Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   D15Z1 CRX Hf (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/d15z1-crx-hf-2169.html)

Bunger 05-22-2006 08:17 PM

D15Z1 CRX Hf

Well I thought I might as well toss up some pics of what my CRX is looking like these days. Let me just say that its a little messy, time has been short lately, thank god for cellular internet and a laptop. =)

Engine bay from the drivers side:

https://www.zealautowerks.com/images/...fromdriver.jpg

Engine bay from passenger side:

https://www.zealautowerks.com/images/...s/frompass.jpg

Engine bay from the front (note the giant radiator... such a waste):

https://www.zealautowerks.com/images/gassavers/rad.jpg

The stock d15z1 drivers side mount isn't a perfect fit, I think I'm going to see if a stock d16a6 or such mount will work in its place, but this will do for now:

https://www.zealautowerks.com/images/gassavers/mount.jpg

This is a view of the inside... yea... like that rats nest of a wiring harness over there? I am still working on the last code or 2. Note the full tank of gas:

https://www.zealautowerks.com/images/...s/ratsnest.jpg

Since the car doesn't weigh much... there is a bit of wheel gap, even with stock suspenion... oh and I wasn't the one that painted those calipers:

https://www.zealautowerks.com/images/...s/wheelgap.jpg

Can we say "ground clearance"?:

https://www.zealautowerks.com/images/...rs/toohigh.jpg

On my first test, I worked out 62mpg, but this isn't super accurate, as there weren't many miles to base this off (210 I think). I'm gunna be driving it to work this week, so maybe by sunday I'll have an update on the mileage. Thanks for looking!

Matt Timion 05-22-2006 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunger
The stock d15z1 drivers side mount isn't a perfect fit, I think I'm going to see if a stock d16a6 or such mount will work in its place, but this will do for now:

https://www.zealautowerks.com/images/gassavers/mount.jpg

I was warned about this. Do you think there will be such a problem with a JDM d15b (z1 equivilant) ?

I also have a driver's mount from a 92 DX. Do you think that'll work alright?

SVOboy 05-23-2006 03:51 AM

I wasn't warned about it!

Bunger, you want my old coilovers?

krousdb 05-23-2006 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
I wasn't warned about it!

Bunger, you want my old coilovers?

Talk about built in FE. I'm jealous!

I have old coilovers also as I went back to the stock springs over the weekend. If you want' em you got' em. Too bouncy for me.

SVOboy 05-23-2006 04:38 PM

My mother wants me to get rid of my coilovers.

Dan, we'll be building in somma that for you soon, ;)

How much did you spend ont he z1, bung3r?

krousdb 05-23-2006 05:05 PM

Quote:

My mother wants me to get rid of my coilovers.

Dan, we'll be building in somma that for you soon, ;)

Why does yo mama want you to ditch the coilovers?

SVOboy 05-23-2006 05:08 PM

Cuz she keeps stepping on them in the garage.

kickflipjr 05-23-2006 05:35 PM

lol. That sounds like my dad. He is constantly telling me to do something with all the saturn parts i have in the garage.

thisisntjared 05-23-2006 08:05 PM

haha same thing happened to me. my dad mentioned getting rid of a set of rims i had in there. the bronze hx rims. but in a 3 bay garage when my stuff only takes up half of a bay, its really hard to push me to do anything as far as clearing stuff out.

anyway i ended up trading those rims out for another set up unpainted hx rims. which are now on the car. :)

anyway, clean swap bunger :thumbup: :)

Matt Timion 05-23-2006 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisntjared
anyway, clean swap bunger :thumbup: :)

Definately. Makes me want to do a wire tuck.

Matt Timion 05-23-2006 11:52 PM

https://www.zealautowerks.com/images/...s/frompass.jpg

Bunger, where is the fuel filter? Do you do an in-line filter?

Bunger 05-24-2006 09:07 AM

Quote:

$0... picked it up like 3 years ago for the wideband O2. I actually got it from the Benen Industries guys, I wonder what happened to them?

I'll take a set of coil-overs... I need to get this thing down a few inches =)

The wire tuck isn't 100% complete, started it like 3 years ago, but I used to always get compliments, I guess its more common place now?

Yep, in-line fuel filter... for that cleaner engine bay... of course I need to put back some kind of charcoal canister, the breather line on the fuel tank is venting inside the cabin... smells aweful sometimes.

There is a ton of dirt in the engine bay right now, I really need to clean it, I think it looks messy. =)

thisisntjared 05-24-2006 09:39 AM

Quote:

Yep, in-line fuel filter... for that cleaner engine bay... of course I need to put back some kind of charcoal canister, the breather line on the fuel tank is venting inside the cabin... smells aweful sometimes.

uh.... thats really really really bad. its soo bad it gets three 'really's:eek:

SVOboy 05-25-2006 01:04 PM

Yes, I would like a charcoal canister on your car, :(

I need to find my oil leak, it's not too old, I wonder where it could've come from, I'll have to look, I guess.

