Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Electric Clothes Dryers (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/electric-clothes-dryers-2010.html)

GasSavers_James 04-26-2006 09:22 AM

Electric Clothes Dryers

Electric Clothes Dryers guzzle a lot of electricity. I think they use about 3K-4K watts. It is a little more work, but I hang the laundry outside on a clothesline on a good day.

thisisntjared 04-26-2006 09:30 AM

that sucks when it rains,

that sucks when it rains, when my family was building an addition on their house the drier was disabled for 3 months. it sucks. just get solar panels and the electric drier.

Matt Timion 04-26-2006 09:32 AM

This is something I would

This is something I would consider doing if I lived in Las Vegas or Arizona... hell, even Southern California would be suitable.

Up here in the mountains though we have winters that last 6 months. Just last weekend I cut down my clothesline because it was just getting in the way.

GasSavers_DaX 04-26-2006 11:37 AM

I am getting ready to buy a

I am getting ready to buy a house and I recently got a fairly new gas dryer for a good deal. Should I keep it (if the house I buy has a gas hookup) or should I hawk it on Craigs List and get an electric dryer?

Matt Timion 04-26-2006 12:03 PM

Re: I am getting ready to buy a

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
I am getting ready to buy a house and I recently got a fairly new gas dryer for a good deal. Should I keep it (if the house I buy has a gas hookup) or should I hawk it on Craigs List and get an electric dryer?

If I were you i'd investigate the cost of operation for both. Odds are that the gas dryer is going to be cheaper to run for a long time.

GasSavers_Ryland 04-27-2006 10:02 PM

natural gas is one of the

natural gas is one of the fuels used to produce electricity, 2/3's of the electricity is lost in the power lines, transformers, and controles that get it to you, you can burn that natural gas 300 miles away, or you can burn it 15 feet away, the power compeny gets a better price then you do of course, but from everything I have heard, it's still cheaper for you to burn a fuel to produce heat, then it is to pay some else to burn that same fuel, turn it to electricty, loose alot of it along the way, then run it thru basicly a fancy toster wire, to heat air to heat your cloths to dry them.
also, even if you can't dry your cloths out side 6 months out of the year, doesn't meen you shouldn't 6 months of the year, the energy it takes to dry cloths on a cloths line is exreamly small, it's some wire, or rope, one use comes close to paying for it, two uses and you are getting a good deal, three and you are saving money, and fuel, and not heating your house in warm weather, or making it more humid in humid weather, and you get to spend more time out side.
adding a gas line is not hard either.