Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   smart car FE forum (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/smart-car-fe-forum-2245.html)

MetroMPG 06-03-2006 10:01 AM

smart car FE forum

I guess the smart car owner from 100mpg.ca elected not to sign up here. Too bad - it would have been interesting to learn about his experiences with that unique vehicle.

As it turns out, a link turned up in my web logs from a forum for Canadian Smart car owners.

So if you're interested in peeking in and reading about the fuel economy issues relating to the smart that those folks are talking about, here they are:

https://www.clubsmartcar.ca/forums/viewforum.php?f=30

MetroMPG 06-03-2006 10:25 AM

Here's a thought: who else besides me would be interested in hearing about the particular FE challenges/issues relating to driving the smart car?

Its diesel engine and 6-speed sequential gearbox play by a different set of rules than most of our cars (the transmission in particular, I imagine).

I was thinking of signing up at the smart forum, introducing myself and inviting them to send a delegate as a "guest speaker" to come over here for a Q & A.

Would anybody else like to see that happen?

SVOboy 06-03-2006 10:27 AM

the first thing they might do is explain a sequential gear box to me.

krousdb 06-03-2006 10:32 AM

I dunno either but maybe it means that you have to shift gears in sequence. No skipping gears. Yuck!

MetroMPG 06-03-2006 10:39 AM

It may also mean no going to neutral... I couldn't do that on my motorcycle's sequential transmission anyway (I could get to neutral only from 1st or 2nd).

krousdb 06-03-2006 10:49 AM

OK, so it's like a motorcycle transmission? I wonder if it has the foot pedal for shifting and a hand activated clutch?

MetroMPG 06-03-2006 11:40 AM

Funny ha ha. They're actually like "manumatics". No clutch pedal. All electronic.

If I remember correctly, the base models require you to shift all the time (push shift lever fwd/back to change, no H pattern), the higher ups have steering wheel paddles and an "automatic" logic so you can let the car do it all if you want.

The transmission is one of the most common criticisms I've read about the car. (Actually the only criticism I can recall.) Jerky, laggy shifts in auto mode being the issue.

95metro 06-03-2006 06:25 PM

I'd certainly like to hear about the smart car in general and in regard to FE. Of course, I'd also like to see other vehicles such as the Echo, Yaris, Festiva, Aspire, and other small cars. But, I guess I have to take what I can find.

kickflipjr 06-04-2006 01:52 PM

Cool Link. I am always looking at other fuel economy forums for information.

thisisntjared 06-05-2006 08:51 PM

alright im super tired so ill make this quick. manumatic gear boxes are just those automatic gear boxes in which you can choose the gear, there is delay and it feels largely disconnected.

a sequential box has 1 flywheel and 2 clutches(one for 1,3,5 the other for 2,4,6). when it is in each gear the other clutch has the next gear ready and the flywheel slips to the other clutch seemlessly. it is super fast and all electronically controlled. the best sequential boxes are made by audi, the dsg, and bmw, the smgII. the real advantage is that it can shift crisply and precisely through all the gears 1-6 then back down 6-1 faster than any of us could pull a quick 1-2.

fuel economy implications: less time shifting with better flow with traffic and same gas spent.

Sludgy 06-06-2006 06:36 AM

Smart Car mileage

From reading the forums, it looks like the Smart Cars average about 5 liters per 100 km, about 45 mpg. This isn't anything to brag about, imho.

The Smart Car may be cute and easy to park, but a Toyota Corolla (seating 4, not 2) gets 41 highway mpg. Now, if Toyota could just find a ~1 liter turbodiesel in its parts bins, they'd have a real car with great mileage.

MetroMPG 06-06-2006 06:49 AM

FYI, the NRCAN ratings for the smart are:

City: 4.6 L/100km (51.1 mpg US)
Highway: 3.7 L/100km (63.5 mpg US)
Combined: 4.2 L/100 km (56 mpg US)

I believe I've read that the EPA estimates are lower. Not sure why. This is the case with my Firefly as well (CDN ratings much higher than EPA).

