Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   2006 Georgia Tech Auto Show Review w/ Pictures (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/2006-georgia-tech-auto-show-review-w-pictures-1888.html)

GasSavers_DaX 04-05-2006 02:09 PM

2006 Georgia Tech Auto Show Review w/ Pictures

Well, I've been waiting to download my digital pictures since Saturday and I've been about to bust! I almost started a thread without the pictures, but I restrained myself.

The car show (Saturday, April 1, 2006) went off without a hitch, other than an inital spat of rain which was actually gone by 11:00 AM, which is when the show officially started.

If you weren't sure, I entered my 1990 Civic DX Sedan in the Student Beater class, a class of cars which must be owned by current students, registered with the school under a parking pass, and thought to be worth less than the parking pass (the parking pass actually costs $500/year, without a guaranteed spot to park). I personally would like to think my car is worth more than $500, but others may disagree.

I got there at 9:00 AM to set up. I was the first beater there, so I got pick of the spots in my section, which was nice. There were only three other cars in my class, which was kind of disappointing but also gave me a better shot at winning.

As I said before, the rain tapered off by about 11:00 AM, and it turned out to be a magnificent day. There aren't too many pictures, as I didn't get to walk around too much because of all the people wanting to ask me about my car! I was amazed, but my posterboard and my little display of mangled parts was a hit with everyone! I also took most of a roll of 35 mm, and I'll post those as well when I get them back (I'm excited to get the prints back because I just got my Canon fixed :)).

At one point someone on the other side of the show started revving their engine and everyone started doing it. I did it too and blew a HUGE cloud of blue oil smoke across the crowd. It was so funny. Anyhow, I didn't win in my class, though EVERYONE said I should have, and without being arrogant, I think I should have too. It's not a big deal though, as I had a BLAST and plan on re-entering next year, with more miles and a rattier look.

Anyhow, here are the pictures!

[img][/img]
Still rainy, as I had JUST set up. The turn signal actually fell out on it's on (broken plastic clip) about 2 weeks ago. I put off fixing it until after the show.

[img][/img]
A detailed shot of my posterboard. I forgot to fill in the last three digits of the mileage before I took the picture. I just duct taped it to the rear driver side door.

[img][/img]
My freak show of mangled parts. On the left is a 3rd gear set from an Accord tranny that was run low on oil; beside that is a piston/rod from an Integra (used for comparison); beside that is a mangled piston/rod from my old 90 Civic EX (I bought the car like this); and on the right is the original cylinder head from the car in the show, showing the burnt valve in Cyl #1.

[img][/img]
I was too broke to spring for a sticker before the show, so I did the next best thing and made this. I just had to represent. I couldn't remember the site's slogan so I made up my own. Don't sue me Matt!

[img][/img]
One of the first cars in the lot. A Ferrari F40. I have never seen one of these in person until Saturday. An absolutely magnificent automobile - Ferrari's only production twin turbo V8. Only 1275 miles on the odo. By far one of my top favorite cars at the show. If you don't know how awesome this car really is, click THIS LINK and turn up your volume. Pure sex.

[img][/img]
Another shot of the F40.

[img][/img]
I couldn't believe it when I saw Ferrari Club of Atlanta roll this bad boy off the trailer - a live-in-person Ferrari Enzo. This is Ferrari's 60th anniversary car. Only 499 produced, you have to be on a list of people Ferrari likes before you can drop your $652,000 on this car. It had the dealership sticker in the window - 12 hwy / 8 city MPG. :o It's definately an awesome automobile, sounds super sexy, but I still like the F40 better.

[img][/img]
Some Enzo ***.

[img][/img]
This thing sounded sick when they cranked it. Here's a shot of them rolling it off the trailer. It's a Mazda RX-792 LM. Someone said it won the LeMans in 1992 and that after that, the LeMans banned rotary engine vehicles (I don't know this to be true or not though). It has a FOUR-rotor engine and believe me when I say it sounds sick. It's like a motorcycle on steroids.

[img][/img]
I was amazed to see three Porsche 914's there! This one was by far the most unique. It's a work in progress, as you can definately see. Someone chopped the top off (permavertible) and dropped in a Lexus V8. They still are working out the bugs and plumbing the radiator. Check out the awesome wheel covers though!

[img][/img]
I double taked at this - a Volvo with a Ford Mustang 5.0 V8!

[img][/img]
Another one! It looks like it was made to go in there. Check out the custom intake manifold plate, sweet.

[img][/img]
Yes, the alternative fuel section rocked too. This guy brought his entire Biodiesel workshop to the show! It was awesome chatting with him. There were some EV's, SVO's, and even a real Smart Car! I have pics of some of these on my 35 mm.

[img][/img]
Just a self-taken shot of me and my dad by my car. Yes, that's the same guy that's in my icon.

Enjoy and ask questions! The website for the show is https://www.gatechautoshow.com/

Matt Timion 04-05-2006 03:59 PM

Awesome pictures.... i can't

Awesome pictures.... i can't believe how bent that rod is... ouch. Imagine driving that car when it happened.

BTW, now we know what you look like... *evil laugh*

MetroMPG 04-05-2006 04:34 PM

yeah, great pics and

yeah, excellent pics and commentary. thanks for sharing!

and i agree - the f40 is way more interesting than the enzo.

what about those EVs? if you got any pics on your 35, i'd like to see & find out more about them.

krousdb 04-05-2006 04:40 PM

OK so now we know what DaX

OK so now we know what DaX looks like. Im wondering what SVOboy looks like. All I have seen is his hands and burnt finger. I wonder if he is married because he has a ring on his ring finger? And what about Matt and Metro and RH77 and Compaq and Jangeo and Phil and all the rest. It's nice to put a face to a name.

GasSavers_DaX 04-05-2006 05:12 PM

Re: yeah, great pics and

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
yeah, excellent pics and commentary. thanks for sharing!

and i agree - the f40 is way more interesting than the enzo.

what about those EVs? if you got any pics on your 35, i'd like to see & find out more about them.

I plan on getting digital prints with my 4x6's to post. There was a three wheel unit that looked like a banana - that was the coolest EV there. I'll post pictures and get info for you.

Haha, I figured it was time I put my face out there for you guys, now you all should do the same! :p

SVOboy 04-05-2006 05:16 PM

I made a thread with my face

I made a thread with my face and blah blah, cuz I figured, yeah.

Anyway, very very awesome. Poor your car though. I thought this was just a school thing when you kept mentioning it, but hells no!

krousdb 04-06-2006 01:20 AM

Im wondering what the

Im wondering what the winning car in the beater class looks like.

GasSavers_DaX 04-06-2006 04:04 AM

It was an older BMW 2002,

It was an older BMW 2002, and I thought it looked decent, though I didn't get to get a great look at it.

Matt Timion 04-06-2006 04:49 AM

Re: It was an older BMW 2002,

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
It was an older BMW 2002, and I thought it looked decent, though I didn't get to get a great look at it.

WTF? A 2002 won? That doesn't make any sense. You should have won simply because your car is actually, well, a beater.

That reminds me, I knew of a guy who has over 400,000 miles on his 85 Civic Wagon over and it's still going. How crazy is that?

Compaq888 04-06-2006 05:13 AM

a 3 rotor is good for 10's.

a 3 rotor is good for 10's. So a 4 rotor is crazy.

A 3 rotor makes about 600hp NA. There is a video of a 3 rotor 1986 corolla. At 50-60mph it takes off like a rocket. And by rocket I mean he is gone from camera view in 2 seconds.

Here is the video of the 4 rotor Mazda that you saw.
https://videos.streetfire.net/hottestvideos/1/9464A439-D7C8-4A72-9515-1FA7070EC5AF.htm