Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   High or low gear? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/high-or-low-gear-20035.html)

trollbait 05-01-2018 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JockoT (Post 198031)
I have never driven a car with all these fancy gadgets (at least not that I was aware of). I was taught to do a handbrake hill start and have never had a problem with it. This is the first manual transmission car I have owned with more than 4 gears. For about the first 10 years of my driving I only drove 3 speed transmissions. I found 4 a bit of a handful to begin with!

I didn't even know Toyota had hill start assist until after I got rid of the Matrix and Prius.

Draigflag 05-01-2018 10:50 AM

Nah its a traditional auto, CVTS are even worse, hate the things, don't care how clever or efficient they are, they ruin cars full stop! The one in her new car is also a conventional auto but with optional flappy paddle gear shifters too.

I've just driven back from Cardiff in a brand new Audi with a DSG box, that wasn't a nice experience either, I'm really struggling to see why these gearboxes are becoming popular other than high traffic situations or medical reasons, but each to thier own I guess...

JockoT 05-01-2018 12:01 PM

I love traditional hydraulic automatic transmissions. I started with a Carlton, back in 1990, then a Cavalier, then the Volvo S40. 25 years in all, before going back to a manual. The Vauxhalls had a Sport button, which I seldom used. I would have loved to have used it all the time but it drank petrol in that format. I was not averse to using the gear lever when circumstances required it, but most of the time I just left it in Drive. But no doubt about it, in a slow moving queue of traffic (often a couple of miles to cross the Forth bridges), an automatic is worth its weight in gold.

litesong 08-06-2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JockoT (Post 198038)
.... going back to a manual.... in a slow moving queue of traffic...... an automatic is worth its weight in gold.

& a CVT is even better in stop & go traffic.... also, works well on mountain passes with a wide variety of slopes. As my CVT aged, I said I don't want big bills if & when the CVT quit. As you did, I went back to two manuals...an Hyundai Accent & an Elantra.

JockoT 08-06-2018 09:49 PM

I tried a Honda Jazz CVT and I found it too "busy" for my liking. It was only a test drive, so things may have got better with experience. I like the old style hydraulic transmission, with a torque converter. The two GM motors I owned had that set up, as did my Volvo. I did over 250,000 miles with no issues, and the two GM cars had over 100,000 miles on the clock when I acquired them.

Jcp385 08-19-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 198037)
I'm really struggling to see why these gearboxes are becoming popular other than high traffic situations or medical reasons, but each to thier own I guess...

That's hilarious! My aunt in Austria told me once that automatics are for "old and disabled people". Yeah, she's a blunt one.

I've found that it's most often helpful to stay in the highest gear possible.