Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Diesels (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   The new Ford diesel (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f12/the-new-ford-diesel-18582.html)

LDB 04-29-2016 02:10 PM

The new Ford diesel

Ford apparently has a winner on the horizon.

Ford Reveals New EcoBlue Diesel Engine, Touts it as Game-Changing

Draigflag 04-29-2016 02:45 PM

Commercial only? Sounds like they are focusing more on N0x reduction, which is good considering commercial vehicles are responsible for the majority of pollution, and usually noise levels. Never really considered noise levels to be important in a commercial vehicle. Only a 10% reduction in C02 equates to a 10% increase in fuel economy, but some of the newer vans are already very efficient. Check out this guy, he's averaged almost 50 UK MPG over 18,000 miles, with a best of almost 60 UK MPG, not bad for a commercial van!

Transit Courier (Ford Transit) | Fuelly

rfruth 04-29-2016 04:12 PM

Ford press release sez "to power future Ford passenger and commercial vehicles" so all you oil burner fans are in luck ;)

Draigflag 04-29-2016 11:49 PM

Diesel will play a very important part in the future of C02 targets. It has in Europe for a decade or two, and now it sounds like the US is starting to take emissions more seriously too.

rfruth 04-30-2016 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You won't see a diesel doing this

Attachment 2105

Draigflag 04-30-2016 10:43 AM

Still probably greener than burning coal though ;)

Airstreamer67 05-07-2016 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 188421)
Diesel will play a very important part in the future of C02 targets. It has in Europe for a decade or two, and now it sounds like the US is starting to take emissions more seriously too.

I'd say the US takes emissions pretty seriously. Ask Volkswagon and Audi about their vaunted "clean diesels" after the US' EPA got a grip on them.

Draig, you are really hung up on pointing a finger at the US and what you conside its failures, aren't you. At least you are consistent and insistent, and usually wrong.

By the way, has London cleaned up its diesel-sourced smog yet?

2004LB7 05-07-2016 12:39 PM

In the US. The emissions laws are geared more for reducing nox and allows for more co2 & co. In Europe, it is mostly the other way around. Since diesel commonly produce more nox and less co2 & co then there gas counterparts it makes it harder in the US the meet the emmissions standards. But in Europe, it is easier for diesel.

As for taking emissions seriously, that is debatable as the "science" differs on which one is more important depending on who is paying for the research.

Since we know that co is poisonous to us and other animals. The nox takes more time and quantity to have an ill effect. I would say diesel is better for the environment then gas. Because of this i think Europe wins.

Draigflag 05-08-2016 12:17 AM

Yes I was referring to C02, as the US is the second biggest polluter on the planet, even trumping Russia 3 times over, with shocking water pollution levels and many endangered species too. Even the N0X emissions are off the scale. But hey if you makes you feel better to deflect blame to a tiny city in a tiny country in England, then go ahead lol.

LDB 05-08-2016 04:20 PM

Hey, we're working on it. We're putting up wind farms hither and yon to kill as many raptors and migrators as possible, oh, and yeah, it'll produce a speck of power that won't amount to anything in the grand scheme of things but it will allow the likes of Gore, Obama etc. to make all sorts of wild claims and siphon off all sorts of funds.

Draigflag 05-08-2016 11:08 PM

I don't want you guys to feel offended, non of it is the fault of the people, it's 100% down to the poor decision making of the Government, and the greed of private energy companies. It's the same story all over the globe, profits and taxes before human lives and the environment.

rfruth 05-09-2016 05:36 AM

Ah yes the government knows what is best -New federal rule would permit thousands of eagle deaths - San Antonio Express-News

trollbait 05-09-2016 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2004LB7 (Post 188537)
In the US. The emissions laws are geared more for reducing nox and allows for more co2 & co. In Europe, it is mostly the other way around. Since diesel commonly produce more nox and less co2 & co then there gas counterparts it makes it harder in the US the meet the emmissions standards. But in Europe, it is easier for diesel.

As for taking emissions seriously, that is debatable as the "science" differs on which one is more important depending on who is paying for the research.

Since we know that co is poisonous to us and other animals. The nox takes more time and quantity to have an ill effect. I would say diesel is better for the environment then gas. Because of this i think Europe wins.

As long as those animals aren't in an enclosed garage with a running car, they'll be fine.;)

NOx is a precursor for smog, which causes negative health and quality of life impacts for large populations. The chemistry of smog production can get complicated. In some US cities the main cause are VOCs, and more NOx might reduce the smog levels.

Trucking is a big source for NOx. In 2018, IIRC, the glider loophole will be closed. Currently, the emission certifications of a large commercial truck are linked to the engine alone. So trucking companies would buy a new glider, the truck sans engine and transmission, and just install an older, rebuilt engine, that doesn't meet current emission regs. When the loop hole is closed, the emission certs will be tied to the glider.

So the US is addressing its pollution, perhaps not at a rate some like, but it is.

CO2 emission from cars is purely a function of fuel type and economy. Diesel emits more per gallon than gasoline, but makes up for some of that by being more efficient. The higher CAFE targets will reduce the CO2 emissions here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDB (Post 188546)
Hey, we're working on it. We're putting up wind farms hither and yon to kill as many raptors and migrators as possible, oh, and yeah, it'll produce a speck of power that won't amount to anything in the grand scheme of things but it will allow the likes of Gore, Obama etc. to make all sorts of wild claims and siphon off all sorts of funds.

Texas' power grid had 9% wind power back in 2014. It has and is growing. A windy 17 hours had the wind farms powering 40% of the state.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_Texas
Texas Sets New All-Time Wind Energy Record - Scientific American Blog Network

The bird kill was an issue of older wind farms. The wind mill blades spun faster, and the farms were sited without knowledge of migratory paths. We now know better, and new designs and sites take this into account. Birds will still die, but at lower rates, and new wind mills won't reduce the number of raptors getting fried on power poles. If they replace coal, they'll reduce the amount of mercury fish eating birds and people are exposed too.

Redneckrich 07-03-2016 08:55 PM

Damn right you won't! I'm glad I don't have to worry about charging my truck, I love the smell of diesel in the morning!

Redneckrich 07-03-2016 08:58 PM

It's ok bud, at least I can run my truck off of biodiesel, regular diesel, farm diesel, JP8, JP5, Jet fuel 1, and Jet fuel 1A. The only new ford engine I'll get is the 7.3 twin turbo, or maybe a cat, just so I can roll even more lol

Redneckrich 07-03-2016 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 188421)

There only 2 states that do emissions tests, Comifornia and Colorado. All I gota do is remove my chip in Colorado and I pass :whistling:

Matt715 07-12-2016 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneckrich (Post 189463)
There only 2 states that do emissions tests, Comifornia and Colorado. All I gota do is remove my chip in Colorado and I pass :whistling:

That's not even remotely correct. See here.

Redneckrich 07-13-2016 08:11 AM

I didn't know those states did emission tests, I know for Colorado, I pass every time I remove my SCT toner/scanner

rfruth 07-13-2016 04:30 PM

Not only does Texas do emissions testing but they can tell if a Ford diesel has been 'chipped' even if the factory chip is reinstalled (something about monitoring torque & HP curves) anyway be careful out there big brother may be watching :eek:

rfortson 09-13-2016 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfruth (Post 189731)
Not only does Texas do emissions testing but they can tell if a Ford diesel has been 'chipped' even if the factory chip is reinstalled (something about monitoring torque & HP curves) anyway be careful out there big brother may be watching :eek:

My VW TDI was never tested for emissions, AFAIK. Of course, the VW software was pretty smart, so maybe it was tested and passed. :)

tommypress 09-28-2016 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDB (Post 188546)

Glad to know all this. Thanks

SteveMak 09-28-2016 09:13 AM

My frustration with this whole VW Dieselgate scandal is that the controlled media conversation focuses solely on the VW cheat device. All the talking head clips from Washington, with their self-congratulatory assertions that they're "cleaning up the air" and "taking dirty cars off the streets" follow suit. Meanwhile, independent tests (many done by UK government agencies) have found that real-world tailpipe emissions for virtually all vehicles tested (multi-brand, multi-model, diesel and gasoline/petrol propulsion alike), emit many multiples of lab-legal levels of pollutants. That information quickly disappears as the conversation is redirected to the VW cheat device at the root of Dieselgate. That's the story The Common Man keeps hearing, to which they are "tuned". That's the mindset that The Masses adopt. It's as though The Masses have been programmed to believe all that matters is passing the in-lab-only emission test without cheating (which VW didn't), and that actual, real-world emissions are inconsequential.

Disclosure: I'm driving my first diesel, an Audi Q5 3.0 TDI purchased in May 2015. I love the fuel economy, lower fuel price, and massive torque. I just wish ALL vehicles were measured by genuine tailpipe emissions under real conditions by an unbiased, independent agency, so we could get a true understanding of their actual effect on our environment and those who live in it. I don't like being bamboozled by manufacturers, and manipulated by the media.

Draigflag 09-28-2016 12:30 PM

Steve that's just the way mainstream media operates, take a story, exaggerate it, over dramatize it, take it out of context, report the negative facts only and feed it to the gullable masses.

Without getting too political, exactly the same thing has happened with so called "terrorism" and now some people actually believe "terrorism" is a threat in the US, despite the fact that toddlers with handguns, lightning, lawnmowers, being hit by a bus even falling out of bed kill more Americans than Terrorists do in a year...

SteveMak 09-28-2016 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 191396)
Steve that's just the way mainstream media operates, take a story, exaggerate it, over dramatize it, take it out of context, report the negative facts only and feed it to the gullible masses.

Without getting too political, exactly the same thing has happened with so called "terrorism" and now some people actually believe "terrorism" is a threat in the US, despite the fact that toddlers with handguns, lightning, lawnmowers, being hit by a bus even falling out of bed kill more Americans than Terrorists do in a year...

I completely agree with you. Just to add to your example of the US being gripped by the fear of "the terrorist threat", the number of Americans killed worldwide over the past decade due to actual or alleged "terrorist" activity (<100) is approximately equal to 3 days' worth of firearm deaths on American soil, at the hands of fellow Americans. Those are the hard facts, and yet the US media and the US people embrace the message and the fear of "the terrorist threat," while firearms remain "the American way of life."

I now return you to this thread, and cease my hijack.