Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Ford scrappage scheme. (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/ford-scrappage-scheme-19601.html)

JockoT 08-21-2017 10:03 PM

Ford scrappage scheme.

Ford UK have announced a scrappage scheme for vehicles 7 years or older, from any manufacturer, where they will take the old vehicle and give you £2000 off the price of any new Ford. These vehicles will be scrapped and not sold on through car auctions or the like. Unlike other European manufacturers this will apply to petrol as well as diesel engined vehicles.
I am not that naive not to realise that this is more a marketing ploy than about green issues. Be interesting to see how much of a take up of the offer there is.

Draigflag 08-21-2017 11:19 PM

Never understood schemes like this. Surely the people driving cars that are worth less than £2000 can't afford a new car anyway? Besides, if you're good at haggling, you could easily negotiate a similar deal off a new car without anything to trade in.

I remember the last time they did this, I saw an airfield full of stunning rare classic cars, and some old school performance cars from the late 80's and 90's, that hadn't quite appreciated enough, or needed a bit of work. Sadly all went to the scrapyard :(

Draigflag 08-21-2017 11:24 PM

Here's an article with a few of said victims, almost 400,000. I'm sure most of them were trash, but the Porsches, Jags, Peugeot GTI's, Lancia Delta some of these cars are very rare and worth upwards of £30,000 now. Hurts me inside.

The unexpected victims of the scrappage scheme - Telegraph

And some more:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/bri...scheme-victims

JockoT 08-22-2017 12:43 AM

Years ago I used to work on a work colleague's Hillman Avernger. It was a pretty good motor, worth a few hundred pound. One Monday morning she came in to say she had traded it in and got £1000 off a car from one of the local dealers. He was offering £1000 irrespective of state, MOT, whether you had to push it in or what. I was livid. I was driving a heap of sh*t at the time and told her she could have done me a swap and traded my clunker in. She'd lose nothing and I'd be much better off. She said she never thought! I never ever worked on her new car!!

LDB 08-22-2017 04:37 AM

Many people are too stupid for their own good. It begs a political comparison but I'll refrain.

trollbait 08-22-2017 05:19 AM

The older cars are the ones polluting the most. With a government scrappage scheme, the goal is to get those cars off the road to improve overall emissions.

JockoT 08-22-2017 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollbait (Post 195889)
The older cars are the ones polluting the most. With a government scrappage scheme, the goal is to get those cars off the road to improve overall emissions.

Without a doubt, but when motor manufacturers do it you have to suspect an ulterior motive.

JockoT 08-22-2017 05:59 AM

Just reread my post #4. Hillman Avernger. That must be the type R version of the Avenger!
Take it you cannot edit a post after a later one is posted on the same thread.

Draigflag 08-22-2017 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollbait (Post 195889)

Yea but the really old ones, the rare Classics that are highly sought after, even if it's just for parts they don't make anymore, it shouldn't be allowed that they get scrapped too. Most Classic cars only come out a few times a year for shows etc anyway so contribute very little to pollution levels.

trollbait 08-22-2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JockoT (Post 195890)
Without a doubt, but when motor manufacturers do it you have to suspect an ulterior motive.

Collect underpants
?
Profit

Yeah, I was wondering about that earlier today. Perhaps they figure this will increase demand on new cars in time, or they can write the cars' value off for tax time.
They are free to strip them parts if it isn't for tax credits or some such. And also to send classics and collectibles to auction.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 195895)
Yea but the really old ones, the rare Classics that are highly sought after, even if it's just for parts they don't make anymore, it shouldn't be allowed that they get scrapped too. Most Classic cars only come out a few times a year for shows etc anyway so contribute very little to pollution levels.

Blame the owners trading them in, or their market value as parts cars.
It is a shame, but we can't expect government to take care of everything. Reducing pollution and stimulating the economy are good goals for such a program.

I don't know about not contributing to pollution much. A hot rod passed by us in a parking lot, and you could smell gasoline coming off the carb. The reason why we have reformulated gas that reduces fuel efficiency is just because there are carbureted and early fuel injected cars still being used on the road regularly.