Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Hypermiling experience with Fiat's 875cc "Twinair" engine? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/hypermiling-experience-with-fiats-875cc-twinair-engine-18529.html)

arrow76 04-04-2016 11:15 AM

Hypermiling experience with Fiat's 875cc "Twinair" engine?

Does anybody here have hypermiling experience with Fiat's 875cc "Twinair" engine, either with the 500 or the Panda? For my next car I'm considering changing from a 2.0 Diesel 4x4 Fiat Sedeci to a natural gas (CNG) powered Fiat Panda with the Twinair motor. However, there seems to be a lot of criticism that the Twinair consumes a lot more than it offcially should. On paper it should consume approx. 4.2 L/100 km. On Fuelly the averages vary from 6 to over 7 L/100km! I've also read criticism in the press.
On the other hand I could imagine that the little two-pot would react well to hypermiling techniques such as quick up-shifting, gentle driving, keeping well within the speed limit, etc. Any experiences??

Draigflag 04-04-2016 12:38 PM

Manufacturers are trying to match diesel economy by making petrol powered engines smaller. This is wrong, even with equal amounts of power, just the way this power is delivered and the nature of the two cylinder engine, they struggle to get decent fuel economy. You spend too much time trying to maintain power that economy is sacrificed, the little engine has to work harder than a larger diesel, or petrol for that matter.

I drove a Fiat with this engine, it was fun and characterful, but felt like it was struggling constantly. Ford's ecoboost, kia's 1.0 turbo and Renaults 0.9 tce all suffer from the same issue, poor economy. That's my opinion anyway, take a look at the other cars on here with smaller engines.

Draigflag 04-04-2016 12:51 PM

I should add that sometimes these tiny engines actually get better economy around town, similar to a hybrid, as they are more at home with low revs and low speeds.

arrow76 04-05-2016 10:35 AM

Thanks for you response! Reckon I need to do a longer test drive to see what the on-board computer says re the consumption.
Re Ford Ecoboost, I drove a Focus Ecoboost rental car for about a week a few years ago and I was impressed with it. As far as I remember I was getting around 60 MPG(UK) on various types of roads without using any special driving techniques. That was before I'd even heard of "hypermiling"!

benlovesgoddess 04-05-2016 12:08 PM

Hi Arrow, just watch out for those on board computer mpg estimates. The Hyundai i20 I just (happily!) swapped would often proudly claim low 70s on the screen, but filling brim to brim mid 50s were the reality. I hear not all cars are as poorly calibrated as Hyundais (our Honda is rarely more than 2-3 mpg out), but it has made me pretty dubious of them!
Seems I'm haunted by that bloody i20 - there it is in my signature, despite being retired from my garage...

Draigflag 04-05-2016 01:19 PM

The Fiat on board computer is quite accurate, about 2-3 Mpg optimistic. I would drive a twinair on an extended test drive if possible, it's a bizarre engine, like driving a moped but in a car, with the correct techniques I'm sure it could prove very fuel efficient, but in general, you'd be better off with the 90 hp Multijet diesel engine, it's rated over 90 MPG in the NEDC so should give good results as small diesels often do with hypermiling techniques.

benlovesgoddess 04-05-2016 01:51 PM

Much as I like the look of 500s, I wouldnt trust a Fiat! The missus had a nightmare Punto, I remember someone else getting a nearly new Uno and it rusting away on the drive, immobile. A lass at work has replaced a Mini with a Twin Air 500 and speaks glowingly of it - just by the feel of it she thinks it is almost twice as efficient as the Mini.

benlovesgoddess 04-05-2016 02:00 PM

Another lass at work has switched from driving a petrol Fiesta S to a diesel Vauxhall Mokka (a bigger, heavier and less aerodynamic vehicle) and again is amazed how much less money it takes to use. Sadly everyone I know doesn't bother to work out real mpg, so all my economy anecdotes from work will be very vague!

benlovesgoddess 04-07-2016 09:17 PM

The same lass had her heart set on the 500X, been talking about getting one for months. When she actually drove one, she couldn't stand it, she was gutted!

arrow76 04-08-2016 03:31 AM

Thanks for the tips. My current Fiat shows an average about 2 - 3 MPG worse than when I measure myself between fill-ups.
I see your signature has now updated to a new Prius. I like the look of the 4th Gen. I'm wondering what sort of MPG you'll get with it.