Bunger 05-25-2006 01:36 PM

Yea, I've got plans this weekend to go get a new breather line from the junkyard and install the charcoal canister... heck I might even hook up the purge solenoid too. =)

SVOboy 05-25-2006 01:38 PM

Please do, the environment hates you.

MakDiesel 05-31-2006 12:20 PM

I have considered this option myself many times as I have an '89 HF that needs an overhaul and I thought why not upgrade to more power AND more MPG? My question is mainly on the swap...how difficult is it to do? fitment issues? Especially, what wiring issues did you have (are still having)? Has this setup been reliable? Any info or sources of info would be appreciated, I can't find any info on swaps unless it includes going from the lowly (hp-wise) d-series to the more popular b or k-series Honda engines. Mak

Matt Timion 05-31-2006 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakDiesel
I have considered this option myself many times as I have an '89 HF that needs an overhaul and I thought why not upgrade to more power AND more MPG? My question is mainly on the swap...how difficult is it to do? fitment issues? Especially, what wiring issues did you have (are still having)? Has this setup been reliable? Any info or sources of info would be appreciated, I can't find any info on swaps unless it includes going from the lowly (hp-wise) d-series to the more popular b or k-series Honda engines. Mak

Hey Mak,

I'm doing this exact swap right now into my 89 sedan. Should be the same as swapping into your HF, with one exception. You won't have to wire up MPFI as your car already has it.

Check out this thread for my progress:

https://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=875

GasSavers_Randy 05-31-2006 09:20 PM

The other thing about the charcoal canister is that they help mileage. The fumes are flammable, and it automatically compensates for it.

No idea how much it helps, but it's probably a decent amount.

Bunger 06-19-2006 09:33 PM

Just got rid of the last check engine light tonight! Now just gotta get the charcoal canister on there.

Matt Timion 06-19-2006 11:07 PM

Dude, can you explain to me where in the hell your wires are at? I just finished wiring mine up and wires are everywhere... and my wiring is rather clean too.

BTW, I'm going to need help routing vacuum hoses tomorrow. Can you help?

Bunger 06-20-2006 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Dude, can you explain to me where in the hell your wires are at? I just finished wiring mine up and wires are everywhere... and my wiring is rather clean too.

BTW, I'm going to need help routing vacuum hoses tomorrow. Can you help?

I did hidden wiring on my car a number of years back, so lots of stuff is routed through the fenders and such and everything else is pulled into the cabin. I need to spend some time and clean up the cabin wiring though.

I can help you with any vacuum stuff, I've pretty much got that memorized by now. =)

Matt Timion 06-20-2006 07:58 AM

Quote:

I can help you with any vacuum stuff, I've pretty much got that memorized by now. =)

I'll post up some pictures in an hour or so and hopefully you can help based on that.

Bunger 06-20-2006 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I'll post up some pictures in an hour or so and hopefully you can help based on that.

I'll do my very best!

LincolnW 06-20-2006 08:04 AM

The swap looks great!

I don't know how you live without a radio though, I think I would go crazy.

My driver's side mount looks the same way. It's tilted towards the front, like it's not at the correct angle. I don't see any ill effects from this though, so I don't worry about it.

Just curious, what class did you used to race in?

Bunger 06-20-2006 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90CivicStandard
The swap looks great!

I don't know how you live without a radio though, I think I would go crazy.

My driver's side mount looks the same way. It's tilted towards the front, like it's not at the correct angle. I don't see any ill effects from this though, so I don't worry about it.

Just curious, what class did you used to race in?

I've had so many cars now without interior or radio that I'm used to it. It does suck for long trips though (tracks that are far away).

I used to race in CSP, GSP, ITA, and H1. I've also done a bunch of HPDE events in the past. I haven't been very active in the years past, but I was seriously thinking about racing the HF D15z1... =)

Bunger 03-01-2007 12:51 AM

I drove my b18c powered CRX the other day... wow, I can't believe the difference in power and the gears feel SOOO short. Anyways, I've mad some changes to the HF, finally got a set (not great) of HX's on it with some Kumho tires. The car isn't pulling to the left anymore (got it aligned before the tire change and it still pulled), and I swapped in a smaller radiator and got all the bugs worked out. It feels like I can drive forever on $5 of gas.

SVOboy 03-01-2007 05:39 AM

Well, you certainly have turned in an impressive tank there...

MetroMPG 03-01-2007 05:55 AM

No kidding. Bunger: you need to describe your typical commute/driving style/speed/techniques.

