Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Shut down for my first time today! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/shut-down-for-my-first-time-today-1865.html)

SVOboy 03-31-2006 05:11 PM

Shut down for my first time today!

Wanted to last night, but got scared. In any case, when I started up I had a big puff of smoke so I'm thinking no more shutting down at lights until I fix my IACV. However, it was wonderful, thanks all for inspiring me to be great!

philmcneal 03-31-2006 05:47 PM

lol didn't know you took the

lol didn't know you took the plunge, congrats!

SVOboy 03-31-2006 06:05 PM

With the auto it makes it

With the auto it makes it slightly difficult but I want to try to get into good habits for when I convert to manual. I changed my route to school and have been eliminating erroneous trips and keeping up with the walking everywhere that's in town within a mile and bla blah.

zpiloto 03-31-2006 06:44 PM

Did you shut down and coast

Did you shut down and coast to a stop or just shut your engine off while you waited at the light? I was looking at the scan gauge today while stopped at a light and I was losing 0.1 MPG every 5 seconds on the overal trip MPG. I'm going to look at it a lot closer in the coming days and see if that stay the same. Any one else looked at the rate when stopped?

SVOboy 03-31-2006 06:50 PM

I need to buy a superMID so

I need to buy a superMID so I can see instant FE, but I can't afford it, :p

Anyway, just while I waited. Coasting in off with the autos is a no no, plus the lighta kinda popped right the hell out of no where.

Once I get the IACV fixed I'm turning the idle down a few hundred rpms for the heck of it, just for those times when I am idling.

diamondlarry 03-31-2006 06:58 PM

Re: Did you shut down and coast

Quote:

Originally Posted by zpiloto
Did you shut down and coast to a stop or just shut your engine off while you waited at the light? I was looking at the scan gauge today while stopped at a light and I was losing 0.1 MPG every 5 seconds on the overal trip MPG. I'm going to look at it a lot closer in the coming days and see if that stay the same. Any one else looked at the rate when stopped?

Yes, I've noticed that the "current trip" number goes down when stopped with engine off/key on. Luckily for me my Saturn's accesory position is in between the run and the lock position. Maybe that's another question I can ask the Scanguage people about.

SVOboy 03-31-2006 07:02 PM

I think he meant while

I think he meant while stopped and idling.

GasSavers_Ryland 03-31-2006 09:40 PM

alot of stoplights around

alot of stoplights around here you can just see a little of the other stoplights color, so you can see the cross trafic's light change from green, to yellow, to red, and then your light turns green...
personaly, I like to coast to stop lights, and just keep running because most lights around here change rather quickly.

SVOboy 03-31-2006 09:47 PM

Yeah, I can generally see

Yeah, I can generally see most lights out of the corners, and most lights are also quick, but a few (this one was a turnpike entrance deal) are several minutes long.

krousdb 04-01-2006 03:37 AM

Re: I need to buy a superMID so

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
I need to buy a superMID so I can see instant FE, but I can't afford it, :p

Maybe there is something that we can do about that. :)