Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   First GS meet! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/first-gs-meet-1866.html)

SVOboy 03-31-2006 09:41 PM

First GS meet!

I'm meeting up with thisisntjared tomorrow to get an IACV from him (for free, :p), so I guess that'll be the first meet even though it's small potatoes. Just want to make it official, ;)

rh77 04-01-2006 07:55 AM

Re: First GS meet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
I'm meeting up with thisisntjared tomorrow to get an IACV from him (for free, :p), so I guess that'll be the first meet even though it's small potatoes. Just want to make it official, ;)

Well, who's going to take notes at the meeting? Will they be posted? Man you're going to be busy...

RH77

SVOboy 04-01-2006 08:36 AM

Meh, we're meeting at K-Mart

Meh, we're meeting at K-Mart on 72 if anyone wants to join in.

SVOboy 04-01-2006 08:58 AM

Well, it's not happening

Well, it's not happening today because my dad seems unable to understand he shouldn't drive the car that always breaks down because it will break down. So now I have to go drive the car back from no where because he decided not to drive the car that runs properly.

SVOboy 04-01-2006 11:27 AM

Canceled.

Canceled.

thisisntjared 04-01-2006 02:13 PM

uber crapx0rs

uber crapx0rs

SVOboy 04-01-2006 02:40 PM

Meh, I'll find something you

Meh, I'll find something you have that I need someday. You could always just install my tranny for me cuz I'm lazy.

rh77 04-01-2006 02:54 PM

Dammit!

I checked gassvers while in Indianapolis and it's cancelled? Dammit! Now I'm going to have to turn around. I wouldn't have had any money to get back across the bridge in Camden anyways...

RH77

SVOboy 04-01-2006 02:57 PM

Haha, you're nuts. We need

Haha, you're nuts. We need to figure out a time frame for the pittsburg crap though at least.

krousdb 04-01-2006 03:21 PM

Re: Haha, you're nuts. We need

Quote:

Haha, you're nuts. We need to figure out a time frame for the pittsburg crap though at least.

Yay! Pittsburgh meetup!

SVOboy 04-01-2006 03:26 PM

Ya rly, you figure something

Ya rly, you figure something out dan, it's your house and ****.

XFi 04-01-2006 03:30 PM

Coroplast

May have to drive to Pittsburg just to score some Coroplast :)

krousdb 04-01-2006 03:46 PM

Re: Ya rly, you figure something

Quote:

Ya rly, you figure something out dan, it's your house and ****.

OK, here is the plan....

First, SVO snags the CX tranny (and anything else from the CX that he doesn't need).

Second, SVO drives the CX stuff to the Pittsburgh meet. All others are welcome too. I can try to score more cloroplast here if anybody wants some.

Third, SVO helps me install the CX tranny while the others watch and learn from the master (SVO, not me). Of course we can do other mods on whomevers car at the same time.

Fourth, while SVO is installing the tranny, I will be installing his brand spanking new SuperMID (waiting to hear from Yoshi on availability)

Fifth, possibly everyone could do a few FE runs on the marathon course. Bring your scanguages!

This could take all weekend if need be. I have a spare bedroom and a furnished basement and a furnished sunroom that both have comfy couches.

As for timing, we will need SVO to have the tranny and I need to have the new SuperMID. I should know next week about when the SuperMID will be here. I assume he will make me another, keeping fingers crossed. :)

SVOboy 04-01-2006 03:54 PM

Well, I will call the CX guy

Well, I will call the CX guy tomorrow, if you want, I can get the whole damn engine, I was planning on taking it apart so I could get it in the crx though (just taking the head and tranny off, not total disassembly. I kinda wanna rebuild the block for use with a vx head and all **** **** to get myself a spiffy new engine, but we'll see.

I figure I will get enough mileage running in during the 7 hours of driving each way. It's further than Darmouth! (I will be attending it next year, WTF!)

krousdb 04-01-2006 04:03 PM

COngrats on Dartmouth! Ivy

COngrats on Dartmouth! Ivy league right? Hope you got a full pass for your parents sake. :)

No I don't want the block. You take what you want and let me know what is left over. Im hoping the tranny will get me where i want to be which is close to 70 MPG. If not, maybe the CX head, IM/TB. First I want the taller gearing.

SVOboy 04-01-2006 04:05 PM

Thanks, dartmouth is ivy

Thanks, dartmouth is ivy indeed. I'm getting what I deserve for financial aid, my mom has saved well so all will be fine on that front.

Anyway, we all want taller gearing, but when you consider the CX IM/TB swap taking like an hour tops you start to think you might as well not put it off, :p

krousdb 04-01-2006 04:18 PM

Re: Thanks, dartmouth is ivy

Quote:

Thanks, dartmouth is ivy indeed. I'm getting what I deserve for financial aid, my mom has saved well so all will be fine on that front.

