Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   what will the scangauge fit? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/what-will-the-scangauge-fit-1829.html)

GasSavers_Ryland 03-24-2006 11:51 PM

what will the scangauge fit?

This might be a dumb question, but it sounds like a few people with Del sols are useing a scan gauge to check MPG, I have a 1992 civic vx... scan gauge web site said most cars 1996 and newer will work with it, and a few that are older... is mine one that is older, and if not, what ones are out there that will work with it? is there anything like this that will fit my car or do I need to simply rig up a vaccum gauge?

Matt Timion 03-25-2006 01:42 AM

ACtually the scan gauge

ACtually the scan gauge won't work on the Del Sol. krousdb is using the SuperMID M-1 MPG computer, which is what you will want to use as well.

Your car is obd1, as are all honda cars before 1996. Scangauge will work on any 1996+ car as they are all obd2.

The SuperMID M1 computer is made by a member of our board named Yoshi. I'm unsure of the availability of them, or the turnaround time, but it's still available.

There has been talk of other electronically minded people on this website making their own MPG computers, but nothing much has materialized in a while.

krousdb 03-25-2006 04:09 AM

I haven't communicated with

I haven't communicated with Yoshi lately but I can send him an email if someone is interested in the SuperMID. I think the cost will be $160 shipped so it is more expensive than the scangauge. It also is a little bit more complicated to install but not too bad. You need to supply 12V and a ground for power as well as an injector signal and speed signal. Those are easy to track down if you have a Manual. Actually I have a 92-95 civic manual so I could tell where to find the wires. You just clamp on to the wires with provided splice clamps and you are up and running. The last thing to do is to calibrate by changing the fuel and distance parameters.

There are two things that you might not be happy with though. First, it reads FE in km/L. Just multiply by 2.35 to get MPG. The second is a problem that I found in the programming and that was confirmed by Yoshi. The instantaneous reading is not tied to the fuel parameter, it uses a constant instead that approximates the Prius fuel parameter. So the instantaneous reading is about 25% high, but the average is dead on. I can live with it because I just set targets and shoot for them.

rh77 03-25-2006 06:08 AM

SG or No?

I'm glad a ScanGauge thread was started - someone beat me to it this morning. I'm considering converting the Integra to OBD-I (maybe) and have the ECU modified for FE, so I would only be able to use it on the TL, any newer car we buy, or for my rental analysis thread (because I rented a Chevy Aveo this week and calculated 14.3 MPG - which absolutely can't be right).

- (near topic) Is this conversion going to yield an appreciable amount of FE?
- I hear the ScanGauge takes some time to "get used to" different vehicles, and may not have enough time to learn if I switch between many different rental cars - True/False?
- I've been wanting one for months, kinda saving up for it (no answer required, just thought I'd throw that in).

RH77

SVOboy 03-25-2006 06:49 AM

Quote:ACtually the scan

Quote:

ACtually the scan gauge won't work on the Del Sol.
ACTually, there were del sols made in 96 and 97 with obd2 that it would work on, just so you KNow. :p

GasSavers_Ryland 03-26-2006 08:14 AM

any idea if scangauge will

any idea if scangauge will work on a 2004 volkswagan TDI diesel golf? I have a friend who has one, and who would like to boost their mileage as well.

SVOboy 03-26-2006 08:16 AM

It should. I don't see why

It should. I don't see why not.

MetroMPG 03-26-2006 08:21 AM

Re: SG or No?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77
- I hear the ScanGauge takes some time to "get used to" different vehicles, and may not have enough time to learn if I switch between many different rental cars - True/False?

there's no mention of that in the SG manual (available at https://scangauge.com in pdf format), so i would say false.

the only vehicle-specific settings that i'm aware of: you can enter the engine displacement in liters, and select different "fuel" modes (gas, hybrid, diesel) these permit the unit to make more accurate calculations, but it *will* work immediately if you jump between different vehicles, as i have done with mine.

SVOboy 03-26-2006 08:22 AM

Do you not have to calibrate

Do you not have to calibrate it to get it correct, though? I remember jangeo going through this process for a while.

diamondlarry 03-26-2006 09:04 AM

The only calibration may be

The only calibration may be the engine size and the speed. If you have over/under sized tires you can correct the mph reading on the SG.