Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   smart car FE forum (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/smart-car-fe-forum-2245.html)

Sludgy 06-06-2006 06:36 AM

Smart Car mileage

From reading the forums, it looks like the Smart Cars average about 5 liters per 100 km, about 45 mpg. This isn't anything to brag about, imho.

The Smart Car may be cute and easy to park, but a Toyota Corolla (seating 4, not 2) gets 41 highway mpg. Now, if Toyota could just find a ~1 liter turbodiesel in its parts bins, they'd have a real car with great mileage.

MetroMPG 06-06-2006 06:49 AM

FYI, the NRCAN ratings for the smart are:

City: 4.6 L/100km (51.1 mpg US)
Highway: 3.7 L/100km (63.5 mpg US)
Combined: 4.2 L/100 km (56 mpg US)

I believe I've read that the EPA estimates are lower. Not sure why. This is the case with my Firefly as well (CDN ratings much higher than EPA).

95metro 06-06-2006 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
I believe I've read that the EPA estimates are lower. Not sure why. This is the case with my Firefly as well (CDN ratings much higher than EPA).

Maybe they're testing in NWT and temp. correcting? :D

thisisntjared 06-06-2006 01:03 PM

there is the smart for4, which seats four people.

also the smart was designed for city driving. you will never see one on the autobahn, thats why this highway mpg isnt as impressive as it could be. if youve driven one you would know why they are so ideal for city life. they are very punchy and fun to drive with the close ratio sequential box. the handling is perfect for 90 degree city block turns. i think the corolla sucks in these circumstances and if i had to choose between my civic and a smart for city driving i would choose the smart, hands down, without even considering fuel consumption.

in america it would have to take on something different to work the lifestyle.

smartzuuk 06-13-2006 11:55 PM

I'm here finally.

The posted economy for the smart in Canada is as shown above, but the EPA are reporting the estimates for a gasoline version, not the diesel.

The smart has a friction disc type clutch, 6 speeds, and the clutch is electronically controlled via a typical shifter (tap forward or backwards), or by the steering wheel paddles.

95metro 06-15-2006 06:33 AM

Cool. Welcome! Hope you stick around so we can see what the little car is capable of.

SVOboy 06-15-2006 06:38 AM

Hell, we already know it's capable of 105mpg! Darin needs to get in gear with a belly pan when he's back from sailing and mehbe he can top that!

zpiloto 06-15-2006 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartzuuk
I'm here finally.

The posted economy for the smart in Canada is as shown above, but the EPA are reporting the estimates for a gasoline version, not the diesel.

The smart has a friction disc type clutch, 6 speeds, and the clutch is electronically controlled via a typical shifter (tap forward or backwards), or by the steering wheel paddles.

Welcome. Don't forget to fill out your garage once you get used to looking around so we can see how it does.:)

smartzuuk 06-15-2006 07:12 AM

When I return from Saskatchewan, I will be reviewing this site further for more ideas... and yes, I'll try to update my profile too. I actually have a lot of data, just not all posted online.

The smart is not a very aerodynamic car - and anything that can improve that would improve the best possible mileage.

I only ran 43 PSI yesterday - I hear some folks here run more.

Remember again that the Zap cars in the USA are *gasoline*, and do not get the outstanding economy that the diesel can get.

I would suggest contacting Mike T at clubsmartcar.ca for technical information on the car. He's the technical guru.

SVOboy 06-15-2006 07:13 AM

Some folks here run 70psi, I only run 50, but that's because I'm lazy, I guess.