stuff.

rh77 03-30-2006 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
Why are you still at 30mpg??? I can do the same if I try, but my car has more displacement and a lot more weight. Try some airdonamic stuff.

You know, excellent question. I've tried an HAI, hotter 'stat, engine block heater, switching to premium to prevent detonation, less-aggressive driving style, Neutral at lights, engine off coasting, etc. I have a powerful engine hooked to an automatic. The latest experiment is an air restrictor (I reduced the air intake down the size of a quarter and noticed almost nothing -- we'll see when the tank is up). Despite the speed limit, I've limited my top speed to 57 mph, unless I'm running late or get crap from passengers.

Kansas City is spread-out over the area the size of L.A. (less population density, of course), but it takes many highway miles to get anywhere. I guess the next step is to chip the ECU, lower the vehicle, and I'm going to have to get new tires soon (out of necessity). The tire purchase will be based purely on economy, but otherwise, the car's drag coefficient is pretty good, but I may block the air dam. It's also windy here a lot.

Bottom line -- no clue as to why I've hit the 30 mpg wall. My best tank was 100% highway at 57 mph -- 48 mpg. I know it's possible. Most Honda drivers here have the efficient D-Series engine designed for low-power, high-economy. I have the B-series which is renowned for high-horsepower, moderate economy. Tricking it otherwise is a tough job.

RH77

Compaq888 03-30-2006 09:55 AM

I find it that with the

I find it that with the stock intake the car gets better mpg. Did you try to play around with your timing??? That affects a lot.

basjoos 03-30-2006 03:39 PM

As soon as we get into that

As soon as we get into that good humid southern summer weather, on one of my days off I will need to take a day trip entirely on lightly traveled rural SC roads and I should be able to blow away any of the tank mileages I have posted so far. My normal tanks include a daily steep drive (35mph in 3rd gear, engine braking all of the way down) up into the NC mountains and lots of night driving (i.e. low temperature, lights on), both of which help to depress mileage.

krousdb 03-30-2006 04:11 PM

I want my CX tranny! I am

I want my CX tranny!

I am jealous. :(

SVOboy 03-30-2006 04:42 PM

You're starting to kill me,

You're starting to kill me, dan. I will try to get it soon, I swear, the guy hasn't returned my call yet though.

Anyway, I can't pm so, so I saved my thoughts into word. Basically, mx-5 12 pound 14x5.5 wheels for 200 and I'm unsure but will check about the ecu.

krousdb 03-30-2006 05:02 PM

Re: You're starting to kill me,

Quote:

You're starting to kill me, dan. I will try to get it soon, I swear, the guy hasn't returned my call yet though.

Anyway, I can't pm so, so I saved my thoughts into word. Basically, mx-5 12 pound 14x5.5 wheels for 200 and I'm unsure but will check about the ecu.

No problem about the tranny SVO. Just jealous of basjoos. The tranny alone wont get me to his level.

Are you saying you found me some HX wheels for $200?

What wrong with the PM?

SVOboy 03-30-2006 05:04 PM

They're not HX, they're

They're not HX, they're mazda mx-5, google image them I guess. The pm just hates me I guess.

EDIT: Anyway, on topic. I feel like I'll do well this tank even though it didn't get full for whatev reason, so I'll be screwed for mileage. I would assume a full tank would add between 70 and 80 miles based on the trend I'm seeing now. Hoping to break the 50mpg barrier on a full tank before I go manual tranny.

XFi 03-31-2006 01:05 PM

12lb. rims?

Did you say 12lbs for a 14x5.5 rim...thats light! My 12x4 rims weigh in at 10. 12lbs is not bad at all for that big of a rim...notice how 'big' is a relative term. :)

SVOboy 03-31-2006 01:47 PM

My new 13x5 (I think 5),

My new 13x5 (I think 5), weigh 9, woot.

basjoos 03-31-2006 04:29 PM

krousdb, if you haven't

krousdb, if you haven't already done so, you might consider disconnecting your power steering. The CX doesn't have power steering and doesn't need it, especially with 50+ psi in the tires. I wonder how many MPG the power steering pump is removing from your potential mileage?

krousdb 03-31-2006 04:38 PM

Re: krousdb, if you haven't

Quote:

Originally Posted by basjoos
krousdb, if you haven't already done so, you might consider disconnecting your power steering. The CX doesn't have power steering and doesn't need it, especially with 50+ psi in the tires. I wonder how many MPG the power steering pump is removing from your potential mileage?

Well I'm quite sure that there will be no change in FE as I don't have power steering on my car. I do have AC but I don't use it. Just this evening I began installing my belly pan. Hopefully that will help a bit. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

SVOboy 03-31-2006 04:59 PM

What happened to your power

What happened to your power steering? Did you know it was a dealer option much like a passenger side mirror? Some crazy **** was options, I loved honda.

krousdb 04-01-2006 03:25 AM

Re: What happened to your power

Quote:

What happened to your power steering? Did you know it was a dealer option much like a passenger side mirror? Some crazy **** was options, I loved honda.

It did not come with power steering. The Si models had it. I have the S.

SVOboy 04-01-2006 08:27 AM

Well, according to my

Well, according to my sources power steering was standard for no one, just generally added. It sucks anyway.

Matt Timion 04-01-2006 10:21 AM

Re: What happened to your power

Quote:

Quote:

It did not come with power steering. The Si models had it. I have the S.

BTW, I drove a 92 Del Sol Si last night for the first time. I LOVED IT! What a fun car to drive.

Oh, and the power steering rocks. My car has it, and so does the Si I drove last night. LOVE IT!