Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   AC and Power steering on FE (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/ac-and-power-steering-on-fe-1831.html)

zpiloto 03-25-2006 09:48 AM

AC and Power steering on FE

Wanted to see how much FE was lost due to AC and power steering. Removed the belts and went on a 35 mile test run. Results below. The beginning temperature was 50 and ending temp was 60.
Since my wife(who is tiny) drives this car sometimes I don't think she could handle the extra effort required at very slow speeds to turn even though I had no problem with it.
I also want to see how much lost occurs just due to the AC belt but due to time constraints I didn't have time to test that today.

First run : Normal set up
Gal used .9
Avg MPG 37.0
Avg MPH 34

Second run: With removed belt
Gal used .8
Avg MPG 40.2
Avg MPH 36

I was surprised with the results I was only expecting a 3% increase. With the power steering belt replaced it might fall down to that range. Will any damage result from driving with out the Power Steering? There is a noticeable increase in acceleration with out it.

SVOboy 03-25-2006 09:50 AM

So, this is for both ac and

So, this is for both ac and ps disabled? I kinda wonder a chart between ac and windows down fuel economy based on differing speeds, was gonna suggest it in a while.

zpiloto 03-25-2006 11:35 AM

Yes both AC and PS disabled.

Yes both AC and PS disabled. I went to see about a belt for just the PS but the auto parts store didn't have one. I'll run it like this for awhile until what I call the "Texas summer blend" hits here in a month or so then I'll hook up the AC and watch the FE drop.

JanGeo 03-25-2006 02:17 PM

PS

Wow that is substantial - the AC pulley should spin pretty freely if the AC is off - check it and see - didn't think the PS was going to make that big a difference. Do you have variable assist?? I notice that my idle only drops about 20rpm when I work the steering back and forth at crawling speeds in neutral and I have variable assist that is speed sensitive - not sure how they/it determines speed however. Scion xB 2006. Might be interesting to run the PS with an electric motor and see how much power it takes. The minicooper uses an electric motor to run the PS.

SVOboy 03-25-2006 02:26 PM

My mom's (1993 camry) power

My mom's (1993 camry) power steering will slap it up from 750 to 1000 when I spin the wheel around, it's so sad, :'(

zpiloto 03-25-2006 02:49 PM

AC pully spin freely

The AC pulley spins freely. Don't think it's power assisted never noticed any increase in RPM as you describe. The 626 a heavy car 3964 lbs. with a 2.0L. I guess a little bit helps alot. I was suprised at the increase also.

SVOboy 03-25-2006 02:52 PM

3964 pounds? Are you

3964 pounds? Are you kidding!?!?!

That's insane!

rh77 03-25-2006 03:08 PM

Re: 3964 pounds? Are you

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
3964 pounds? Are you kidding!?!?!

That's insane!

It's that "Swing" mechanism that moves the air vents, I knew it!

Seriously, could you install a clutch mechanism on the PS pulley, like the A/C, so you could engage it when you need it -- like parallel parking or when the wife drives it, for example?

RH77

philmcneal 03-25-2006 03:14 PM

you must have strong arms.

you must have strong arms. This camry 91 I have, it took all my stregth just to FAS into a parking stall. But you seem to do it all the time!!

Although the increases are interesting... does this mean less wear and tear too? HMMMMMMMMMMMM

philmcneal 03-25-2006 03:15 PM

wow!

damn double posts... i should have been more patience.