Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Ford scrappage scheme. (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/ford-scrappage-scheme-19601.html)

JockoT 08-21-2017 10:03 PM

Ford scrappage scheme.

Ford UK have announced a scrappage scheme for vehicles 7 years or older, from any manufacturer, where they will take the old vehicle and give you £2000 off the price of any new Ford. These vehicles will be scrapped and not sold on through car auctions or the like. Unlike other European manufacturers this will apply to petrol as well as diesel engined vehicles.
I am not that naive not to realise that this is more a marketing ploy than about green issues. Be interesting to see how much of a take up of the offer there is.

Draigflag 08-21-2017 11:19 PM

Never understood schemes like this. Surely the people driving cars that are worth less than £2000 can't afford a new car anyway? Besides, if you're good at haggling, you could easily negotiate a similar deal off a new car without anything to trade in.

I remember the last time they did this, I saw an airfield full of stunning rare classic cars, and some old school performance cars from the late 80's and 90's, that hadn't quite appreciated enough, or needed a bit of work. Sadly all went to the scrapyard :(

Draigflag 08-21-2017 11:24 PM

Here's an article with a few of said victims, almost 400,000. I'm sure most of them were trash, but the Porsches, Jags, Peugeot GTI's, Lancia Delta some of these cars are very rare and worth upwards of £30,000 now. Hurts me inside.

The unexpected victims of the scrappage scheme - Telegraph

And some more:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/bri...scheme-victims

JockoT 08-22-2017 12:43 AM

Years ago I used to work on a work colleague's Hillman Avernger. It was a pretty good motor, worth a few hundred pound. One Monday morning she came in to say she had traded it in and got £1000 off a car from one of the local dealers. He was offering £1000 irrespective of state, MOT, whether you had to push it in or what. I was livid. I was driving a heap of sh*t at the time and told her she could have done me a swap and traded my clunker in. She'd lose nothing and I'd be much better off. She said she never thought! I never ever worked on her new car!!

LDB 08-22-2017 04:37 AM

Many people are too stupid for their own good. It begs a political comparison but I'll refrain.

trollbait 08-22-2017 05:19 AM

The older cars are the ones polluting the most. With a government scrappage scheme, the goal is to get those cars off the road to improve overall emissions.

JockoT 08-22-2017 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollbait (Post 195889)
The older cars are the ones polluting the most. With a government scrappage scheme, the goal is to get those cars off the road to improve overall emissions.

Without a doubt, but when motor manufacturers do it you have to suspect an ulterior motive.

JockoT 08-22-2017 05:59 AM

Just reread my post #4. Hillman Avernger. That must be the type R version of the Avenger!
Take it you cannot edit a post after a later one is posted on the same thread.

Draigflag 08-22-2017 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollbait (Post 195889)

Yea but the really old ones, the rare Classics that are highly sought after, even if it's just for parts they don't make anymore, it shouldn't be allowed that they get scrapped too. Most Classic cars only come out a few times a year for shows etc anyway so contribute very little to pollution levels.

trollbait 08-22-2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JockoT (Post 195890)
Without a doubt, but when motor manufacturers do it you have to suspect an ulterior motive.

Collect underpants
?
Profit

Yeah, I was wondering about that earlier today. Perhaps they figure this will increase demand on new cars in time, or they can write the cars' value off for tax time.
They are free to strip them parts if it isn't for tax credits or some such. And also to send classics and collectibles to auction.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 195895)
Yea but the really old ones, the rare Classics that are highly sought after, even if it's just for parts they don't make anymore, it shouldn't be allowed that they get scrapped too. Most Classic cars only come out a few times a year for shows etc anyway so contribute very little to pollution levels.

Blame the owners trading them in, or their market value as parts cars.
It is a shame, but we can't expect government to take care of everything. Reducing pollution and stimulating the economy are good goals for such a program.

I don't know about not contributing to pollution much. A hot rod passed by us in a parking lot, and you could smell gasoline coming off the carb. The reason why we have reformulated gas that reduces fuel efficiency is just because there are carbureted and early fuel injected cars still being used on the road regularly.

ChewChewTrain 08-22-2017 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDB (Post 195888)
Many people are too stupid for their own good. It begs a political comparison but I'll refrain.

I'll bite. Speak your mind, LDB!

LDB 08-22-2017 07:34 PM

Nah. I'll save it for another time when it begs even louder.

JockoT 08-22-2017 09:54 PM

Trump that, if you can.

ChewChewTrain 08-26-2017 11:23 AM

A friend got a similar scam from Honda wanting to "buy" her car. She thought her 2007 Fit was in short supply. Little did she know that it was a trade-in offer to sell her a new car. (Look. If they put up with me in bed, intelligence is the least of my concerns.)

Draigflag 08-29-2017 06:11 AM

Hyundai just announced a scrappage scheme for cars registered before December 2009, with up to £5000 off selected models. Sadly, there's only £2000 off the ioniq EV, but better than a kick in the teeth.

R.I.D.E. 08-29-2017 07:51 AM

Yeah I really need a new pickup truck, instead of my 37 model year old Toyota. I'm sure that new truck will easily handle a tank of fuel maybe every 4 months, with the battery holding a charge for months without being started.

