Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   So which air filters are the best???? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/so-which-air-filters-are-the-best-2035.html)

Compaq888 04-30-2006 06:38 PM

So which air filters are the best????

I thought I saw metrompg post a pic of all the filters and it was so weird brand that was the best.

My air filters keep getting dirty too quick. After 5-6k I have to get a new filter. Any recommendations??? I can get a new nissan filter for about $7.50 but they get dirty quick and so does the Fram crap. My engine sucks in air like crazy.

SVOboy 04-30-2006 07:06 PM

If you get a worse filter it

If you get a worse filter it will take more time to get dirty.

Compaq888 04-30-2006 07:08 PM

Re: If you get a worse filter it

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
If you get a worse filter it will take more time to get dirty.

so I'm getting the best filters?

SVOboy 04-30-2006 07:13 PM

Possibly. I friend with a

Possibly. I friend with a f150 found a dyno test with 12 filters and ac delco was the best and k&n was the worst. And metro's graph confirms the bad filtering capabilities of the k&n (if we are to believe it).

Compaq888 04-30-2006 07:19 PM

Re: Possibly. I friend with a

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Possibly. I friend with a f150 found a dyno test with 12 filters and ac delco was the best and k&n was the worst. And metro's graph confirms the bad filtering capabilities of the k&n (if we are to believe it).

but did the ac delco filter out good?

SVOboy 04-30-2006 07:22 PM

It's considered an OE

It's considered an OE replacement, I believe, so it's around the stock filtering quality. I just hit my dirt out on the driveway and it's mostly all gone, :p

Compaq888 04-30-2006 07:26 PM

So if my nissan filter gets

So if my nissan filter gets dirty after 4-5 months and I see the best mpg with it then I should keep with it?

also what could be causing it to get dirty so fast, even if it's good at filtering something else must be wrong?

SVOboy 04-30-2006 07:28 PM

I can't honestly say why so

I can't honestly say why so fast. Mine's sposed to be changed every 15k miles, and I haven't even looked at it since I first bought the car, mehbe I will.

Compaq888 04-30-2006 07:33 PM

I'll be changing my engine

I'll be changing my engine temp. sensor which control closed loop, amount of fuel being dumped, when the fans turn on and off and some other things I don't know about.

Maybe the sensor has something to do how much the engine sucks air???

GasSavers_Ryland 04-30-2006 09:18 PM

I have a sweeeet foam filter

I have a sweeeet foam filter simaler to what amsoil used to sell, they now sell a "micro fiber" filter that you just blow out with compressed air that is suposed to do as good if not better of a job at collecting dirt then normal paper, with a higher air flow, or so they say.
I haven't noticed any differnce in mpg gains with paper over the foam, but I like that I can wash my foam filter, re-oil it, and not have the cost or extra trip to the store to buy a new one.

Compaq888 04-30-2006 09:59 PM

Re: I have a sweeeet foam filter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland
I have a sweeeet foam filter simaler to what amsoil used to sell, they now sell a "micro fiber" filter that you just blow out with compressed air that is suposed to do as good if not better of a job at collecting dirt then normal paper, with a higher air flow, or so they say.
I haven't noticed any differnce in mpg gains with paper over the foam, but I like that I can wash my foam filter, re-oil it, and not have the cost or extra trip to the store to buy a new one.

Do you have a link where I can get one???
I used to have an Injen filter, it stayed clean but it let in too much air and my car compinsated with more fuel. Do these filters let in a lot more air?

krousdb 05-01-2006 01:47 AM

I replaced the Prius filter

I replaced the Prius filter at about 45k miles. I kept it clean by using a shop vac to remove the dirt every 5k miles or so.

The Del Sol filter was clean when I bought it and 4k miles later it is still spotless. Im wondering if the left coast is dustier? Maybe it's the smog?

Compaq888 05-01-2006 05:47 AM

Re: I replaced the Prius filter

Quote:

Originally Posted by krousdb
I replaced the Prius filter at about 45k miles. I kept it clean by using a shop vac to remove the dirt every 5k miles or so.

The Del Sol filter was clean when I bought it and 4k miles later it is still spotless. Im wondering if the left coast is dustier? Maybe it's the smog?

I doubt it's the smog. But I don't know what it is. Like 100 miles ago I had to flip the filter because the spot that absorbs the most air was black. The whole filter doesn't get dirty, only the spot where the air passes to go into the MAF

krousdb 05-01-2006 06:09 AM

Re: I replaced the Prius filter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
I doubt it's the smog. But I don't know what it is. Like 100 miles ago I had to flip the filter because the spot that absorbs the most air was black. The whole filter doesn't get dirty, only the spot where the air passes to go into the MAF

When you say black, do you really mean black or gray or what? Can you lighten the color with suction from a vacuum cleaner or does it stay the same color. I'm thinking it might be oil or something else being picked up at the intake.

Compaq888 05-01-2006 06:26 AM

The intake hose goes to the

The intake hose goes to the left headlight and sits behind it. So when air goes under the headlight it finds it's way to the intake hose. That spot behind the headlight is clean. The filter is gray. Can't be cleaned off with a a vaccum.

rh77 05-01-2006 12:07 PM

Intake Restriction vs. FE

OK, so I hear that replacing a dirty filter will improve FE; however, I have a restrictor device that blocks the flow of intake air considerably, and I seem to be getting better mileage due to forced, slower acceleration. Am I killing the potential for better FE on the highway?

RH77

Compaq888 05-01-2006 01:08 PM

a air filter is already a

a air filter is already a good restrictor. Performance air filters like K&N, Injen, and etc let too much air in and the engine compansates with fuel. Just use oem filters which have more restrction but they give the best results.

