Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   It's time to push the car to it's limits. (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/its-time-to-push-the-car-to-its-limits-1937.html)

MetroMPG 04-12-2006 05:30 PM

Re: By watching the supermid or

Quote:

Originally Posted by krousdb
I was thinking that there may be some value in having a community Scangauge and/or SuperMID that would be paid for by money pooled by Gassaver members.

awesome idea. i'd chip in to the pool to help out.

one guy on the EV list "rents" an expensive set of electrical cable crimping tools to other EV enthusiasts. the "rental fee" is the actual purchase price of the tools + shipping. he refunds the purchase price when you return his tools.

JanGeo 04-12-2006 05:42 PM

Re: If I had the money I would

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
69 mpg (US) @ 65 km/h (40.4 mph)
62 mpg (US) @ 75 km/h (46.6 mph)
55 mpg (US) @ 85 km/h (52.8 mph)

How about continuing the measurements to 55 45 35 km/h seems to be a very interesting progression and I wonder if it changes slope as you go slower.

SVOboy 04-12-2006 05:44 PM

I believe he's already

I believe he's already posted that info in the experiments section.

MetroMPG 04-12-2006 06:12 PM

Re: I believe he's already

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
I believe he's already posted that info in the experiments section.

maybe you're thinking of the constant speed, different gears experiment.

jangeo, i didn't go below 65 because the engine really isn't happy in top gear below there. incidentally, you're right - i believe my mpg starts to decline again (at slower constant speeds) somewhere between 60-65 km/h in 5th. the curve changes.

i'll eventually do a proper test of this with a greater range (i suppose i'll lug the engine at 55 km/h for the sake of science, plus i'll go much higher for fun). i want to find the car's "sweet" spot, and this is one way to do it. i believe it's right around 65 km/h.

SVOboy 04-12-2006 06:16 PM

Yes, I was thinking of the

Yes, I was thinking of the different gears test, sorry for the confusion!

Compaq888 04-13-2006 06:23 AM

like I said before I have

like I said before I have always seen that the lower rpm I go the more fuel I save. My OD gear starts at 37mph. If I go 37mph I'll be at 1250rpm. Which should get me the best mpg due to several factors.
One is I'm going in the highest possible gear. Then I'm in the lowest possible rpm. And also there is less wind resistence than going higher speed.

So for me the faster I go the more fuel I spend.

molecule 04-13-2006 07:28 AM

i would drive 55 if i

i would drive 55 if i thought it was safe...
on most highways...that brings considerable traffic up on your *** in a hurry...
i always could get better mileage going 55...but not enough to risk my life...
63.5mph has been the speed for my career...
it allows 'idiot' traffic to flow around you more safely
55 is a hazard in todays world

Compaq888 04-13-2006 10:21 AM

Re: i would drive 55 if i

Quote:

Originally Posted by eigerzoom
i would drive 55 if i thought it was safe...
on most highways...that brings considerable traffic up on your *** in a hurry...
i always could get better mileage going 55...but not enough to risk my life...
63.5mph has been the speed for my career...
it allows 'idiot' traffic to flow around you more safely
55 is a hazard in todays world

too true

mtbiker278 04-13-2006 11:11 AM

55mph a no no

I saw a news story a couple of weeks ago where they covered how to save gas. One of their tips was to drive the speed limit. Makes sense, until you notice that you're driving on the belyway and the speed limit is 55. During their story a tractor trailer almost rear-ended them as they were going 55. I'm pretty sure that sent a clear message to whoever was watching.

Compaq888 04-13-2006 01:10 PM

you should see the thread I

you should see the thread I made in the off topic of people driving the speed limit. There was a hit and run involved.