Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Hi to everyone, from Chevy Aveo Owner (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/hi-to-everyone-from-chevy-aveo-owner-2109.html)

tvent 05-15-2006 06:22 PM

Hi to everyone, from Chevy Aveo Owner

I've been interested in getting better mpg since I bought my 05' Chevy Aveo this summer, keeping mpg of every tank of gas. So far my highest is 36mpg and in the city I've been getting in the mid 20s. Hope to log my numbers online soon. Have not done anything to the car except routine maintenance. I want to try a few mods to improve mpg. I'm considering k&n air filter, performance spark plugs, low resistance spark plug wires. Before I do all this does anyone have suggestions for other mods that I should consider? I don't want to get to crazy with the mods, but I will consider something about as technical as what I mentioned above.

SVOboy 05-15-2006 06:29 PM

Quote:I'm considering k&n

Quote:

I'm considering k&n air filter
Tested by a member (extensively) to no improvement or a loss.

Quote:

performance spark plugs
No one has done serious testing on this except for diamondlarry, I will do some soon enough, but not too soon, :p

Quote:

ow resistance spark plug wires
This would interest me to know.

Do you have a scangauge? That's the first thing you need! Is it auto or manual?

kickflipjr 05-15-2006 06:32 PM

Welcome to the forums. Is

Welcome to the forums. Is your car (manual /auto tranny) (hackback/ sedan)? My dad has been getting around 30mpg in his 5speed aveo (mixed conditions / no attempt to drive fuel efficiently).

I would recomend you get a scangauge or make a hot air intake.

kickflipjr 05-15-2006 06:32 PM

(look how slow i type SVO)

(look how slow i type SVO)

SVOboy 05-15-2006 06:34 PM

Haha, you're still a valued

Haha, you're still a valued member of our forum here.

I forgot though: Welcome!

tvent 05-15-2006 06:36 PM

no scanguage, manual

No scanguage, but I do have a manual tranmission. I've heard of the scanguage, so the big advantage is the realtime mpg read-out? I guess it would be nice to see what driving techniques improve mpg as you do them.

kickflipjr 05-15-2006 06:37 PM

Oh, I will be doing a 1100

Oh, I will be doing a 1100 mile round trip later this week in the aveo. I will be shure to share the results. If it dosen't get 40mpg I will be furious.

SVOboy 05-15-2006 06:38 PM

The ones on this site making

The ones on this site making the amazing numbers are the ones with the real time readout, :p

Also, it helps test for mods, so you know you're not actually making things worse.

tvent 05-15-2006 06:40 PM

a few more details

I've got the hatchback special value model. No air conditioning or power windows, but I did upgrade to a stock mp3 player. So my car isn't just transportation, there's a little entertainment as well.

SVOboy 05-15-2006 06:43 PM

How about power steering!?

How about power steering!?

tvent 05-15-2006 06:52 PM

power steering

Well, making turings isn't to bad, so I'm pretty sure its at least got power steering. So I've been looking at the scanguage II, 164.95, are you sure its worth it? Would be nice to check it mods help.

SVOboy 05-15-2006 06:56 PM

I think it's 130 some

I think it's 130 some places, shop around, I've been meaning to bug matt about selling them through the site...

I paid 160 for my superMID gauge from japan, so I'd say it's worth it, :p

rh77 05-15-2006 07:14 PM

Welcome tvent

Welcome tvent. I'm glad you're here -- actually it's perfectly timed. I review rental cars in this tread: https://www.gassavers.org/forum_topic..._analysis.html and had some inconclusive MPG results on the Aveo. Keep us posted on your progress. The "Gaslog" is a great way to track your progress. Let us know what you think about it so far, odometer reading, etc.

kickflipjr: I think you'll enjoy the ride. My half-brother bought the 5-door new as his Dad has worked for GM for 35+ years and got mega-discounts. He drives quite a few miles per day commuting and claims good mileage (I don't have a number). If you do Interstate driving, you'll have to work at keeping it in the lane with the soft suspension and crosswinds. Otherwise, I'd drive one for a company car if I had to (and really wouldn't complain about it). The old Cavalier was horrid -- my old neighbor had one as a company car. I'd kill myself.

edit: tvent - if you're serious about improving your economy, the ScanGauge is the best investment you could buy. I would hang around a while, see if you continue with the fuel economy interest, and look for a good deal on one. It changed my FE by at least +5 so I can adapt my driving style. Good luck!