I was just looking for a filter that would filter out the same as the nissan filter but get dirty slower.

diamondlarry 05-01-2006 01:31 PM

Re: I have a sweeeet foam filter

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland

Do you have a link where I can get one???
I used to have an Injen filter, it stayed clean but it let in too much air and my car compinsated with more fuel. Do these filters let in a lot more air?

I want to start this reply by saying that I am NOT an Amsoil dealer but am what they call a "preferred customer." This means I get a price break but don't make any profit. That aside, I can look up a price for the new Amsoil filter if you would like. I have to eat supper now so I'll post some prices in a little while.

n0rt0npr0 05-01-2006 02:10 PM

Re: a air filter is already a

Really Complicated. Spend some time at the store counting the filter pleats of the different brands that are offered. The more pleats, the slower the filter will get dirty.

Quote:

a air filter is already a good restrictor. Performance air filters like K&N, Injen, and etc let too much air in and the engine compansates with fuel. Just use oem filters which have more restrction but they give the best results.

I was just looking for a filter that would filter out the same as the nissan filter but get dirty slower.

philmcneal 05-01-2006 02:52 PM

is it hard to change an air

is it hard to change an air filter these days?

SVOboy 05-01-2006 03:31 PM

Quote:is it hard to change

Quote:

is it hard to change an air filter these days?
Did my friend's 03 civic and it was a piece of cake. 4 screws.

diamondlarry 05-01-2006 03:50 PM

The cost for an Amsoil air

The cost for an Amsoil air filter for a '99 Nissan Altima is $26.00. They are good for 4 yers/100,000 miles. It works out to about $9.53/year over it's lifetime.

Compaq888 05-02-2006 12:24 AM

Re: The cost for an Amsoil air

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondlarry
The cost for an Amsoil air filter for a '99 Nissan Altima is $26.00. They are good for 4 yers/100,000 miles. It works out to about $9.53/year over it's lifetime.

The important question I have for you is are you using an Amsoil air filter???

And how long you had the same filter in your car and how often you clean it and how you clean it?

GasSavers_Ryland 05-02-2006 07:07 AM

I clean my foam filter every

I clean my foam filter every time I think of it, about 5,000 miles, and have a paper filter that I slip in when I'm cleaning it as with foam filters you wash it with soap and water, dry it, and re-oil it with high-tac filter oil, so it's best to have the filter out of the car for a few days.
I personaly like the idea of the foam, it has a few differnt layers, going from corse to fine, and I figure it must be doing a good job of getting grit out, as the car still has 185psi + or - about 5psi acrose all the cylenders, and it's the origonal engine with 221,000 miles, and have found that useing foam filters on my motorcycles leaves the carburators much cleaner, as I understand it, foam filters are not standerd because they cost a little more, amaricans don't like things that are washed, and reused (recycle your bottles, don't buy returnable) and there is less to mess up if you just replace the part with a new one.
I can't tell exactly how much restriction it has, as I don't have a good way to compare it, the printing on the filter is gone now, but I think it was something like a True-Flow, only it doesn't look exactly like what they are selling now under that brand name.

diamondlarry 05-02-2006 11:43 AM

Re: The cost for an Amsoil air

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondlarry

The important question I have for you is are you using an Amsoil air filter???

And how long you had the same filter in your car and how often you clean it and how you clean it?

Yes, I got one of thier foam air filters soon after I got the car. I have cleaned probably 3 times.(?)

rh77 05-02-2006 02:38 PM

Re: Intake Restriction vs. FE

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77
OK, so I hear that replacing a dirty filter will improve FE; however, I have a restrictor device that blocks the flow of intake air considerably, and I seem to be getting better mileage due to forced, slower acceleration. Am I killing the potential for better FE on the highway?

RH77

Yes, I'm quoting myself -- any ideas on air restriction before combustion vs. FE???

diamondlarry 05-02-2006 03:19 PM

Re: Intake Restriction vs. FE

Quote:

Quote:

RH77

Yes, I'm quoting myself -- any ideas on air restriction before combustion vs. FE???

It sort of makes sense. With increased velocity of oncoming air I think it may promote swirling in the cylinder. Air rushing in so fast may slam against the opposite side of the combustion chamber and cause turbulence? :? I suppose it's possible that there could be a limt to how much you could restrict airflow before FE could start to drop.

rh77 05-02-2006 06:47 PM

May have to experiment

I may do a small experiment to see what works -- it seems to be a lot like exhaust backpressure, which varies by car and isn't fully understood. All kinds of advice from the EPA on down to the filter manufacturers say to change the dirty air filter and get better gas mileage: read restriction. I might try a small trial this week to see what happens (depending on the weather -- lots of rain predicted). The current restriction is down to about the size of a quarter with air temps ranging (I really need a grille block) -- and I've maintained MPGs in the low-30's. It definitely requires more pedal pressure, which the auto-trans doesn't agree-with on really hot days and/or with the A/C running.

RH77

VetteOwner 03-18-2007 10:02 AM

hmm i have a high flow intake on my truck... i wonder if i put back my stock air struff i would see better MPG. (im getting 25mpg witha 2.2L 5speed s-10) deff worth a try IMO

GasSavers_Red 03-18-2007 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteOwner (Post 44215)
hmm i have a high flow intake on my truck... i wonder if i put back my stock air struff i would see better MPG. (im getting 25mpg witha 2.2L 5speed s-10) deff worth a try IMO

I'd be interested in the results :thumbup: