Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   4 day working week (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/4-day-working-week-21974.html)

Draigflag 02-15-2022 01:40 PM

4 day working week

In a few European countries, authorities have trialed 4 (instead of 5) day working weeks, with surprising results. People got paid the same, but had an extra day off. Many businesses found that productivity increased during those 4 days, and employees were less stressed and happier, thier mental health improved too.

I only work around 42-45 hours a week. During lockdown, my boss gave me several Fridays off in a row. I can only agree with what trials have found, I was more relaxed, I had more time for home chores, shopping or more importantly, friends and family. I felt better about life having 3 lie ins instead of just 2. If there was no pay cut, which there hasn't been in the trials, I would back this idea 100%. Some regions have found this concept so overwhelmingly successful, they've permanently switched to a 4 day working week. Now I hear the Welsh government is considering trialing the same thing, I'm very excited.

Any further thoughts or feelings fellow workers?

JockoT 02-15-2022 01:55 PM

Most of the guys I worked with would think great. Instead of working seven days with two days paid at overtime rates, I can work seven with three overtime days!
Personally, now that I am retired I find this the best job I have ever had. Don't know how I found time to have a life AND a job.

Draigflag 02-16-2022 02:04 PM

If retirement age keeps increasing as people live longer, then sadly, I'm probably only half way there. That's quite a daunting thought...

Isn't it a shame we can't enjoy more of life when we're young and able bodied.

LDB 02-17-2022 05:38 PM

When I worked in computer operations we were on a 5 day 40 hour schedule. Then they decided it would work better if we did 12/12/12/6 with Wednesday being the 6 hour day. We were divided into A, B, C and D groups. A/B started their week on Sunday midnight to noon and noon to midnight. On Wed. they'd do midnight to 6am and 6am-noon. C/D did noon-6pm and 6pm-midnight. Then they'd do midnight-noon and noon-midnight. C was the worst as you'd do 6 then have only 6 hours off to come do 12. At least that's how I recall it now, a third of a century later. But you had 3.5 days off after working 3.5 days. We only got paid the same 40 hour salary as when we did 5 8-hour days so 2 extra hours for no extra pay, but it was what it was.

luv2spd 02-18-2022 12:50 PM

In the construction industry we found that working 4 days 10 hours you can get a lot more done than 5 days at 8 hours each. Working 4 days you eliminate the time to get the tools ready and the time required to put them away at the end of the day by one. Also, one less day to fill out safety forms and you only need to clean up 4 days at the end of the job instead of five.

Unfortunately, most companies and unions don't want to have 4 day working weeks.

JockoT 02-19-2022 10:57 AM

I used to work 4 on 3 off, 3 on 4 off. 12-hour shifts. The money was brilliant as was the time off. As for the 12 hours, it was just a day at your work. 8, 10 or 12 hours, once you are there it is a day at work. And it really reduces the travel. I had 160 miles each day.

no-hobo 07-10-2022 11:57 PM

Makes a tonne of sense, personally I prefer to work intensely and less frequently. Also saves time wasted getting to and from work which I find exhausting in itself, especially when there's traffic. Have worked part-time and found that so much better for mental health

JockoT 07-13-2022 06:52 AM

Now I am retired I have a seven day working week, but all for myself.

visorX 07-13-2022 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2spd (Post 203981)
In the construction industry we found that working 4 days 10 hours you can get a lot more done than 5 days at 8 hours each. Working 4 days you eliminate the time to get the tools ready and the time required to put them away at the end of the day by one. Also, one less day to fill out safety forms and you only need to clean up 4 days at the end of the job instead of five.

Unfortunately, most companies and unions don't want to have 4 day working weeks.

That definitely saves time!