Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   need feedback on a website (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/need-feedback-on-a-website-1978.html)

Matt Timion 04-18-2006 12:05 PM

need feedback on a website

I'm in the pre-planning stages of a new website. I'll keep the concept out of the public forum, but I'll disclose it to anyone who wants to know via PM.

The problem I'm having is that the domain name I want is already taken, even though it's not used.

The .net and .org versions of that name are not taken.

Would you be any less likely to visit a .net over a .com site?

another option is to place a hyphen in the name, much like www.honda-tech.com.

I'm looking just for feedback, and I apologize for being vague. I'll give people more info if you PM me.

Compaq888 04-19-2006 01:46 AM

.com is so much easier.

.com is so much easier. Maybe change the name of the site so you can use .com??

molecule 04-19-2006 03:20 AM

its purely a mental

its purely a mental thing...
if the site is interesting enough...
it doesn't even matter what its called...
i used to visit a site based in .lt years and years ago...
give me a minute and i bet i can come up with the series of numbers and letters...
its all about people wanting to get there...

alot of people bookmark and rename just to create deviations for themselves...
so...all in all...its a combination...
a little catchy doesn't hurt...but no need to spend a few years tracking down the owner of an owned website...
especially with the bigger domains "owning" your site name already...
once they find out there is interest thru multiple requests for that domain....all of a sudden their price is up to buy it off them...

rh77 04-20-2006 03:15 PM

.ORG

I think the .org suffix works out well for the idea that it's a Scientific, open-minded forum. .com instills images of sales pitches, and ads galore (commercial). .net is in-between.

When I mention gassavers.ORG to most people, they take it more seriously than if it where another suffix.

RH77

SVOboy 04-20-2006 03:36 PM

.org over .net was my

.org over .net was my preference when matt and I were discussing the site before it began. :)

kickflipjr 04-21-2006 04:20 AM

Quote:discussing the site

Quote:

discussing the site before it began.
So how did you know matt before the site opened?

.org is fine. I don't really like hypened site names. If a website has an esay to remember name there is better chance i will visit it more then once(or get in the habit of visiting it). Well i would bookmark the site if it looked really interesting.

GasSavers_DaX 04-21-2006 07:55 AM

Man there are some crazy

Man there are some crazy suffixes out there though - .biz has to be the worst! I hear a .biz site and think that you'll probably be flooded with pop-ups by going there!

SVOboy 04-21-2006 08:01 AM

Quote:So how did you know

Quote:

So how did you know matt before the site opened?
Saw him on honda-tech when he first got on and was trying to improve his gas mileage, :p