Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Staying cool without AC (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/staying-cool-without-ac-2037.html)

kickflipjr 04-30-2006 07:03 PM

Staying cool without AC

Was just wondering if anyone has tips on staying cool without air conditioning. I guess tinted windows, parking in the shade, and driving a white car would help.

SVOboy 04-30-2006 07:12 PM

Yeah, my black interior

Yeah, my black interior doesn't help. I leave my windows all the way down during the day and then blast the air when driving. Doesn't help at all, but I don't care if I overheat after school, *shrug*

kickflipjr 04-30-2006 07:32 PM

when it is +90 out I will

when it is +90 out I will just have to deal with it. They did a mythbuster on white and black cars. I think there was a 5 degree difference.

MetroMPG 04-30-2006 07:37 PM

get a wood bead seat

get a wood bead seat cover.

seriously.

i've never had a/c (though i do live in ontario where i can normally count the number of 90+F / high humidity days each year on all my fingers and toes).

i actually call it my "air conditioning", as in, "it's hot today, better get out the air conditioning."

the thing is it keeps you from sticking to the seat, and lets some air flow behind and underneath you. i find the sticky back is the worst part.

we'll see how it goes this summer - this will be my first year with a BLACK car. and these metros have a high glass area:interior volume ratio, so they heat up fast. (way faster than my old accord anyway)

SVOboy 04-30-2006 07:37 PM

Well, all I know is my car

Well, all I know is my car is much hotter than my mother's car, and that the screwdrive I left on my seat yesterday burnt a mark into my hand.

SVOboy 04-30-2006 07:38 PM

Quote:and these metros have

Quote:

and these metros have a high glass:interior volume ratio, so they heat up fast. (way faster than my old accord anyway)
That might be my issue, actually. Tons of glass, very little room (though very comfortable).

kickflipjr 04-30-2006 07:43 PM

Yeah it turns your car into

Yeah it turns your car into a greenhouse svo

SVOboy 04-30-2006 07:44 PM

Eh, I suck.

Eh, I suck.

Compaq888 04-30-2006 07:49 PM

I never use the AC, at all.

I never use the AC, at all. The only time I use it when I give somebody a ride, they start complaining and I have to turn the AC on. If I didn't have the AC on the trip to vegas and drove 65mph I would of hit 40mpg for sure.

People that are fat or not trained get very hot and have to use the AC. I don't go to the point where I sweat or I'm extremly cold but I have ways of warming up quick and cooling off without cracking the window or using the AC. Pumping up tires at 1am in the morning made it easier for me against the cold. I changed my breathing techniques so I don't require a lot of oxygen. I know this because I can have my room's window closed for months and never get dizzy. The only time I open it is to get the new air in. I haven't run my AC for like a year unless somebody is in the car with me and they want oxygen.

Compaq888 04-30-2006 07:50 PM

Also I sweat a lot less and

Also I sweat a lot less and I can take higher temps much easier.