Matt Timion 05-15-2006 08:25 PM

Re: I think it's 130 some

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
I've been meaning to bug matt about selling them through the site...

Soon. Hopefully we can work something out with yoshi as well and make this the official distributor of the SuperMID.

thisisntjared 05-15-2006 08:34 PM

wow im kinda disappointed in

wow im kinda disappointed in the aveo... i thought it would do better.

i think aero mods are always the best first step :)

95metro 05-16-2006 05:34 AM

Welcome tvent. Can we

Welcome tvent. Can we consider you part of the Metro club? Your Aveo is the next chapter in the Swift clone lineup...although that's the only thing it shares with my car...

mikefxu 05-16-2006 07:55 AM

Aveo is made by GM Daewoo in

Aveo is made by GM Daewoo in Korea. And like most Korean cars they are cheap and get less than desirable MPG compared to other cars in its class.

tvent 05-16-2006 11:25 AM

gas log posted

I just posted all of my numbers for every tank of gas in my Aveo sice it was new. The only thig is, I did not record the dates, so I made those up. I always fill the tank up and record the mileage. I drove the car from the midwest to the east coast, when it got the best mileage. I do mostly city driving and very short trips.

95metro 05-16-2006 02:20 PM

Well, you average is right

Well, your average is right on the money for the EPA city number...geez, only 27 mpg from a little car though. Looks like Chevy/Suzuki/Daewoo really did cheap out on the fuel eco.

tvent 05-16-2006 03:17 PM

that's why i'm here

I'm here b/c I want to make the mileage better. Seems like people are talking alot about tire pressure. I check mine, and got it at 32psi all around, guess I could put it up to 35 or max? Got to read up on exactly what a hot air intake is and what to try first.

SVOboy 05-16-2006 03:29 PM

PSI = 50 = good,

PSI = 50 = good, :p

95metro 05-16-2006 03:36 PM

Re: that's why i'm here

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvent
I'm here b/c I want to make the mileage better. Seems like people are talking alot about tire pressure. I check mine, and got it at 32psi all around, guess I could put it up to 35 or max? Got to read up on exactly what a hot air intake is and what to try first.

If you're serious about it - and your gaslog seems to prove that - get a ScanGauge before you do anything to the car. That's my personal opinion because any mods done to your vehicle should be tested to death to see if they are any benefit/detriment.

My tires are rated for 35 psi, but I boosted them to 40 and the hot weather pushed them to 44 today. I haven't noticed any difference in the ride and they haven't sprung any sudden leaks. There are many guys on here running high psi and they haven't had problems, but remember that you do all tests/mods at your own risk.

kickflipjr 05-16-2006 04:35 PM

It's nice to see a gas log

It's nice to see a gas log with a ton of entries in it.

The 185 with tires on the aveo can hold 35-45psi with no problems.

zpiloto 05-16-2006 04:57 PM

Welcome.

Welcome.
I agree that if you really want to see big gains in milage a scangauge or other type device is a must. You can improve your milage without having to spend a lot of money just look through the forums and start working on your driving techniques, that doesn't cost a thing, then you can start with the aero and other mods.

tvent 05-27-2006 07:18 AM

Just wondering if kickflipjr took the aveo for a drive and what was the mpg?

SVOboy 05-27-2006 08:17 AM

I believe it was 37 or something like that, he made a thread in the general FE section.

GasSavers_katman 05-27-2006 08:45 AM

I would recommend switching all fluids to synthetics. More power, getter drivability especially in the cold, longer coasts, longer life of your car, cheaper since they last longer, better for the ecology.

GasSavers_wigs 06-21-2007 02:46 AM

Hi I live in South Africa and have an Aveo sedan LT 1500 8 valve manual transmission. It is underpowered and thirsty. It takes a long time to fill the tank to the brim so one tends to get incorrect reading when trying to work out fuel consumption. Also the suspension is noisy. It has much more room inside than a VW Golf or Polo.

MetroMPG 06-21-2007 06:49 AM

Hi wigs, welcome to the site.

I hear you about it being thirsty. In Canada, the Aveo has the worst fuel economy in the available B-car segment, according to government ratings.

People often say, "well it's a Daewoo", what do you expect? But GM and its partners have owned 67% of Daewoo since 2001, so you'd think they would have decided to try a little harder by now...

zpiloto 06-21-2007 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 59891)

I
People often say, "well it's a Daewoo", what do you expect? But GM and its partners have owned 67% of Daewoo since 2001, so you'd think they would have decided to try a little harder by now...

Hey I resemble that remark:D.

Welcome to the site

cfg83 06-21-2007 01:18 PM

tvent -

Welcome to GS! Your manual transmission will help you alot. If there are still things you can do to change your driving style, that will be the place to start. Right now you have the opportunity to establish a baseline of your car's MPG with driving mods only. Maybe just do the tire PSI for now because it's basically free. While you are doing that, you can study all the mods on this site and pick and choose the ones you want to do.

In terms of the ScanGauge, you can also look on ebay. If you don't mind clunky aesthetics and are patient, you can probably get a ScanGauge I for less money.

ScanGauge I Compared to ScanGauge II
https://www.pureenergysystems.com/sto...uge/vI_vII.htm

katman -

Quote:

Originally Posted by katman (Post 14010)
I would recommend switching all fluids to synthetics. More power, getter drivability especially in the cold, longer coasts, longer life of your car, cheaper since they last longer, better for the ecology.

That sounds like a good idea, especially since tvent has a young car. My car has used dino-oil almost all it's life, so I don't want to change it now.

CarloSW2

cfg83 06-21-2007 01:28 PM

MetroMPG -

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 59891)

I hear you about it being thirsty. In Canada, the Aveo has the worst fuel economy in the available B-car segment, according to government ratings.

Yeah, I have heard that too. The word is that the engine design is not as advanced as the competition. I am crossing my fingers that tvent can find MPG tweaks to the Aveo that we don't know about yet.

CarloSW2

MnFocus 06-21-2007 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 59994)
tvent -

Welcome to GS! just do the tire PSI for now because it's basically free. In terms of the ScanGauge, you can also look on ebay. If you don't mind clunky aesthetics and are patient, you can probably get a ScanGauge I for less money.

That sounds like a good idea, especially since tvent has a young car. My car has used dino-oil almost all it's life, so I don't want to change it now.

CarloSW2

Welcome to GasSavers tvent! Like most here I really believe the ScanGauge to be really handy for seeing in realtime what your driving is achieving . Wouldn't worry about doing a bunch of mechanical mods - just good routine maintainance is all that is needed . I see no reason that 40's can't be had with an Aveo - keep working at it !

Synthetic oil and high miles ? I really try to stay gimmick free - but so many people have had great success switching from dino to syn using Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic that I feel pretty good giving it a recommendation . Seems that it does keep the seals from leaking ...as advertised !??Worth a try .

Hockey4mnhs 06-21-2007 01:38 PM

well you say short trips but how short are they because you could prolly bike or walk.

minic6 06-21-2007 05:53 PM

Welcome and all the best in your quest. One thing no one has mentioned (no offense) your car is FATTTT!!!!!! People are demanding better performance with creature comforts and saftey. I believe P/S is standard on your car. So coasting could be a problem experiment in a safe spot. If you just transport yourself, try and loss some weight.Back seats, experiment with pass out, spare, and jack. Can of fix a flat is very lite. Your car weighs about 800lbs more than a Metro and a diet could only help. Mass= poor FE. Your engine is tuned pretty close to the best mileage you'll get. Slow down if you drive 70 try 60! This car is offered with a 1.2 elsewere but not here. Poor marketing to my mind. All the best. People are very helpfull here. Enjoy

Mentalic 06-21-2007 09:02 PM

Tvent,
I've only had my Scangauge for a week now but I highly recommend it if your really serious about getting the most out of your car. I can see that my scangauge is going to pay for itself in less than a year.

Still for a Scangauge to do any good you have to make changes in the way you drive. Before the Scangauge no matter how hard I tried I have never broke the 24mpg barrier on my 4 Runner, always 23.xx mpg... Initially the scangauge daily trip averages were 23-24mpg so the numbers look believable compared to what I have been getting for years. Now the last three trips I made today the scangauge trip mpg indicator was 26.5-27.3mpg!