Gary Palmer 03-01-2007 08:50 AM

Bunger: Very Impressive! I know you are running a Z1 in and HF chassis. Are you running an HF gearbox? What ecu version are you using.

Bunger 03-01-2007 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 42359)
No kidding. Bunger: you need to describe your typical commute/driving style/speed/techniques.

I don't really drive too much now that I'm working for myself, and I do a lot less driving that involves going up 2500 feet... so I'm sure that helps a lot also. And lately, the driving I've done has been at night, which has allowed me to go slower without causing a serious backup of cars behind me (probably wanting to kill me). I don't have anything to show me instant feedback of how I drive, but my volvo has a fuel computer, so I know pretty much what works and what doesn't. I'm pretty mindful of my throttle position, I don't make fast starts ever, and I will slow down way before a red light to hopefully catch the next green. Besides that... nothing special really. I think if I drove more carefully I could eek out a lot more.

Bunger 03-01-2007 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Palmer (Post 42371)
Bunger: Very Impressive! I know you are running a Z1 in and HF chassis. Are you running an HF gearbox? What ecu version are you using.

I am running a CA spec HF trans, using Honda MTF and only 5w-30 in the motor. (I should try some lighter oil) I'm using the stock 92 civic VX ecu, everything is hooked up correctly now and the O2 sensor is pretty fresh. I made the wiring harness myself, and routed it so that I removed probably 50 feet of wire from it (maybe more).

The car is VERY stripped. Like I've gone as far as cutting out brackets that aren't used anymore. If it rains, I hope that the rain-x does the job, cause there is NO wiper system... no wiper motor, no control stock on the steering column, no wiring, no fuse in the fuse box.

I should really put the car back on the scales again, I may well be under 1500lbs now.

white90crxhf 03-01-2007 07:21 PM

i'd put the wipers back on.

awesome gas mileage! are you turning your engine off any while driving?

Bunger 03-01-2007 08:20 PM

Yea, I've had to pull over a few times because of rain... and with no heater in the car I've had to kinda train myself to breath a little as possible (no joke) to help prevent the windows from fogging up. All that considered, I think I'll leave it as is and just drive it during the summer. I haven't really been going up or down many hills lately, so no real opportunity to turn the engine off.

I've always been very happy with the mileage, always surprises me just how far it goes on a few gallons of fuel. I'd love to see if I could make it 1000 miles on a tank of gas (10.2 gallon tank). That's pretty much my goal. =)

Brian D. 03-02-2007 04:07 AM

I was actually curious about the same. I'm guessing you went with the stock VX transmission? I thought the HF tranny was supposed to be a PITA to mount to the VX motor. (Heck, they're both D15's anyway...right?) Perhaps I'm just thinking of the hydraulic clutch line being an area of concern. But I can see as plain as day that you stuck with the cable clutch line, as the HF uses. Finally, if it is the stock HF tranny that you used, can you tell me which gear setup you have (low altitude or high)? In other words, what's your final drive ratio on this setup? Thx. OH, please keep us up to date on the MPG's.

SVOboy 03-02-2007 04:50 AM

He has an HF tranny, I'm going to assume low altitude, the VX tranny won't mount up in a CRX without custom mounts, at the moment.

Bunger 03-02-2007 06:25 PM

The Hf trans bolts right to the VX motor as easily as the VX trans. I do have to run the 88 flywheel and clutch, as the spine count on the 88 trans is different. It's the HF trans with the shorter final drive (3.25 I think). I wanted to "upgrade" to the taller final drive, but I haven't been able to find one yet.

There is someone who is now producing carbon fiber roofs for Hondas (caps and total replacement) which are suppose to reduce some weight. They are a little pricey though ($600+) and I think my next step to some more weight reduction is going to be lexan rear windows.

McPatrick 10-26-2007 10:52 AM

I know it's an old thread but I was wondering how this project ended up? Did you get it all working well? What kind of gas mileage are you getting now?
It would be great if, now that you (and I am supposing here you did complete the project) completed it could share your thoughts about it, give out some tips. What were the major problems you had to tackle? What would you do differently now (if anything).
If you have the time it would be superb if you could make a DIY with loads of pictures!

MakDiesel 11-04-2007 12:24 AM

I was wondering about how to check codes in my HF-Z1, I have the Rywire conversion w/ Z1 pigtail, I ground the indicated wires and I get a steady check engine light on the dash, but no flickering. Thanks, Mak

Matt Timion 11-04-2007 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakDiesel (Post 79946)
I was wondering about how to check codes in my HF-Z1, I have the Rywire conversion w/ Z1 pigtail, I ground the indicated wires and I get a steady check engine light on the dash, but no flickering. Thanks, Mak

I think that means you don't have a code... I would ground the one wire... can't remember which one, and then the CEL would blink the code.