Anyway, we all want taller gearing, but when you consider the CX IM/TB swap taking like an hour tops you start to think you might as well not put it off, :p

An hour? For you maybe. Bring it with the tranny and maybe we can get it all done at once. The thing that always happens is that you are short one part that you didnt think of like a gasket or crush washer, and you cant finish until next week when you can finally get the part. Maybe I need a list of parts to have on hand.

SVOboy 04-01-2006 04:20 PM

I have done it already, so I

I have done it already, so I can watch your back on the parts. It's really not that bad. You've got the lines and **** and then you go ahead and do 8 bolts and extend some wires and la di da.

I'll do a write up on it as part of my MPFI **** some day.

thisisntjared 04-01-2006 09:52 PM

from mt holy a trip to pitt

from mt holy a trip to pitt would take under 7 hours if you go 70 the entire way and dont stop. but the fastest route would be to take 38 into philli then take 76 to the pa turnpike. you could also take 206 north to columbus road, which takes you right to the pa turnpike as it meets the border and avoid some of the gross philli traffic.

how do i know this? my fiancee lives just south of johnstown. which is less than 2 hours from pitt.

krousdb 04-02-2006 03:21 AM

The easiest way to get to

The easiest way to get to Wexford, which is north of Pittsburgh is to take I-76 to exit 3 which is Rt 19 and head south. My house is about 15 minutes away. But you may want to take I-70 west and then I-79 North to the Wexford Exit #73 east which is Rt 910. It is longer but you won't have to pay any tolls. My guess is about $10 in tolls on I-76.

SVOboy 04-02-2006 07:46 AM

Well shit, I was just saying

Well ****, I was just saying the google maps estimation. I know they always over estimate but I figure if I'm gonna drive 55-60 it might night be that much over estimated.

thisisntjared 04-02-2006 11:00 AM

cost in tolls will be around

cost in tolls will be around $13 if you go through philli and $16 if you go during rush hour and decide to go around philli. (this is not counting tolls for the bridges which you pay on your way there, but not on the way back)

the speed limit is 65... if you maintain 60mph exactly throughout the entire trip(meaning you dont stop at all, peeing in bottles the entire way) it will take you around 6 hours. here are the approximates if you maintain the given average speeds:
mph...time
55....6:27
60....5:55
65....5:28
70....5:04
75....4:44

remember these times are based off average speed. there will be times when you slow down. i have noticed when i try to maintain 75 throughout a trip, the average speed tends to be 70. if your seriously considering driving under 60mph throughout the entire trip, please remember the last time you have driven more than 5 hours straight.

if you would do something like this for fuel consumption, please find a truck and ride his draft as an alternative to going 5mph under the speedlimit.

SVOboy 04-02-2006 11:21 AM

The most I have driven is 3

The most I have driven is 3 hours straight. I am planning to drive to dartmouth before that, which is longer I am thinking now, so we shall see.

GasSavers_DaX 04-05-2006 02:29 PM

I'm down for some Pitt

I'm down for some Pitt action. I'll take a couch and bring some beer and my tools - I've done countless (well, we'll say 30+) honda swaps/trannies and pretty much have it down pat.

Seriously, I could possibly be down if enough advance warning was given, but I won't guarantee since I'm planning a wedding.

krousdb 04-05-2006 02:42 PM

It would be great if you

It would be great if you could make it. We can try to work with your schedule and SVOboy's schedule. As soon as he gets the tranny we can try to firm up a date. Have you done any DX to CX IM/TB swaps? It would be great to do that to.

Hope we can get others interested.

GasSavers_DaX 04-05-2006 02:44 PM

Re: It would be great if you

Quote:

Originally Posted by krousdb
It would be great if you could make it. We can try to work with your schedule and SVOboy's schedule. As soon as he gets the tranny we can try to firm up a date. Have you done any DX to CX IM/TB swaps? It would be great to do that to.

Hope we can get others interested.

Not that particular swap, but I've swapped IM's and TB's on my Integra motors while in my Civic, which I can't imagine is much different. Just let me know what you plan on doing so that if I do come, I can bring adequate tools. I have accumulated some unique Honda tools over time.

krousdb 04-05-2006 03:10 PM

So far we were hoping to

So far we were hoping to swap the existing DX 5 speed with a CX for a taller final drive. The clutch is fine so no need to mess with it. I also have the CX IM/TB to install into the D15B7 head. But also there is a possibility of swapping the B7 head with a B8. I guess I would like your input on that. Do you see any problems with the swap? Will a CX IM bolt directly to a B7 head? Will a B8 head bolt onto a B7 block and will the resulting compression ratio be the same?

GasSavers_DaX 04-05-2006 03:14 PM

Re: So far we were hoping to

Quote:

Will a CX IM bolt directly to a B7 head?
Yes
Quote:

Will a B8 head bolt onto a B7 block
Yes
Quote:

and will the resulting compression ratio be the same?
I have no clue. SVO may be able to help with finding the site, or you could search H-T, but I know I've seen a site that lists CR's for different head/block configs.

