Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Hey Everyone. (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/hey-everyone-1923.html)

tomauto 04-09-2006 09:27 PM

Hey Everyone.
 
Hi, my name is Thomas, I own a 1996 Honda Civic Lx, I have enjoyed the car for 3 years now. It has had just enough performance to keep me happy over the years. It is a fairly dependable car. I normally get around 30-32 mpg on average. That always includes going fast for a little while. If the price goes over 4 I will defineatly slow it down some. Has anybody ever done the Civic HX swap for the vehicle. I would be interested in getting Vtec-E in the little 4 door. (a couple more horses and better fuel economy). In a month I will strip the interior down to lessen the weight. Other than that I will look to this website for help.

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/412633/1

Matt Timion 04-09-2006 09:41 PM

A civic HX swap would be a
 
A civic HX swap would be a first. If I were you I'd also consider finding a civic VX engine and converting to obd1. This will give you less displacement (and less HP than the HX, but whatever). I think a 1.5L would give you better fuel economy than a 1.6L.

Oh, and welcome welcome!

Just curious, how did you find this site? I've noticed a lot of Honda drivers lately (not that I'm complaining), but I wonder where the other drivers are.

tomauto 04-09-2006 10:51 PM

SVOboy got me in here. I put
 
SVOboy got me in here. I put up a post about acetone on the Honda-Tech and after much flaming by the regular users, I decieded to see what people were doing about their gas mileage, since the people at Honda-Tech dismiss anything that could potentially save money on gas.

Where would the other drivers be? Hmmm, I don't think gas prices are quite high enough for them yet.

Here is a good link for the GM Folk...
https://www.chevyapprentice.com/view.php?country=us&uniqueid=238ee5de-122b-1029-98eb-0013724ff5a7

n0rt0npr0 04-10-2006 04:21 AM

'
 
Welcome! Definately utilize the search function on the forum here as we have a crazy amount of info hiding! Umm, your link is for all SUV ppl's...can't just single out the GM folk with that :)

And really Matt? I've never heard any pros to converting from OBDII(1996+) to OBDI? I always thought obd2 would control the engine waaay better, plus u have the option of scangauge.

SVOboy 04-10-2006 05:35 AM

Yo yo yo. Don't worry about
 
Yo yo yo. Don't worry about the HX swap, just do a mini-me with the head swap, piece of cake.

HX wouldn't be a first, this is what Bense has done, I did the ecu for it, :p

Quote:

And really Matt? I've never heard any pros to converting from OBDII(1996+) to OBDI? I always thought obd2 would control the engine waaay better, plus u have the option of scangauge.
Basically, with hondas, you can tune it much better, stick in older engines that don't have all the sensors, and just be all around cooler.

Matt Timion 04-10-2006 09:05 AM

Re: '
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by n0rt0npr0
And really Matt? I've never heard any pros to converting from OBDII(1996+) to OBDI? I always thought obd2 would control the engine waaay better, plus u have the option of scangauge.

I was mainly thinking of availability and smaller displacement.

I would do the whole engine swap though instead of a mini-me. I think it will give you fewer variables to worry about, and then you can say, "I have the HX engine in here!"

obd2 will give you cool features like scangauge, which is a total bonus.

SVOboy 04-10-2006 09:33 AM

Full engine swap = less
 
Full engine swap = less variables? Say what?

Talk about more money too, those d16y5s ain't cheap.

Matt Timion 04-10-2006 09:48 AM

Re: Full engine swap = less
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Full engine swap = less variables? Say what?

Yes, less variables.

When you do the full engine swap, you won't have to get a new head gasket, head bolts, etc. The compression ratio won't go up. You won't have to worry about pistons/rods matching the head.

SVOboy 04-10-2006 10:01 AM

There is no compression
 
There is no compression issue with the d16y5 head swap, because it identical to the y8 except for the rockers and cam and some boring stuff.

tomauto 04-10-2006 01:51 PM

Mini-Me vs HX
 
Well I was reading up on the HX, and I really like the lean burn mode on it. It was built for pure fuel economy. I thought the Mini-Me was more into the power gains....Of course both options are better than what I have now! I found a HX Motor on Ebay and it looks like it can be had for around 500 (if I pick it up)

I dont know if a Mini-Me swap would be worth it...

SVOboy 04-10-2006 03:07 PM

Mini-me simply means putting
 
Mini-me simply means putting a vtec head on a non-vtec engine. You're engine would be almost identical to the y5 if you did this. You can prolly get the head for 50 bucks, rather then the engine for 500.

tomauto 04-10-2006 04:30 PM

Mini-Me
 
I can go for the VTEC, I just watched a Mini-Me Civic go...It was pretty cool. I am in, so, where do I start looking?

SVOboy 04-10-2006 04:32 PM

Well, it's the same VTEC-E
 
Well, it's the same VTEC-E you were still looking for, don't get confused with the standard mini-me. Lemme find a few links real quick.

