Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Kill switch (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/kill-switch-2196.html)

zpiloto 05-26-2006 02:26 PM

Kill switch

Today did engine off coasting and am thinking that's the only way to go. I need to install an engine kill switch. I guess ignition would be the best and easiest to do. So would I just need to get a single pole switch and splice into the power supply to the coil pack? There are three wires coming out of the coil. Red,Black/white and green. Accoroding to the wiring diagram the red and the green go to the PCM and the black/white go to GRN. So would I just need to splice the red wire? Also does anyone know if a kill switch will keep the scangauge alive or is there something else that would need to be done for that?

SVOboy 05-27-2006 08:09 AM

Can't you just make a kill switch by adding a switch into the ignition so that it will cut the constant flow of power that makes it think it's in II (run)?

philmcneal 05-27-2006 10:43 AM

i sure can use a kill switch for my car :( that means i need to touch wires NOOOO!

MetroMPG 05-27-2006 12:03 PM

I made the kill switch for my car because switching the ignition off via the key - even for just a second - put the ScanGauge to sleep and screwed up my FE feedback.

I borrowed an idea from Dan, and spliced into one of the pickup coil wires on the distributor. Not sure what to do on distributor-less cars however.

Someone on the TeamSwift site asked me how to do this, not for the ScanGauge, but because he was a little wary of using the key while driving (concerned about turning the key back too far and accidentally locking the steering).

What's your motivation for the switch, zpiloto?

zpiloto 05-27-2006 01:52 PM

Yesterday I had a bunch of driving, 100 miles, (60 which was highway) and decided to try some engine off coasting. Was able to boost the trip milage by 4.0 MPG with 8 mile of engine off. With the aero mods the coasting is really good and I had several places where the coast was better than .5 miles.

But as you know the scangauge dies and you have to mess with the key. I was thinking that if I went into the coil pack power supply(sounds like the same thing you did) I could kill the engine with out losing the scangauge data. So I'll try a tank with the coasting and if the transmission doesn't complain my plan is a kill switch and push button starter using SVOboy DIY.:D

zpiloto 05-27-2006 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Can't you just make a kill switch by adding a switch into the ignition so that it will cut the constant flow of power that makes it think it's in II (run)?

I thought that's what I would be doing with ignition cut out. But I'm mechcanicaly challanged. I have to study it carefully.

MetroMPG 05-27-2006 03:23 PM

I think the ScanGauge needs to see "II (run)" to stay active. Sounds like you need to interrupt the spark, like I did.

Once you have steady feedback from the SG and you see what engine-off coasting does to your trip average, you'll be hooked :)

zpiloto 05-27-2006 03:50 PM

I'm already hooked.:) Just need to figure out how to make it work.

GasSavers_Ryland 05-28-2006 10:52 AM

how about installing a cut off switch on the fuel injecters? so insted of killing the spark and still having fuel dumped in for a few rotations, it just stops injecting fuel, each injector has I think two wires, either one should kill it, you would need a normaly closed, 4 pole butten switch.

zpiloto 05-28-2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland
how about installing a cut off switch on the fuel injecters? so insted of killing the spark and still having fuel dumped in for a few rotations, it just stops injecting fuel, each injector has I think two wires, either one should kill it, you would need a normaly closed, 4 pole butten switch.

I'll look into that. When you turn the key off does it kill the fuel or ignition or both?