Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News, Articles and Products (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   UK to ban private auto ownership? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f16/uk-to-ban-private-auto-ownership-21902.html)

LDB 12-28-2021 04:58 AM

UK to ban private auto ownership?

Apparently if some of the politicians get their way.

https://autos.yahoo.com/uk-inches-cl...180000325.html

JockoT 12-28-2021 06:53 AM

No UK government could ever get elected with that policy. I imagine she was trying to distract attention from the sleaze/Covid rule-breaking/lack of decision making that is all over the press.
Not that it got a mention in the UK mainstream press.

Draigflag 12-28-2021 02:26 PM

Ecologically it makes perfect sense as a car spends some 96% of it's life parked up not moving before it's scrapped. Technically speaking, a single car could be shared between 10 or more families, reducing the demand for cars and all the ethical, carbon emitting issues that come with them. But logistically, I can't see it working for at least 2-4 decades at a minimum.

LDB 12-29-2021 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 203682)
Ecologically it makes perfect sense as a car spends some 96% of it's life parked up not moving before it's scrapped. Technically speaking, a single car could be shared between 10 or more families, reducing the demand for cars and all the ethical, carbon emitting issues that come with them. But logistically, I can't see it working for at least 2-4 decades at a minimum.

I can't see it working ever, not for 10 families. Maybe for 2 families although they likely won't be as good friends after a year or two of this than they are when they start.

Draigflag 12-30-2021 01:00 AM

I think it is possible with careful planning. I think sharing everything is the best way to reduce all waste. Imagine a community where a block of 5 houses shares everything. So instead of having 5 washing machines, there's just one and you book a slot. The running costs and repair costs are split between 5, so instead of buying a new one and sending the old one to the scrap, you repair it.

Now apply that model to other things like lawnmowers, leaf blowers, BBQs, printers, cars etc. All these things take up space in and around the home. Instead of a nasty concrete driveway, you could have grass and trees which is better for the environment. Instead of a garage you could have an extra bedroom or larger garden.

That's my concept anyway.

JockoT 12-30-2021 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 203687)
Imagine a community where a block of 5 houses shares everything. So instead of having 5 washing machines, there's just one and you book a slot.

I have just come from that and it was a shambles. Two stairs of 8 houses shared a laundrette with a washing machine and a drier. We all had allocated slots. You would come down to start your washing to find someone had already put a washing in. Or you would find that the previous slot, despite being well spaced out, had left their washing in the drier and not bothered to collect it. One day I got so pi$$ed off I stuck the washing in a black bag and put it in the communal rubbish skip (also abused). If communal living worked mankind would have adapted it centuries ago.

Airstreamer67 12-30-2021 08:21 AM

In a perfect world with properly programmed humans, it could work.

I see the Intelligentsia are talking about brain implants to "improve" the human condition: make us smarter, happier, more willing to follow orders.

The only question is, who programs the brain chips? Obviously, they believe God failed the first go.

LDB 12-31-2021 10:20 AM

I think it is something our progressives promote and desire that is impossible to implement and live with. People just aren't made to live and cope that way long term. They'll go into it enthusiastically and optimistically and before long they'll devolve into me/us and the heck with the others. Then you have things being used out of turn, used improperly, not taken care of correctly and any/all other forms of abuse that self-centeredness can cause. It hasn't worked anywhere else in the world that has tried it, I don't see it working here either, no matter how good an idea it may or may not be.

trollbait 01-02-2022 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JockoT (Post 203688)
If communal living worked mankind would have adapted it centuries ago.

Had it working farther back than that. Some remote tribes might still be living it.

Easier to do with an extended family group than with strangers, but outside pressures will hinder either. Car, washer, etc. companies don't want a group sharing their products when they can sell units to smaller groups and individuals.