Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Chevron Conspiracy? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/chevron-conspiracy-18714.html)

rfm55555 06-26-2016 06:35 AM

Chevron Conspiracy?

I seem to have trouble finding discussion of gas mileage
for the same vehicle from one major brand to the other.
I drive a 2012 Prius and regularly compare the mileage I get with the same type of driving from one brand to the other. I consistently find that among Shell, Chevron and 76, I get the poorest mileage with Chevron. Chevron is worst by as much as 3 to 4 mpg.
My cynical side says this is a way for Chevron to extract more purchases from their loyal Techron affectionadoes who never try another brand.
Any thoughts?

Jay2TheRescue 06-26-2016 07:07 AM

They may be just tossing in some extra ethanol.

gregsfc 06-26-2016 11:59 AM

I've noticed this with Marathon. Just saw it with a couple of tanks, going back and forth from different brands. Saw it especially with diesel fuel. Didn't keep studying to try to prove it was fact. Just quit going. Never use Chevron so don't know

benlovesgoddess 06-26-2016 10:48 PM

In the UK I used to get slightly worse mileage with one particular supermarkets own brand of diesel.
I later read the small print on the pump, it was mixed with minimum 7% biodiesel...
Biodiesel may be great if priced lower, but running pure biodiesel in a '92 1.7 Astra I used to get about 42 mpg (imp) but around 54 mpg (imp) running on regular diesel.
I would expect any diesel pump mixed with biodiesel to give fewer miles per gallon, presumably its the same with petrol missed with ethanol.

trollbait 06-27-2016 06:23 AM

Is this observation from a single station?

BlueRover 08-09-2016 08:49 AM

I usually fill up with Chevron 94 (non ethanol) and get best performance and mileage.

DesertRat2011 08-09-2016 10:53 AM

If you get better MPG with gas/diesel that costs more are you saving any $ ? :rolleyes:

Draigflag 08-09-2016 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRat2011 (Post 190312)
If you get better MPG with gas/diesel that costs more are you saving any $ ? :rolleyes:

For that, simply work out cost per mile (fuelly does that anyway) then multiply it by however many miles you intend to use that fuel for. Of course, you could argue that better fuel will be better for your engine, less maintenance and less oil changes, so it could help in more ways than you think.

BlueRover 08-09-2016 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRat2011 (Post 190312)

More in interested in the performance of the fuel, I don't want any pre ignition and Chevron has the best cleaner for fuel systems. I understand that all manufacturers in the US ship Chevron fuel to their plants when doing EPA mileage tests.

trollbait 08-10-2016 04:46 AM

The EPA tests use a special test blend that you won't find at the local gas station.

R.I.D.E. 08-10-2016 05:25 AM

Never used enough Chevron to notice any difference. I just use Fuelly and buy the cheapest gas I can find. $1.749 for the last few weeks. I do see fairly large discrepancies when filling at stations other than the local Costco, which has a drainage depression which, when my front wheels are in the depression, I get much more consistent MPGs, tank to tank.

BlueRover 08-10-2016 07:51 AM

EPA uses Certification Gasoline.which is high octane pure fuel with no ethanol in it. That's what I use. If no Chevron stations in the area where I fill up I then use Shell 91 with no ethanol.
Never have had a fuel related problem with any of my cars. ( as long as filled up with non ethanol)

DesertRat2011 08-10-2016 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRover (Post 190334)
EPA uses Certification Gasoline.which is high octane pure fuel with no ethanol in it. That's what I use. If no Chevron stations in the area where I fill up I then use Shell 91 with no ethanol.
Never have had a fuel related problem with any of my cars. ( as long as filled up with non ethanol)

No such thing as none ethanol gas sold here in California, that is unless you own a diesel.

BlueRover 08-10-2016 04:43 PM

:)Have a friend near Anaheim who loves the drive north to treat her car with pure gas.

At least California does not sell the fuel they have in Montana :eek: