Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Diesels (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   why are freightliner mpg reports wildly different (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f12/why-are-freightliner-mpg-reports-wildly-different-21065.html)

thejapester 07-05-2020 08:28 AM

why are freightliner mpg reports wildly different

Hi folks,

We're considering the purchase of a 2015 Freightliner 3500 4WD, so I came here to see what kind of MPG it might get. The results I'm seeing are anywhere from 5 MPG to 23 MPG. Any thoughts on why people's results are so varied?

JockoT 07-05-2020 11:26 AM

Welcome. Some of the information supplied by Fuelly members is dross and skew the results. Look for figures that are from a number of top-ups (the more the better) and disregard those that are at the extremes of the range.
With a van, there is also the load it carries. Some vans are fully laden all the time (My son-in-law's is a mobile workshop, so is always fully laden).
With AWD a vehicle may be used off-road most of the time such as in a quarry or mine environment. All these have a huge effect on mpg.

LDB 07-05-2020 12:01 PM

Have you also looked at the Mercedes listings? I believe they are basically identical other than trim pieces.

EddWick 10-14-2020 02:42 AM

Where may he find these listings?

LDB 10-14-2020 04:33 AM

Top right of the page. "Research Vehicles". Then scroll through and choose whatever ones you want to look into.

84130e12e6 12-19-2021 11:34 AM

This is probably a daft question but I have a 2005 Golf GTI, will it be okay running the car on E10 fuel. Ive used the government tool, I’m unsure if VW do anything weird like manufacture the engine late 2004 but use it in 2005. Also what are the pros and cons of using E10, I know it’s supposed to be better for the environment.

JockoT 12-19-2021 12:35 PM

According to the UK site, your Golf GTI is quite happy on E10.

Draigflag 12-20-2021 01:46 PM

A GTI is more performance oriented, you'd be better using higher octane fuel in my opinion, which is still E5, at least that's the case here. Yea I pay alot more for it, but you get better MPG than E10, better performance, and the comparability issue isn't a thing either then.

trollbait 12-21-2021 09:50 AM

In the US, if the regular is E10, the premium is likely E10. Good news, the ethanol might give a slight octane boost over the straight gas.

The US has added ethanol to the gasoline at times going back to the '70s, maybe even farther back. Ford was pushing it for higher octane before we all fell for the lead scam. Very few cars on the road today should have an issue with E10.

Now, if the VW was running straight gas until now, there could be an issue with the ethanol loosening up any gunk build up in the tank. But I haven't actually heard of it being a problem.

Airstreamer67 12-22-2021 04:11 AM

In the US, at least in my area, regular gasoline is E10. However, some stations do have E0 regular at a bit higher price, which I will buy if it's available at a station when I need fuel.

Although I don't use it, I have read several times that premium gasoline is generally E0.

I believe ethanol is still supported via tax subsidies. I don't like it, mostly because the shelf life of E10 is limited to something like three months or so; any longer than that it needs to be treated with something like StaBil.