SVOboy 04-10-2006 04:34 PM

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=554053

There's the how to. It's not all that bad really, then you need to ecu and head and that kinda ****.

tomauto 04-10-2006 06:30 PM

Vtec-E
 
Well, I suppose the head I am looking for will from the D16Y5. Now I just need to find one and an ECU to go with it....

SVOboy 04-10-2006 06:31 PM

And a 5 wire o2 sensor. It
 
And a 5 wire o2 sensor. It all shouldn't be that much if you shop around.

tomauto 04-10-2006 07:28 PM

more electrical
 
I am not all that buff on the electrical side of this swap, what else do I need to be thinking about?

SVOboy 04-10-2006 07:29 PM

Just the wiring. It's not
 
Just the wiring. It's not really that bad, I've done a lot recently with no experience. Just read up A LOT beforehand.

tomauto 04-10-2006 11:00 PM

D16Y5 Head
 
This is looking pretty good. I have been looking at this all night, lol...I have seen some pretty quick HX's around Honda-Tech. I need this mini-me swap. There is an entire wiring harness with ECU from a HX on E-bay right now for 80 bucks, should I pick it up?? Or could I find a better deal on a ECU? The same person is selling the complete motor (but unsure of the miles...) I still need to find a Head.

Matt Timion 04-10-2006 11:38 PM

Re: D16Y5 Head
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomauto
This is looking pretty good. I have been looking at this all night, lol...I have seen some pretty quick HX's around Honda-Tech. I need this mini-me swap. There is an entire wiring harness with ECU from a HX on E-bay right now for 80 bucks, should I pick it up?? Or could I find a better deal on a ECU? The same person is selling the complete motor (but unsure of the miles...) I still need to find a Head.

Odd are you can use your own wiring harness with a few modifications. You'll definately want the ECU however. Maybe getting the ECU and harness is worth it?

As for the engine, how much is he charging for it? It might be wise to place a "wanted to buy" ad on honda-tech for either the head or the complete engine.

The number of miles probably isn't as important. Hondas tend to run forever.

BTW, I just checked out the ebay auction.. Here it is

Something you might find interesting is that the engine comes with an o2 sensor. I'm assuming the HX used a five wire o2 sensor, so that's esentially a free $100+ o2 sensor with that engine.

The $375 + $250 s/h is a bit much.

tomauto 04-11-2006 12:03 AM

Engine Swap
 
Your looking at the same thing I am, good.

Switching engines would be kinda pointless I think...Spending 625 dollars more kinda takes out the advantage I gain in fuel economy. However, It would save on the headaches of the mini-me swap tremendously. I am considering grabbing that ECU. I dont think I am going to get a better deal there. This is going to be a good summer project. I can't find anybody on H-T that has done this swap, there is one other person who wants to though. I found somebody who is willing to sell his head, but I am sure I need a few more parts than that. Can I use the same valve cover?

Matt Timion 04-11-2006 05:09 AM

Re: Engine Swap
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomauto
Your looking at the same thing I am, good.

Switching engines would be kinda pointless I think...Spending 625 dollars more kinda takes out the advantage I gain in fuel economy. However, It would save on the headaches of the mini-me swap tremendously. I am considering grabbing that ECU. I dont think I am going to get a better deal there. This is going to be a good summer project. I can't find anybody on H-T that has done this swap, there is one other person who wants to though. I found somebody who is willing to sell his head, but I am sure I need a few more parts than that. Can I use the same valve cover?

Trust me when I say the mini-me swap is MUCH easier than a full engine swap.

I would get that cylinder head and then figure out what you need next. Maybe it's a valve cover. YOu can find those on the cheap too if you're patient.

I've been slowly getting parts for my swap for almost a year now. I found a VX engine, ECU, conversion harness, o2 sensor, downpipe/cat (slightly different on these engines) all from different people. Sadly I actually purchased other stuff too that I didn't end up needing. I've since sold it again on ebay.

If it takes you a bit longer to get this swap done then so be it. Price is obviously important to you, as it should be.

I would contact Bunger on this site and ask him to double check to see if the HX head will work on your block. I would also ask him for any advice on this particular swap.

a mini-me swap may seem like a headache, but you only have to remove your cylinder head, which you can do with hand tools over a weekend. Start researching mini-me's on honda-tech and try to find lots of tutorials. It's easier than it seems.

tomauto 04-11-2006 08:51 AM

The block on the engines are
 
The block on the engines are all the same. I have been reviewing my Haynes manual, and it is not all that complicated. I will need to buy some quality tools also, but I have to buy them at some point.

The only thing I haven't found on Honda-Tech is how to modify the wiring harness to make it work correctly. Some people with HX's are getting Uberdata ECU's into their cars and modifing the 2nd O2 sensor for performance. I want to keep the stock ECU. I will definately need help with the wiring...a diagram would be wonderful.

Matt Timion 04-11-2006 09:39 AM

Re: The block on the engines are
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomauto
The block on the engines are all the same. I have been reviewing my Haynes manual, and it is not all that complicated. I will need to buy some quality tools also, but I have to buy them at some point.

The only thing I haven't found on Honda-Tech is how to modify the wiring harness to make it work correctly. Some people with HX's are getting Uberdata ECU's into their cars and modifing the 2nd O2 sensor for performance. I want to keep the stock ECU. I will definately need help with the wiring...a diagram would be wonderful.

I would recommend you contact droppedcrxsi on honda-tech. He has all of the wiring information for all of these cars. Another possible resource is DrDisco.

I think that you car might already be wired for vtec, which means all you'll have to do is run ONE wire for the five wire o2 sensor.

tomauto 04-11-2006 10:10 AM

Thanks!
 
Sweet! I Heart Honda

SVOboy 04-11-2006 01:22 PM

I doubt the car is ready for
 
I doubt the car is ready for vtec, I think that was only early del sols and 92 civics.

Anyway, matt, first you said swap was easier, then you said mini-me was easier, :p

tomauto 04-11-2006 02:00 PM

right...
 
Yeah, depends on the kind of tools you have. A mini-me is easier because of the simpler tools and not having to deal with transmission.

There are many threads about the 92-95 civics, and much of the discussion is about switching over to OBD-1...and I dont have that problem. There isn't a thread about it specifically. I am sure it coudl work. I need to have a look at an HX engine...

tomauto 04-11-2006 03:06 PM

the thread I have been searching..
 
Here it is, all 11 pages worth...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1414454

SVOboy 04-11-2006 03:10 PM

Yeah, but that guy is
 
Yeah, but that guy is running obd1 with a chipped ecu and gsr fuel/timing maps (I set it up for him). But nevertheless, it can be done, so I vote go for it.

tomauto 04-11-2006 07:02 PM

Engine Swap
 
He is going for a crazy hybrid setup which I do not have time to do and he is also pushing performance (gearing and all that)...

Here is what I learned.

If I want it to not throw codes, I have to purchase the intake manifold also. This little swap is starting to become more and more expensive by the minute. I could use the experience of the head swap though...I need to research more on the electrical aspect still.

It would be pretty sweet to gain 10 hp and 6-9 mpg for around $300. So I haven't given up on it yet...My civic is coming up on the 150,000 mile mark (Major Service) So while I am putting those new parts on it, I mise well do this also.

Matt Timion 04-11-2006 09:01 PM

Re: Engine Swap
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomauto
He is going for a crazy hybrid setup which I do not have time to do and he is also pushing performance (gearing and all that)...

Here is what I learned.

If I want it to not throw codes, I have to purchase the intake manifold also. This little swap is starting to become more and more expensive by the minute. I could use the experience of the head swap though...I need to research more on the electrical aspect still.

Let me just say this: Take your time.

Spend the next few weeks/months researching your options. Use it to search for parts and to ask others to search for parts with you. If you post a list of parts you need most of us will keep an eye out at the junkyards and will usually get you the part for cost.

Hell, I have two extra exhaust manifolds for these vehicles in my basement right now. I can also be on the lookout for a smaller intake manifold (VX/CX/HX) in the event you need one.

molecule 04-11-2006 10:03 PM

i have 3 vx intakes in my
 
i have 3 vx intakes in my garage...
one of which i will be using soon...

my first visit to this thread...
just saying hi...
i'll try and catch up to what it is your doing and offer what ever advice i can...
these guys are cool around here...i'll say that...
your in good hands...for what its worth

Matt Timion 04-11-2006 10:49 PM

Re: i have 3 vx intakes in my
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eigerzoom
i have 3 vx intakes in my garage...
one of which i will be using soon...

my first visit to this thread...
just saying hi...
i'll try and catch up to what it is your doing and offer what ever advice i can...
these guys are cool around here...i'll say that...
your in good hands...for what its worth

I'm pretty certain you can sell those to other members here without a problem.

molecule 04-12-2006 12:38 AM

and a cx !!! haha ok enough
 
and a cx !!!
haha

ok enough clouding this guys thread

GasSavers_DaX 04-12-2006 09:09 AM

Re: i have 3 vx intakes in my
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I'm pretty certain you can sell those to other members here without a problem.

I'd be interested in purchasing one! :)

Sludgy 04-12-2006 12:39 PM

I should be going soon. My
 
I should be going soon. My wife is making spaghetti with tomauto sauce.

tomauto 04-12-2006 03:27 PM

Quote:I should be going
 
[quote]I should be going soon. My wife is making spaghetti with tomauto sauce.









what?

SVOboy 04-12-2006 03:47 PM

He's making fun of your
 
He's making fun of your name, it seems.

tomauto 04-12-2006 10:58 PM

eh....
 
Well, I am glad he can contribute in that manner.

SVOboy 04-13-2006 02:48 AM

Haha, don't worry about it
 
Haha, don't worry about it too much. We make fun of each other over here but it's not like honda-tech, :p

How's the search for parts?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.