While we're at it, we can open the CX tranny case and check the ISB to make sure it's copacetic.

Bunger 04-05-2006 03:41 PM

Hummm... Google maps puts

Hummm... Google maps puts Pittsburgh at 2,492 miles... I think I'm gunna pass on this meet. =)

SVOboy 04-05-2006 03:53 PM

Yes, all your shit will work

Yes, all your **** will work danny, wouldn't a suggested it if it wouldn't. We basically have the same damn engine. If Dax is coming up I'm half tempted to do my tranny swap there also, that'd be crrrrazzzeeeeeee.

Anyway, compression should be the same or not significantly different. I will check though.

GasSavers_DaX 04-05-2006 03:54 PM

Re: Hummm... Google maps puts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunger
Hummm... Google maps puts Pittsburgh at 2,492 miles... I think I'm gunna pass on this meet. =)

741 miles - a haul but doable. It's about the same distance to South Bend, IN, and I've driven that before.

krousdb 04-05-2006 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
While we're at it, we can open the CX tranny case and check the ISB to make sure it's copacetic.

OK, showing my ignorance here, what is the ISB? Might I want to install a new throwout bearing? Thats what we used to call them back in the 70's when replace my last clutch on my 1970 AMX.

As long as we are opening the tranny, why not just swap the final drive gear? My tranny only has 45k miles while the CX tranny has over 100k. Im sure that i just said something stupid but I will leave it to you to point that out.:)

Cant wait to meet the ***** pin!

SVOboy 04-05-2006 03:59 PM

The cx final drive is better

The cx final drive is better for FE than yours, so no worries there with swapping. Anyway, the pin ain't bad, you just need a tool for it.

Your throwout bearing should be fine also, but you can have any of the clutch **** from the cx you want if it looks to be in better condition.

GasSavers_DaX 04-05-2006 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krousdb
OK, showing my ignorance here, what is the ISB? Might I want to install a new throwout bearing? Thats what we used to call them back in the 70's when replace my last clutch on my 1970 AMX.

As long as we are opening the tranny, why not just swap the final drive gear? My tranny only has 45k miles while the CX tranny has over 100k. Im sure that i just said something stupid but I will leave it to you to point that out.:)

Cant wait to meet the ***** pin!

ISB = input shaft bearing. Sure, we can replace the TOB (throw out bearing) while we're in there...will you be installing a new clutch as well? Usually a new TOB and pilot bearing (goes in the flywheel) comes with a new clutch.

Unless you have access to a press to break down the countershaft, it's going to be difficult to just swap the FD.

Again, with the right tools (1/4" drift pin, 3 lb hammer), the ***** pin is really nothing more than a wuss pin.

krousdb 04-05-2006 04:06 PM

Re: Yes, all your shit will work

Quote:

Yes, all your **** will work danny, wouldn't a suggested it if it wouldn't. We basically have the same damn engine. If Dax is coming up I'm half tempted to do my tranny swap there also, that'd be crrrrazzzeeeeeee.

Anyway, compression should be the same or not significantly different. I will check though.

Doh! Im getting confused with the VX swap where the CR would change. Didnt mean to dis you SVO, i just got confused.

Yes, a dual tranny swap, one in each garage bay. I have a third bay under the deck in case anyone else needs to swap something. Bring your own jacks, as I have no lifts other than the el cheapo floor jack and two jack stands.

SVOboy 04-05-2006 04:10 PM

You didn't "dis" me, I'm

You didn't "dis" me, I'm just saying. Yeah, CR would be *** high on a vx head. :(

I need to find one of those damn engines. I put my car up on cinder blocks and wood, :p

krousdb 04-05-2006 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
ISB = input shaft bearing. Sure, we can replace the TOB (throw out bearing) while we're in there...will you be installing a new clutch as well? Usually a new TOB and pilot bearing (goes in the flywheel) comes with a new clutch.

The current clutch is still good but I guess we could put in an new clutch. Should I get one from the dealership? TOB and pilot bearings comes with eh? About how much for the works? Does a new clutch require resurfacing the flywheel? Maybe I should replace the timing belt also. 13 years old after all.

Anyway, most of my weekends are open for the meet. The bad ones are: April 15-16, April 29-30, June 17-18, July 22-23, August 19-20. Anything else is doable for me. SVOboy doesnt have any bad weekends except for graduation so, since a visit from DaX would be da bomb, what would be good for you?

SVOboy 04-05-2006 04:29 PM

Clutch can come from much

Clutch can come from much anywhere, I will be getting my new one for free soon (from a 98 civic ex) and just buying a TOB from autozone for 22 bucks to use it with my CRX. What what.

krousdb 04-05-2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks for considering it. Maybe a west coast meet is in order.

krousdb 04-05-2006 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
Quote:

741 miles - a haul but doable. It's about the same distance to South Bend, IN, and I've driven that before.

Wow, it seems like South Bend would be a lot farther. It is over 200 miles WNW from Pittsburgh.