Yep I MUST run out and spend 40 grand to replace my "free" clunker. Sadly, if I go for antique tags, it's friggin illegal to haul anything in the bed. Such a brilliant rule.

That means annual registration, versus permanent, property taxes, versus none, and other fees and crap the govt likes to sneak in there to extort my hard earned life savings.

I talked it over with my brother and I'll leave it in his name and insurance, paying him the cost annually. Otherwise I would have to pay $135 for the title to be transferred, on a gift. Maybe I'll build a camper tent for the bed, LOL.

I smell the unburned hydrocarbons on almost every old carbureted car I see on the road. You wont smell that behind my truck and it still gets 23 mpg, about the same as a new one. I guess the idea of actually tuning a carbureted car properly is as lost as the knowledge of what a set of points is at the motorcycle dealership's parts department.

Note to car companies:

If you want my business make something that is truly an improvement, especially after 37 years on the road. What an astounding idea, versus calling a cash discount an incentive.

Like my Mirage.

R.I.D.E. 08-29-2017 07:56 AM

It would be disastrous for the US car market to scrap everything over 7 years old. It would mean the average car would be 3.5 years old, versus close to the 11 years it is now.

Hades, they finance them that long here, just make your last payment and drive it to the crusher. Great for them, death for a large segment of the auto industry that keeps them on the road. I seriously question the actual percentage of global emissions they would eliminate, considering every single source in total.

Draigflag 08-29-2017 08:35 AM

The almost 100,000,000 cars and commercial vehicles produced last year suggests that quite a few people still want new cars. And if you missed the improvements to aerodynamics, design, build quality, refinement, practicality, reliability, performance, efficiency, emission control, road holding and handling ability, safety, and everything else in the last 37 years, you must have been living under a rock no?

trollbait 08-29-2017 08:53 AM

The fact that carbureted cars are still running around is part of the reason for reformulated gas blends, and support oxygenates like ethanol.

R.I.D.E. 08-29-2017 02:30 PM

1000 miles on the bike at 80+ us, 100 + brit. There is my "rock". How about yours LOL, you HAD an Insight, great MPG and emissions. I averaged 68 us in my 2002 with the CVT. Last thing I did with the truck was pick up the bike.

For it's very limited purpose and use my truck is perfect.

Draigflag 08-29-2017 10:11 PM

Oh so now you're comparing a bike to a truck? Just so you know, 100 MPG is easily achievable in a modern small diesel, as has been proven numerous times by the likes of Honda, Peugeot etc.

R.I.D.E. 08-31-2017 07:27 AM

It must be sad being irrelevant. Try a bike if you want "fun".

Draigflag 08-31-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. (Post 195971)
It must be sad being irrelevant. Try a bike if you want "fun".

You tell me buddy, you somehow work into every topic how "relevant" your 3 cents cost per mile is, like anyone cares, like it's something to be proud of. You should be ashamed to be so boring, not proud haha

R.I.D.E. 08-31-2017 06:21 PM

Actually the car is 3.4 right now with the bike at 2.5. Funny, I looked around and did not see anyone advocating wasting fuel. Maybe they have a "Blow it out your tailpipe forum" somewhere. As far as how you are qualified to judge my life and happiness, maybe you can start your own column, under the heading "I know how bad your life is and it's because I have divine insight into the lives of others when I am not trying to embalm myself at one of my nine local pubs within walking distance" on the "Blow it out your tailpipe" forum :lol:

Draigflag 08-31-2017 10:05 PM

Nah I already checked lol.

Draigflag 09-01-2017 03:39 AM

And now VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda, and Renault have launched a scrappage scheme too.

VW Audi Seat Skoda and Renault launch scrappage schemes | Next Green Car

Draigflag 09-02-2017 12:07 AM

The VW scrappage scheme would seem the pick of the bunch, up to £10,000 off the fully electric golf if you trade in an old diesel registered before 2009. My bosses parents have an old 2003 Passat TDI which is starting to fall apart, was trying to convince them instead of the £900 they've been offered, they could get £10,000 instead.

Makes the e golf about 50% cheaper than the Tesla Model 3, although its not as desirable in my opinion.

ChewChewTrain 09-02-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 195964)
The almost 100,000,000 cars and commercial vehicles produced last year suggests that quite a few people still want new cars. And if you missed the improvements to aerodynamics, design, build quality, refinement, practicality, reliability, performance, efficiency, emission control, road holding and handling ability, safety, and everything else in the last 37 years, you must have been living under a rock no?

With no aerodynamic mods, my last two tankfuls for my 28y/o Honda Civic were 53+ MPG. All done with pumped up tires, 53mph freeway speeds, and EOC driving finesse. :)

What's new, DraigFlag/Paul?

trollbait 09-02-2017 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain (Post 195983)
With no aerodynamic mods, my last two tankfuls for my 28y/o Honda Civic were 53+ MPG. All done with pumped up tires, 53mph freeway speeds, and EOC driving finesse. :)

What's new, DraigFlag/Paul?

And in a new Prius you would likely get over 60mpg without the work and hassle of a manual and EOCing. As a plus, you'd more likely escape an accident with less injury with better chance of surviving.

ChewChewTrain 09-02-2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollbait (Post 195986)
And in a new Prius you would likely get over 60mpg without the work and hassle of a manual and EOCing. As a plus, you'd more likely escape an accident with less injury with better chance of surviving.

"LIKELY" get over 60mpg? Nope. A simple vehicle research on Fuelly proves your statement nonsense.

Jcp385 09-02-2017 04:21 PM

Takes perfectly decent used vehicles off the market, driving up prices for used vehicles. Sure, fuel efficient vehicles seems directly affected, but with an overall shrunken supply of used vehicles, prices will necessarily rise. It becomes regressive when all is said and done.

trollbait 09-02-2017 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain (Post 195987)
"LIKELY" get over 60mpg? Nope. A simple vehicle research on Fuelly proves your statement nonsense.

My statement was in the basis of what you would get.

The 2016 Prius will return around 75mpg at steady speeds of your 53mph limit.
Steady State Speed vs Fuel Economy results | Page 8 | CleanMPG

Your near 47mpg average in the Civic puts you at the top of the filtered results here. 1989 Honda Civic MPG - Actual MPG from 42 1989 Honda Civic owners So you getting near the top of 2016 Prius results isn't too much of a stretch.2016 Toyota Prius MPG - Actual MPG from 231 2016 Toyota Prius owners

Looking at the EPA numbers for both cars, you are getting over 150% of the combined value in the Civic. Getting over 70mpg in a Prius is likely possible for you.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...=5389&id=37163

Draigflag 09-02-2017 11:57 PM

And Doug, using your "techniques" or driving style, you'd likely get over 100 UK MPG in the Civic diesel like these guys did, not just on a "trip" but over 8000 miles and 24 countries. Very impressive.

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2<\/title><path d="M10,3.5l3-3,3,3Z" style="fill:%23fff;stroke:%23fff"/><path d="M0,3.5H10l3-3,3,3H26" style="fill:none;stroke:%231b3a4d"/><\/svg>')}.f_branding_on.blog-group-deadspin .editor-inner.post-content .pu

Draigflag 09-08-2017 03:37 AM

A few more, Peugeot, Citroen, DS, Mazda, Suzuki, they must be desperate to sell cars now.

Peugeot Citroen DS Mazda and Suzuki start scrappage schemes | Next Green Car

R.I.D.E. 09-08-2017 02:00 PM

Picked up a 2001 Toyota Echo today for $850. 16 years old and still capable of great mileage if driven properly, low 50s US-60 Brit. Just under 200k miles, right quarter banged up in front of the wheel well. Needs right outer CV boot, right rear shock and some other minor things. Undercarriage looks like new, engine compartment dry, no leaks, amazing for a 17 year old car. Tires are new, drives good with a little bunny hop for a clutch disc swap, probably a cheap disc.

Manual steering, factory air, probably needs a little juice.

I had one before, without AC and there was no way to practically add an AC after market.

Made in Japan.

LDB 09-08-2017 04:01 PM

There will be many dozens of thousands of cars scrapped around here. They take them out by the truckload. Florida will likely soon follow suit.

Jcp385 09-11-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. (Post 196060)
Picked up a 2001 Toyota Echo today for $850. 16 years old and still capable of great mileage if driven properly, low 50s US-60 Brit. Just under 200k miles, right quarter banged up in front of the wheel well. Needs right outer CV boot, right rear shock and some other minor things. Undercarriage looks like new, engine compartment dry, no leaks, amazing for a 17 year old car. Tires are new, drives good with a little bunny hop for a clutch disc swap, probably a cheap disc.

I had one before, without AC and there was no way to practically add an AC after market.

Made in Japan.

From one former Echo owner to another - you'll do fine with that car :D

Draigflag 09-11-2017 01:53 PM

What's not clear is if the cars traded in have to be scrapped as per the old scheme. My mums car has just 21,000 miles on it, not worth much, but it could be a good time to buy a new car. Would be a shame to scrap a car that's almost like new though.

R.I.D.E. 09-12-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. (Post 196060)

Made in Japan.

Clutch is fine, just sitting for a while, engagement point is just off the floor-non adjustable, just like a new one, talk about luck!. Seller delivered it to my house today. He was going to the DC area to pick up a Van 4x4 conversion project. Saved me almost 200 miles driving. Numerous stains and animal hair. Time for the simple green treatment followed up with a scrub brush and shop vac. Tossed some Techron in the tank to clean the injectors, should kill the CEL for rolling misfire, feels fine to me now. I might even transfer the tags from the Mirage and give it a rest for a few months.

Scrap a car with 21k miles? This one has ten times that and will run just like it did when it rolled off the showroom floor very soon.

R.I.D.E. 09-12-2017 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDB (Post 196061)
There will be many dozens of thousands of cars scrapped around here. They take them out by the truckload. Florida will likely soon follow suit.

And some felon will find a way to sell them to unsuspecting buyers as they have always done. I remember a 72 Barracuda in water up to 6 inches from the top of the roof, brand new car, never sold. Those parts may still be "floating around", 44 years later:lol: