Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Electric and Solar powered (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Researching PHEV (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f18/researching-phev-20572.html)

LDB 06-12-2019 07:52 PM

Researching PHEV

The tax credits and my driving habits have me researching Toyota Prius Prime and Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid. I've driven about 6050 miles in the last year, exactly 1 year today actually. Other than maybe 5-6 times a year when I drive around 40 miles each way to meet family for lunch I drive far less than the 25 or so miles electric range of those cars. I've got to research local electric rates and whether there are any programs for vehicle charging at special rates.

Draigflag 06-12-2019 11:11 PM

With such low mileage, and fuel cheaper than water, would it really be worth all the extra costs for you? It's not like you drive a gas guzzler at the moment anyway.

JockoT 06-12-2019 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDB (Post 199859)
Other than maybe 5-6 times a year when I drive around 40 miles each way to meet family for lunch I drive far less than the 25 or so miles

I would be inclined to go BEV with that usage. You could charge up overnight. I am looking at the Hyundai KONA.
Link to UK site just for info.
https://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/kona-electric

Draigflag 06-13-2019 06:13 AM

I do like the Kona, it's a good car..... but the petrol head inside me can't help but think an Aston Martin DB9 convertible with £6500 change towards petrol would be way more fun, especially when you factor in almost ZERO depreciation, the cost over 3 years would probably be less than a new EV.

trollbait 06-13-2019 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 199860)
With such low mileage, and fuel cheaper than water, would it really be worth all the extra costs for you? It's not like you drive a gas guzzler at the moment anyway.

With the various incentives, a Prius Prime can be had here for less than the Prius. Still have a steep depreciation hit on the Accord though.

I second the BEV, but get wanting to stick with just one car. Lots of good info over at Priuschat, and several members that have left the brand for other plug ins have stuck around. At least one got an Ioniq PHEV.

I know Honda has maintenance timer lie GM's that account for actual engine use. The Volt's will go up to two years before calling for an oil change. Toyota's is a simple odometer timer, and they call for the same oil change interval 0f 10k miles or 1 year in all their cars; ICE, hybrid, and PHEV. So you may be changing the oil more often than you are now. Completely unfamiliar on how Hyundai handles it.

LDB 06-13-2019 10:34 AM

Another major factor for me is heat elimination. I'm also looking at the Hyundai Sonata with Blue Link. If I understand correctly I could start the car and A/C with my phone. The Prius I had would do that but only with a fob button so it was fairly limiting in options. This I believe works from any distance. I've got to learn a bit more about it.

luv2spd 06-13-2019 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Toyota Prius Prime does come with a carbon fiber hatch, which is kind of cool.

trollbait 06-14-2019 09:50 AM

And also a distinct, double wave rear window.

The Ioniq PHEV only loses half the hatch space from the hybrid model compared to the Prime.

LDB 06-15-2019 06:10 AM

I've decided the cost is just too high on anything that plugs in to justify my getting one. I'm looking at a Hyundai Elantra. It has their Blue Link system so I can start the car and turn the A/C on full blast before going out to the car. That should solve my heat frustration.

JockoT 06-15-2019 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDB (Post 199869)
That should solve my heat frustration.

Your heat frustration. I don't even have air con. Mind you, I don't live in Texas.