Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   What browser do you use? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/what-browser-do-you-use-1859.html)

Matt Timion 03-30-2006 09:13 AM

What browser do you use?

I use firefox exclusively, but when I make an update to the website I check it in IE as well. I'm surprised how different the site looks between the two browsers.

They're very similar, but some little things are different. I don't know why, it's just how it is.

Anyway, I'm just curious to know what the users of GasSavers use, and if you havn't tried firefox yet, maybe it's time to give it a try...

<script type="text/javascript"><!--
google_ad_client = "pub-4790368784617558";
google_ad_width = 468;
google_ad_height = 60;
google_ad_format = "468x60_as_rimg";
google_cpa_choice = "CAAQ8aaVzgEaCPJg3qtkyXM9KOm293M";
//--></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script>

n0rt0npr0 03-30-2006 09:29 AM

opera

I use Opera. I've had bad luck with Firefox. Once it installed itself in my root directory, then on the desktop. I was like WTF?!?!

A year ago I was not able to go "anywhere" on the net and reliably have pages work. I still have to use IE sometimes...

rh77 03-30-2006 09:36 AM

Stuck with IE 6.0

For work, I'm required to use IE 6.0 at 128-bit encryption, so I'm stuck. I've tried Opera, but it confused the works, so I'm sticking with IE until otherwise directed.

RH77

kickflipjr 03-30-2006 09:41 AM

firefox. I use IE as a

firefox. I use IE as a backup.

I can't live without being able to tab websites on top.

Compaq888 03-30-2006 09:42 AM

for this website IE, but for

for this website IE, but for every other website Firefox. I'm might start usig firefox for this website too, too many ads.

Matt Timion 03-30-2006 09:47 AM

Re: for this website IE, but for

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
for this website IE, but for every other website Firefox. I'm might start usig firefox for this website too, too many ads.

Do you mean pop-up ads? This site doesn't have any pop-up ads associated with it. So if you are getting them it's most likely a result of some sort of spyware on your system.

Compaq888 03-30-2006 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote:

Do you mean pop-up ads? This site doesn't have any pop-up ads associated with it. So if you are getting them it's most likely a result of some sort of spyware on your system.

I don't have any spyware, and If I do it gets deleted. I have firewall, anti-virus, and etc.

I'm talking about the stuff on the left hand side under the news column.

Matt Timion 03-30-2006 09:54 AM

Quote:

I'm currently working on a quick way for regular users to eliminate the ads. It will also help pay for a better server with faster load times.

Compaq888 03-30-2006 09:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm currently working on a quick way for regular users to eliminate the ads. It will also help pay for a better server with faster load times.

cool deal

krousdb 03-30-2006 10:27 AM

IE. EIEIO.

IE. EIEIO.

zpiloto 03-30-2006 10:57 AM

IE EIEIO. Also

IE EIEIO. Also

diamondlarry 03-30-2006 11:01 AM

I just started using Opera

I just started using Opera last weekend. Opera doesn't seem to work to well on this site though. The recent posts don't seem to update themselves until I hit refresh. I've even clicked on a topic that showed a new post and had to refresh inside the thread for the new post to show up. I use IE6 when I'm on this site. Opera seems to be faster everywhere else.

GasSavers_DaX 03-30-2006 11:46 AM

Prodigy or Netscape. Haha,

Prodigy or Netscape. Haha, just kidding. Firefox to the c0re y0!

Matt Timion 03-30-2006 11:56 AM

Re: Prodigy or Netscape. Haha,

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
Prodigy or Netscape. Haha, just kidding. Firefox to the c0re y0!

LOL... Talk about a flashback.

"Yeah... uhm, I use AOL's built in Browser... and I use webcrawler for my search engine too."

Compaq888 03-30-2006 12:00 PM

I hate AOL with passion.

I hate AOL with passion. When I used to have their internet they couldn't resolve problems right away. They had to have their super techs call us a month later. On my aunt's laptop she had AIM and her laptop barely went online. As soon as we removed it, it got fast right away.

The only thing I like about AOL is their AIM, otherwise I hate it.

philmcneal 03-30-2006 12:22 PM

all three browsers

all three browsers (fire,opera,IE) variety is the spice of life.

SVOboy 03-30-2006 04:13 PM

Firefox for no reason

Firefox for no reason really. Just joining the fad.

rh77 03-30-2006 06:15 PM

Baud

I'm using Comp-U-Serve on my Commodore 64 at 2400 baud. It can get a a gassavers page downloaded in about 2-3 hours, or get into the bulletin boards pretty fast!

RH77

Matt Timion 03-30-2006 10:43 PM

Re: Baud

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77
I'm using Comp-U-Serve on my Commodore 64 at 2400 baud. It can get a a gassavers page downloaded in about 2-3 hours, or get into the bulletin boards pretty fast!

RH77

LOL... I used to run a BBS when I lived in Illinois. I believe it ran for about 2 years around 1992-1994. I remember upgrading to a 14.4k modem and being so excited about it. It set me back around $150 back then.

Of course that BBS ran on a 386 DX (no math co-processor!) 16mhz with a 20meg HDD. Of course compared to your Commodore 64 my machine was SCREAMING!

rh77 03-30-2006 11:25 PM

Re: Baud

Quote:

LOL... I used to run a BBS when I lived in Illinois. I believe it ran for about 2 years around 1992-1994. I remember upgrading to a 14.4k modem and being so excited about it. It set me back around $150 back then.

Of course that BBS ran on a 386 DX (no math co-processor!) 16mhz with a 20meg HDD. Of course compared to your Commodore 64 my machine was SCREAMING!

(Hell, might as well make it story hour...)

Tell me about it. I was struggling to print reports for high school on the Commodore "Windows" called "Geos" and saving them on 5.25" floppies and the dot-matrix printer. Then the folks got an IBM 486 SX with Windows 3.11 for Christmas after a few years. Holy crap, I could play graphic-intense games like Flight-Sim and Sim City, and blazing-fast Internet, MS Word (with spell check ?!?), better printing. I was finally in the 90's! My friend's Dad worked for Radio Shack, so they always had the latest computer, dammit (and the best games). But, for 2 months, we had the faster computer, Hahahaha! Of course, they wouldn't have that, so they bought a 486 with a huge 250 MB HDD. Then the Pentium era hit, and I started building my own during college (then started a computer repair and network install biz in '99 -- with my friend that always had the computers) Mistake #1: don't go into biz with friends; #2, if you have a full-time job, and the business is sucessful, something's gotta give or you hire employees -- basically gave up on it and went into medicine (and my friend dropped the ball on his share of working -- hence rule #1). Still friends though, the biz made some extra bux, and good lessons were learned.

My folks hung on to that 486 until 2001 ("but we paid a lot of money for that!") Well, it's a great doorstop now Pops, in response to, "why won't anything run on this???". Yeah, they still don't really get computers. Ugh, the viruses and spyware infestation was disgraceful this last visit. They burnt up an HDD because of a virus. Those kids just aren't careful...

RH77

Compaq888 03-31-2006 01:04 AM

my slowest computer ever was

my slowest computer ever was a 300mhz pentium 2 proc.
It's still in my room just sitting there.

My new computer was custom build, the only thing that was taken from the old one was 54x cd rom drive, floopy, speakers, keyboard, mouse, and printer. The speakers blew, got some new ones, the mouse sucked got a new one. The printer and keyboard are still from original computer, 1998.

The computer I have now should last me 5-6 years easy. The old one was slow but this one is fast, I don't need anything faster.

rh77 03-31-2006 06:52 AM

Slowest Computer

First computer -- 1984. The Commodore VIC 20. 5K bytes of RAM, and if I wanted to save anything, I had to borrow my cousin's cassette tape drive. It hooked right into the TV like my Atari!

RH77

thisisntjared 03-31-2006 10:32 AM

i firmly support firefox i

i firmly support firefox :) i have yet to try opera, but isnt it mildy more heavy when running?

i will support almost anything that isnt affiliated with microsoft.

diamondlarry 03-31-2006 01:10 PM

FIREFOX NEWBIE ALERT! I just

FIREFOX NEWBIE ALERT! I just installed Firefox and I'm looking for a way to import my favorites from Microsloth IE6. Is there an easy way to do that or does it have to be done manually?

Matt Timion 03-31-2006 01:24 PM

Re: FIREFOX NEWBIE ALERT! I just

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondlarry
FIREFOX NEWBIE ALERT! I just installed Firefox and I'm looking for a way to import my favorites from Microsloth IE6. Is there an easy way to do that or does it have to be done manually?

There actually should be a prompt somewhere. I'm surprised it didn't ask you when you installed it. Let me look around and see if I can find an easy way.

Matt Timion 03-31-2006 01:28 PM

Found some good links for

Found some good links for you

https://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_Import_IE_Bookmarks

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial79.html (search for "import")

diamondlarry 03-31-2006 01:33 PM

Re: FIREFOX NEWBIE ALERT! I just

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondlarry

There actually should be a prompt somewhere. I'm surprised it didn't ask you when you installed it. Let me look around and see if I can find an easy way.

I found it. :-) I went looking around and found the "import" button. It's just like my mom always said, "If ya wanna find something ya gotta look!" Come to think of it, my wife says the same thing. ;-)