95metro 06-06-2006 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
I believe I've read that the EPA estimates are lower. Not sure why. This is the case with my Firefly as well (CDN ratings much higher than EPA).

Maybe they're testing in NWT and temp. correcting? :D

thisisntjared 06-06-2006 01:03 PM

there is the smart for4, which seats four people.

also the smart was designed for city driving. you will never see one on the autobahn, thats why this highway mpg isnt as impressive as it could be. if youve driven one you would know why they are so ideal for city life. they are very punchy and fun to drive with the close ratio sequential box. the handling is perfect for 90 degree city block turns. i think the corolla sucks in these circumstances and if i had to choose between my civic and a smart for city driving i would choose the smart, hands down, without even considering fuel consumption.

in america it would have to take on something different to work the lifestyle.

smartzuuk 06-13-2006 11:55 PM

I'm here finally.

The posted economy for the smart in Canada is as shown above, but the EPA are reporting the estimates for a gasoline version, not the diesel.

The smart has a friction disc type clutch, 6 speeds, and the clutch is electronically controlled via a typical shifter (tap forward or backwards), or by the steering wheel paddles.

95metro 06-15-2006 06:33 AM

Cool. Welcome! Hope you stick around so we can see what the little car is capable of.

SVOboy 06-15-2006 06:38 AM

Hell, we already know it's capable of 105mpg! Darin needs to get in gear with a belly pan when he's back from sailing and mehbe he can top that!

zpiloto 06-15-2006 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartzuuk
I'm here finally.

The posted economy for the smart in Canada is as shown above, but the EPA are reporting the estimates for a gasoline version, not the diesel.

The smart has a friction disc type clutch, 6 speeds, and the clutch is electronically controlled via a typical shifter (tap forward or backwards), or by the steering wheel paddles.

Welcome. Don't forget to fill out your garage once you get used to looking around so we can see how it does.:)

smartzuuk 06-15-2006 07:12 AM

When I return from Saskatchewan, I will be reviewing this site further for more ideas... and yes, I'll try to update my profile too. I actually have a lot of data, just not all posted online.

The smart is not a very aerodynamic car - and anything that can improve that would improve the best possible mileage.

I only ran 43 PSI yesterday - I hear some folks here run more.

Remember again that the Zap cars in the USA are *gasoline*, and do not get the outstanding economy that the diesel can get.

I would suggest contacting Mike T at clubsmartcar.ca for technical information on the car. He's the technical guru.

SVOboy 06-15-2006 07:13 AM

Some folks here run 70psi, I only run 50, but that's because I'm lazy, I guess.

GasSavers_Jack 06-15-2006 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Some folks here run 70psi, I only run 50, but that's because I'm lazy, I guess.

I run 60psi only because that is what my tire gage goes to and I can make sure they are all at 60 and not just guesses. I also noticed that the local gas station with "free air" has one of those machines that you set the pressure to and it stops dinging at that pressure. It ran my first tire to pegging my gage at what I would guess to be 80ish and didn't yet shutt off so I am more careful now.

SVOboy 06-15-2006 07:22 AM

Last time I filled mine was at a shop, and their gauges got to 150 so I was pretty confident, :p

Mighty Mira 06-15-2006 07:40 AM

Anyone have any idea of what is a good maximum PSI? How do you guys estimate it? I've always used 40, perhaps I should go higher?

GasSavers_Jack 06-15-2006 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mighty Mira
Anyone have any idea of what is a good maximum PSI? How do you guys estimate it? I've always used 40, perhaps I should go higher?

I always ran mine at about 38 until finding this site. I pumped mine up to 60. Car feels "peppier" and rolls alot better however I live on a dirt road and you have to take it easy or you can rattle teeth loose. I am very happy with it. In my guestimate I went from about 38-39 Mpg to about 41+.

Other info found here: https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....=tyre+pressure