Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Porsche Boxster incredible fuel economy (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/porsche-boxster-incredible-fuel-economy-22137.html)

Draigflag 06-07-2022 01:49 PM

Porsche Boxster incredible fuel economy

1 Attachment(s)
My 2012 Boxster's trip computer resets itself after several hours of being parked. Without even trying, on a recent trip to where I do my bi-weekly food shop, I managed to achieve an incredible 45.4 UK MPG.

I wasn't making any special effort to achieve this, I was merely following a steady stream of traffic traveling at the national speed limit or just below. Roof was up, AC off. Weather was good and dry, no wind, terrain was a mix of uphill/downhill, twisty and straight, like most roads here.

It makes me wonder if I could nudge the 50 MPG number if I used a few hypermiling techniques? It came as a pleasent surprise having just filled up at a cost of £2.03 a litre for E5 Supreme unleaded.

luv2spd 06-07-2022 05:40 PM

I bet taking out some extra weight like a tool box, spare tire and adding a few psi pressure to the tires you will easily get 50mpg. That's impressive for a car not built for good fuel consumption. Is yours a Turbo?

Draigflag 06-07-2022 11:03 PM

There isn't much excess weight to remove, no tool kit, no spare tyre etc. It's a relatively light car, although when you lift off the accelerator, you do notice the extra tyre drag as the tyres are pretty wide, especially at the rear. Obviously this is a sports car so traction is more important. But the car has a low slung, long low bonnet, and a slim aero shape, not to mention completely flat underside as there's no exhaust/transmission tunnel, so this definitely helps with economy.

This is the 2.7 flat six N/A. It's the next gen that had the downsized 2.0 L turbo engine, much hated by many Porsche enthusiasts. I can get caught out with N/A engines as I always drive in as high a gear as possible. This can catch you out at lower speeds on inclines, usually in my Gti I just press the accelerator harder and the boost kicks in, and the torque carries you up. In the Boxster, the power band is right at the top, so you don't get that pull that I'm used to.

JockoT 06-08-2022 03:59 AM

Good mpg. Making as much use as you can of Deceleration Fuel Cut Off would boost that. Let the engine do your braking and not the brakes.

Draigflag 06-09-2022 08:26 AM

Yes I do that, especially descending large hills. But like I say, the Boxster seems to slow quicker than other cars which is probably down to the tyres, but could also be engine drag. I do know the gearbox is very versatile, in normal mode, the gear shift indicator is more than happy for you to be in 6th at 30 MPH and the car doesn't labour at all. But you can also be in 2nd at 60 MPH. I like gearboxes you can make the most of at both extremes like that

Draigflag 06-22-2022 01:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did the same run yesterday, roof down all the way. It did read 46.1 MPG until I parked up. Can't complain.