Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Hi from the new guy... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/hi-from-the-new-guy-2242.html)

GasSavers_Jack 06-02-2006 03:34 PM

Hi from the new guy...

Hi everyone. I got this like from SiMateoAko over on honda-tech. My current gas saver it a 1988 Honda CRX DX. I live in the mountains so it is not easy to keep the MPG up going up every day. I currently can get about 40mpg but would like to do a bit better. I drive about 100 miles round trip each day for work so even a little bit will help.

SVOboy 06-02-2006 03:48 PM

Mountains, you're so lucky!

*waits for dan to chime in with links*

krousdb 06-02-2006 04:07 PM

Chiming in now....

Jack, tell me about your drive. From where to where via what routes and what are the elevation changes?

While I am not in the mountains, I have some pretty steep hills to negotiate in Pittsburgh. I have found that they can be an advantage in some cases.

GasSavers_Jack 06-02-2006 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krousdb
Chiming in now....

Jack, tell me about your drive. From where to where via what routes and what are the elevation changes?

While I am not in the mountains, I have some pretty steep hills to negotiate in Pittsburgh. I have found that they can be an advantage in some cases.

Hi Fellow Honda drivers.

I live in Bear Creek Pa and work in Hazleton. Most of my travel is intersate (RT 81) on the way home. To work looks more like this (due to no south ramp onto 81 from 115:

On that map I actually go west and take the first road near the word Bear Creek to 80 then 80 west to 81 .

https://www.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en...zleton+pa&om=1

GasSavers_Jack 06-02-2006 04:39 PM

Oh ya here is the link to my car:

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2230638/1

Not the best looking but it works.

krousdb 06-02-2006 04:39 PM

OK, so how fast do you drive and at what time of day? Auto or 5 Speed?

GasSavers_Jack 06-02-2006 04:42 PM

Quote:

OK, so how fast do you drive and at what time of day?

Used to drive faster but I have myself weened back to 70. I normally leave my house at 8 am but come home anywhere from 2 to 7 depending on the day.

I also just took my tire pressures up from 35 to 50 today when I filled up just to see. Today was 281 miles and filled to click with 7.04 gallons.

krousdb 06-02-2006 04:44 PM

Auto or 5 speed?

GasSavers_Jack 06-02-2006 04:50 PM

5 speed.

SVOboy 06-02-2006 04:51 PM

5 speed alliance!

GasSavers_Jack 06-02-2006 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
5 speed alliance!

Ya but I saw your car and it is a hell of a lot better looking than mine. I am also on the search for lightweight rims like yours.

SVOboy 06-02-2006 05:02 PM

Why thank you, the factory pearl paint only came on 90-91 crx dxs, I think the two colors made for the US market were torino red and celestial blue...

Anyway, good luck looking for the vx rims, I love mine, but you can use insight LRR tires on the HX rims, if you please.

GasSavers_Jack 06-02-2006 05:06 PM

No lie about the vx's the are hard to come by. I may just get the HF rims. I can find those for about $100 a set. Do you have a link that I can read up on the LRR tires?

SVOboy 06-02-2006 05:09 PM

I got my vx rims for 100 bucks shipped, :p

Anyway, search around the site, I'm terrible with links, dan prolly has his thread from when he swapped to hx rims and insight lrrs.

krousdb 06-03-2006 03:11 AM

Not the HF rims Jack, go for the HX with the Insight rubber. It is discussed here:

https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....hlight=potenza

GasSavers_Jack 06-03-2006 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
I got my vx rims for 100 bucks shipped, :p

Anyway, search around the site, I'm terrible with links, dan prolly has his thread from when he swapped to hx rims and insight lrrs.

Nice! The best I have found it $300 + shipping.

GasSavers_Ryland 06-03-2006 08:48 PM

for rims try https://www.car-parts.com cheap parts, and often they are local.

krousdb 06-04-2006 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack
Nice! The best I have found it $300 + shipping.

I got mine on Ebay for $230 and drove an 8 hours RT to pick them up. They were worth it for me. They went cheaper than normal because they were for local pickup only.

psyshack 06-04-2006 11:19 AM

Mod's will help with the mpg. But its not the total package. Slowing down a bit more and load driving the hills with a FAS on the down side will help alot.

I dont load drive like krousdb or xcel anymore. But I do load drive. I have hills in my daily drive. I use to load drive them to the point that i would let them scrub 10 mph or better off my mph. Not anymore, maybe let them take 5 mph then top the climb and pull a 1 mile FAS.

Another thing that helps is bleeding on slight down hill runs. I have places on my drive where its ever so slightly down hill. I can ever so lightly let out of the gas and watch my speed increase and my mpg go way up on the real time readout in my ScanGauge. I can be doing 65 mph going down the hwy hit one of these areas and be at 70 mph and see a steady 60 mpg on my SG.

Hills can be intresting in the FE game. i would much rather drive them than ubber flat land. Where P&G and or bleeding are your only options to improve mpg. There just flat boring options and not worth my time or effort.

krousdb 06-04-2006 11:33 AM

Based on what you have just described, I would say that you drive exactly the way that I drive. I don't loose more than 5 MPH while climbing hills and un slight downhills I also bach off to see the FE skyrocket. On the steeper downhills I FAS. Hills are your friend for sure.

Wayne's driving is much more extreme than mine which is exactly why he will always post better numbers than I will. I can live with that.;)

GasSavers_katman 06-04-2006 03:35 PM

OK, time for a vocabulary lesson.
FAS
Bleeding
P&G

psyshack 06-04-2006 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katman
OK, time for a vocabulary lesson.
FAS
Bleeding
P&G

FAS > Forced Auto Stop. basicly turning the engine off. Be it on a coast or at a stop light. MPG is always better the less the engine runs. :)

Bleeding > Its kinda half a P&G if you will. Either done on level ground or on a slight decline. It involves extreme throttle control. Movent of the throttle that you mite not even beable to feel. I only use it on very slight down hill grades. basicly as you enter this slight down hill grade you ever so slightly take pressure off the throttle. Your goal is to maintain speed. heck sometimes speed will go up when you nail it right. If you have a ScanGauge or supermid or what ever its called like others on this site have. You will see you instant mpg start climbing very nice. Used when a FAS wont work.

P&G > Pulsa and Gluide. Its roots go way way back in FE driving. But its claim to fame has been in hybrids. Its also alot of work IMHO. But in certin cars can produce steller results. Lets say your on a stretch of road thats flat as a board. Our target speed is 60 mph. We get to 60 mph and then we begin a bleed say down to 55 mph. We then start speeding up to our 60 mph target. But we do it very very slow. In some hybrids you pick up some very lite assist from the electric motor and dont really use much of the pack. And then we start bleeding again. This is a very repetative driving style and not for the faint at heart. It takes alot of conctration and throttle control. It has alot of varibles that can be played with for diff. cars and over all driving styles. Used alot on hwy's and in city driving. The challenge for hybrid drivers is to know when to loose a P&G cycle or two to get the pack recharged.

GasSavers_katman 06-04-2006 10:14 PM

Thank You! Very detailed! I like! We need to compile a complete and detailed list of terms and techniques as a sticky!

tomauto 06-04-2006 10:20 PM

vocab.

a vocabulary sticky would be great! matt what can you do?

GasSavers_Jack 06-05-2006 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland
for rims try https://www.car-parts.com cheap parts, and often they are local.

Thanks I did. They list tons of them but when you call they dont have them anymore.

GasSavers_Jack 06-06-2006 08:10 AM

Quote:

Not the HF rims Jack, go for the HX with the Insight rubber. It is discussed here:

https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....hlight=potenza

How much do the HX rims run?

Matt Timion 06-06-2006 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack
How much do the HX rims run?

I purchased a pair for $260 shipped on ebay a while ago. I then sold them for $300 plus shipping a few months later.

It all depends, but I'd say somewhere between $200 and $300 for the pair is normal for HX rims.

GasSavers_Jack 06-06-2006 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I purchased a pair for $260 shipped on ebay a while ago. I then sold them for $300 plus shipping a few months later.

It all depends, but I'd say somewhere between $200 and $300 for the pair is normal for HX rims.

Matt, thanks for the info,

Jack

thisisntjared 06-06-2006 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion

it depends on the quality of paint, curbage, and tires. i picked mine up for 250 with tires that were had 10k miles left, but the bronze paint was immaculant and there was no curbage.

krousdb 06-06-2006 03:03 PM

$230 local pickup for me, ebay of course.