Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Indexing & Side Gapping Spark Plugs (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/indexing-and-side-gapping-spark-plugs-1830.html)

n0rt0npr0 04-01-2006 07:59 PM

If they get the MSD and they happen to be that 1 in 100, they arn't going to appreciate that dyno very much. The MSD is going to cost prolly $60, the Magnecor will cost $80 and last the life of the vehicle.

krousdb 04-02-2006 04:57 AM

I bought a new set of NGK

I bought a new set of NGK V-power plugs and side gapped them, not the rounded electrode approach but the flat electrode cut back further. I gapped them to 0.030.

Anyway I when I pulled out the existing plugs, duh, they are also NGK V-power, apparently quite new from the look of them. Oh well, I gues I have a spare set.

As far as indexing goes, none of the 4 point at the exhaust. Assuming that intake is at 0 degrees and exhaust is at 180 degrees, mine are at 210, 90, 135, 270.

After installation and startup, the engine idled rough, missing every 1/2 second or so, rpms fluctuation. Then it occurred to me that the SVO ecu had the ECT and IAT compensation lowered significantly for cold starts. After swapping to the stock ecu, the idle was fine. I guess I never noticed this before because I never let my car idle, it is either under load or off. I swapped back to the SVO ecu. I think it is worth about 1 MPG.

SVOboy 04-02-2006 07:49 AM

You'll get your indexing

You'll get your indexing washers on wednesday I think. Also, I would agree on the cold start ****. I have no idle rpm compensation at cold start because of my dead IACV and it runs like hell.

n0rt0npr0 04-03-2006 10:16 AM

°

Talked to Thomson Automotive this morning. Turns out all newer V6's DO NOT benefit from indexing. For example on a GM motor that means 1994 and up. It's generally 96 and up. The heads on the GenIII's are all high tumble chambered and high valve inclination.

Of course non-wedge engines are a different story.

zpiloto 04-03-2006 07:48 PM

I'm on the band wagon. I've

I'm on the band wagon. I've side gapped at .035 and indexed my plugs. The beauty of it was I didn't need the washers just swapped plug around and they came out where I needed them. When I put new plugs in I usually reset the ECU but since I did that about a 600 miles ago I did not mess with it. Did anyone else reset their ECU after gapping and indexing?

Compaq888 04-03-2006 08:10 PM

If you're looking for good

If you're looking for good spark plug wires just get NGK. They got a pair for every car.

I got NGK and they are top quality. $40.

MSD stuff is nice but you don't need it because you're not making rediculous amounts of power. Lots of 300whp cars have NGK spark plug wires and they don't complain. You don't even have 100whp, just get the NGK, they are still better than the stock wires you got now!

thisisntjared 04-03-2006 08:37 PM

Re: If you're looking for good

how do you guys delete double posts on this site?

thisisntjared 04-03-2006 08:38 PM

Re: If you're looking for good

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
If you're looking for good spark plug wires just get NGK. They got a pair for every car.

I got NGK and they are top quality. $40.

i agree. ive seen all sorts of tests advocating different wires from different companies and crap. ngk was the most affordable name brand. i have yet to see another factory d16z6 get better mpg or pull harder than mine with different wires.

SVOboy 04-03-2006 08:48 PM

No deleting double posts,

No deleting double posts, just live with it. NGK, I should get new ones sometime.

Compaq888 04-03-2006 09:09 PM

Every little thing will make

Every little thing will make a big outcome, but don't get crap. If you're going to do o2 sensors then get NGK or something like it. If you're going to do wires get NGK. If you're going to do fuel filter get one that was made for your car, not some crap at autozone.

I only buy nissan parts and if nissan sells a different brand then I look for a better brand.

Getting crap for your car will only make it worse for you.