Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Indexing & Side Gapping Spark Plugs (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/indexing-and-side-gapping-spark-plugs-1830.html)

krousdb 03-27-2006 04:17 PM

Re: Woot, send the directions

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Woot, send the directions too or I'll get confused, :p, but they're prolly on this site like 3 times so yeah.

And if you have any spares left after your indexing, please send them to me!

Now what plugs do you recommend? NGK copper?

SVOboy 03-27-2006 04:25 PM

Quote:And if you have any

Quote:

And if you have any spares left after your indexing, please send them to me!
Yeah, I was planning on playing pass them along.

Quote:

Now what plugs do you recommend? NGK copper?
NGK V-power (always copper)

JanGeo 03-27-2006 06:18 PM

indexing

That's weird I heard and always pointed the gap towards the intake valve but I guess you have several in a Honda. The idea is to ignite the coldest part of the cylinder to get the flame front moving there and the hotter spots will ignite easier by themselves. Also you get better cooling of the spark plug when the fresh charge comes in if the outer electrode is not blocking the intake air mixture flow from reaching the center electrode.

SVOboy 03-30-2006 08:53 PM

As XFi knows, I got my

As XFi knows, I got my indexing washers, thanks to him. Today I bought wheel paint and also plugs.

My autozone had no NGK V-Power (no NGK at all), so I got Denso U-Groove, basically the same thing. Their idea it to make the spark propogate better by living in the grove a bit.

Time to get to work!

dieselmech 03-31-2006 06:19 AM

You point the open part of

You point the open part of the plug (gap) towards the exh valve because in 90% of modern engines this is where the quench area is. Forget lighting the "cold" side of the chamber. I own both a large diesels shop a race engine/dyno business. The only exception to this rule I have found on the dyno (or track) is in Hemi engines. There are two reasons, one being there is no quench chamber per se in a Hemi (centre of piston if you must call one)and high tumble chambers. Not to be confused with high swirl chambers. And to go along with high tumble I suppose you would have to include small chamber engines with more than 18-20 degrees of valve inclination. (which washes walls and has stagnant fuel suspension)
Yes indexing plugs works, but each engine will notice varied results from 1) original plug orientation 2)engine efficiency 3)method of testing
In dragracing, a Stock or SuperStock class car will notice the .03 reduction in ET where as 90% of people wouldn't notice with street cars.
The increase in performance/efficiency is there, the question is your testing methodology.

SVOboy 03-31-2006 08:18 AM

Quote:1) original plug

Quote:

1) original plug orientation
The Acura NSX is/was stock indexed, you have to buy a specific honda plug for each hole, y0.

krousdb 04-01-2006 03:48 AM

OK, indeex the plugs so the

OK, indeex the plugs so the open end points toward the exhaust side. A few more Q's. The manual says .039 - .043 gap. I want more torque at low RPM. Shold I gap to the high end or the low end. And finally, whats with the plug wires. Mine appear to be OEM although I cant tell if they are original or not. Should I change, what to?

SVOboy 04-01-2006 08:30 AM

Quote:The manual says .039 -

Quote:

The manual says .039 - .043 gap. I want more torque at low RPM. Shold I gap to the high end or the low end
I'd like to know.

Quote:

Mine appear to be OEM although I cant tell if they are original or not. Should I change, what to?
I have seen dyno sheets on a honda which compare many many wires and MSD won by a few hp on a ~300hp engine.

n0rt0npr0 04-01-2006 06:56 PM

possible suspect = msd

MSD has some low quality goals if you ask me. They actually do not aspire to best a 1% failure rate!! :o
And they DO NOT stand behind any warranty they may give you from what I hear from the guys I ran into at milan dragway.
Notice they advertise and sponser a lot...They prolly do it to force feed new attention to their product line. They def have a bad rep at the track here.

Magnecor will stand behind their wires, and I bet they will last you the life of your vehicle ;)

SVOboy 04-01-2006 07:00 PM

I'll try and find this dyno

I'll try and find this dyno comparison one day, it's funny how **** hides from you.